Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 PM

98 posts, read 318,267 times

Advertisements

Hubby is laid off apprentice electrician, we currently live in Illinois. Is there any state that is doing better than others in construction? He did mostly residential and service with a bit of commercial. We are more than willing to relocate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjnny View Post
Hubby is laid off apprentice electrician, we currently live in Illinois. Is there any state that is doing better than others in construction? He did mostly residential and service with a bit of commercial. We are more than willing to relocate. Thanks
Search Indeed.com with the keyword Electrician.

Indeed scans all Career Builder, Yahoo, Monster, local classified, 1000's of employers. It is usually a good gauge for how various markets are doing.

I work the Texas market (and the rest of the US and beyond selectively) for Electrical Engineering type projects and Electrical Contracting in General (Texas Master and EE), and even here, while there is some stuff going on, I have to say that to dump the expenses into relocation is a Very Risky move.

If he/you see anything of interest on Indeed.com, maybe consider working an area as more of a traveler than moving/relocation. Learn from the Mexicans that work the US markets. They travel far, go cheap, sleep hot-cot, and keep the expenses down. As I joke with the guys -- we are all Mexicans, now.

So in short, I see you may have some difficulty ahead on hitting a target. Is he Union (only)? He may have to line up licensing locally for areas of interest. If he can target Federal Contractors, they tend to pay better, and tend to be exempt from local licensing requirements.

If he is now drawing unemployment and you have that ahead for a while, I would consider some "niche" markets that you can work from your area for the year(s) ahead.

examples: Small (farm / household sized) Windmills. Solar (thermal -- NOT PV). UPS/Generators. Something he can start small locally and expand.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM

364 posts, read 1,081,146 times
I live in PA and know of a lot of laid off union electricians. Most are struggling badly to get by. It's a bad market here in PA. Just my .02 about union electricians in PA....If he can, look at some major companies that hire maintenance electricians. Those guys are union sometimes and end up making more in the long run since they are not ever laid off. Most companies want union experience so look into that. I'm talking companies like Boeing or something of that nature. Try to look in your home state first and then branch out a bit...Good luck

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,184,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjnny View Post
If he is a part of the IBEW apprenticeship program then he can't transfer to another local until he is a journeyman. If he is non-union then he can do whatever he wants. Work is really bad right now though.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,682,682 times
Consider that there are many many thousands of very skilled and experienced Electricians applying for the same job he is as an inexperienced fresh out of school beginner. When employers have their choices from the cream of the crop, who do you think they will hire?

The entire construction industry has been devastated in these DEPRESSION times. Yes it is a depression by all neutral non govt opinions. Most of us know the unemployment figures put out by the govt is all hogwash. The true rate is about double as reported. The unemployment rate among construction professionals is about 4 times the official govt reported overall rates.

I have my finger on what's going on across the country and from what I see and hear, the Washington DC areas are feeling little pain during this depression. Residents describe the attitude as the roaring 20s......well all those overpaid govt clowns ya know who have job security and earn double the national average for their cushy featherbedding jobs.

The only advice I have really kinda sucks. He should have gotten a job with the govt or went to medical school. Other then that the only 2 remaining businesses left standing after America falls might be Walmart and Bank of America

If you listen to advice and positive sentiment from your govt you will lose. That is a given. It is not good out there.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM

98 posts, read 318,267 times
Thanks fo everyone's replies. He can go take the test and become licensed now, but not sure what that would really do. We have a few options. He has supervisory experience in business and a Bachelors in Science degree so we may head that way.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
Very thin in NC right now. I've been in business 2 1/2 years & been close to closing many times. If you can do something where you are, better to do that than to move & disrupt your lives, if you like where you are.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 17,109 times
Default Electricians and More

[FONT=Verdana]Most electricians are having serious difficulties in finding a job for at least 25 hours a week. All the colleges and vocational schools with construction related profiles are lacking students and many already suspended classes. This situation will linger for at least 3 more years when the number of electricians will be lower and the demand for them higher. The volume of construction permits is 83% smaller than in 2007. We all know that is an atypical year for construction industry, but many pursued construction trades career and now they got to change their profile. From an average salary for a journeyman of 40 K and 55 K for a master, people are happy now to make half of it. The few. The proud. The lucky ones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]All remained electrical contractors are underbidding and that means the worker has to perform much faster and more accurate for less money.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In terms of hourly income related to workload I consider the income is at half of what used to be in 2004.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It will be better in few years but right now most help could come from massive natural disasters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]

Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,173,442 times
Don't move north to Michigan!
I don't know any state in the country that is doing well, construction-wise. And as pointed out, most are bidding lower or working for much less than they were 5-10 years ago. That's if they're working at all.

This is probably a good time for your husband to capitalise on his degree and other experience. I don't think things are going to improve much in the construction field for years. I'm in the field, but all my work is residential now and I am bringing in less money and haven't hired a crew since 2006. I've also diversified to stay afloat. The only place I'm making money is high-end residential (paint, drywall, decorative plaster.)

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM

981 posts, read 1,622,290 times
Ever consider industrial electrical work? That is where the money and jobs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment