Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
.....said the pot. Sorry, but you started something and then accused others of it, and now try to justify it with some weak "oh you know what he meant." I know what he said, and what you said.

Perhaps the fact that most illegals ARE Hispanic has something to do w/it?

ie this isn't a "race thing," it's an "illegals thing." Please stop trying to play the race card. It's so lame and old it defies description.

Hey no racism there.

Please stop grabbing bigger shovels.

And yes, a person's appearance certainly can be a valid reason to treat someone differently ( as appearances matter to all of us); I guarantee every one of us does it on a frequent basis, even if in subtle ways and whether we realize it or not. That doesn't make us "racist."
Hmm...I'll try to say this in the best way I can without having any more feathers ruffled. I think you're missing my point.

In certain situations it makes sense to judge based on appearance, but in certain situations it doesn't. For instance, irregardless of race, many people wouldn't feel comfortable going out for drinks with someone with an angry look and prison tattoos on their face. They'd feel more comfortable with someone who looks more upscale, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, that's not what the original topic was about. It's about someone you don't know knocking on your door and asking for work. In this situation, you don't have to think very much or try to figure it out based on appearance. The answer should always be "No thanks" (Then lock your door). While that may sound cold, people are left with no other choice today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
These are Americans. The illegal aliens stand in the parking lot of a near by shopping center, hundreds of them somedays. When a car slows down the illegals will run towards the car.

These guys who have been knocking at our door are old fashioned hillbillies who look just like the picture in my first post.

If you were going to hire someone to help with light landscaping, would you:

1) Hire the white American born Hillybilly knocking at your door for $15 an hour

2) The illegal alien day laborer hanging out in front of the 7-11 Store for $10 an hour

3) Or a company that is licensed bonded and insured but charge $50 an hour.
I would hire the licensed bonded and insured company that charges $50.00.

Sorry, I don't want to carry liability on someone's worker on my property.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 PM
NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I would hire the licensed bonded and insured company that charges $50.00.

Sorry, I don't want to carry liability on someone's worker on my property.
Another good point that hasn't been talked about much yet. What if they took a little slip or fall? Could be a large payment coming their way.

Even if you have good umbrella insurance policy, at the least it will be a pain to work through. One of these things at will probably come back to bite you in the you know what for trying to save a few bucks, being a good citizen or whatever. Just not worth it.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
The answer should always be "No thanks" (Then lock your door). While that may sound cold, people are left with no other choice today.
No argument there....

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
I mess with people that knock on my door. The housing complex I live in has lines of people trying to get in because our school district is among the best in the state and near a very popular train station to Wallstreet.

The other day a real estate sales person came up to my door because I guess she knew that I have no kids so maybe I'm more likely to sell to a good offer. I pretend to be a plastic surgeon and I get into sales person mode, and totally BS for 5 minutes straight and then tell her all the things wrong with her that really need fixing. Give her weird looks when she says she likes her nose... haha, I'm such a rebel. The entertainment really makes her visit worth my while.

Man, I question the definition of 'gated community' every other day.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 AM

10,115 posts, read 19,415,962 times
You can't be suspicious of the whole human race.

About 3 years ago, a Mexican guy knocked on our door, asking for yard work, we took a chance, his rates were about half the going rate for the area.

Since then, we've hired various members of his family for painting, house cleaning, etc. They are cash only, I don't know if they report it or not, that's not my concern.

If I didn't hire them I couldn't afford to hire licensed, bonded, insured companies, I used to be like some posters here, insist on insurance, etc, but I think that risk is overstated. We carry an unbrella policy, because face it, anyone could hurt themselves on your property, workers or not.

BTW, my Mexican workers have been great, work hard, charge reasonable rates, and have helped out with emergency repairs, etc, while dh was away---like I say, you have to trust somebody.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can't be suspicious of the whole human race.

About 3 years ago, a Mexican guy knocked on our door, asking for yard work, we took a chance, his rates were about half the going rate for the area.

Since then, we've hired various members of his family for painting, house cleaning, etc. They are cash only, I don't know if they report it or not, that's not my concern.

If I didn't hire them I couldn't afford to hire licensed, bonded, insured companies, I used to be like some posters here, insist on insurance, etc, but I think that risk is overstated. We carry an unbrella policy, because face it, anyone could hurt themselves on your property, workers or not.

BTW, my Mexican workers have been great, work hard, charge reasonable rates, and have helped out with emergency repairs, etc, while dh was away---like I say, you have to trust somebody.
This is all fine. The only problem is that you could possible be funding an illegal family. That's not fine.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
It looks like a lot of people are paranoid. And it seems like everyone except for a few people have forgot about "Love thy neighbor" a Christian sentiment.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No argument there....
Glad we agree on something bro

Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Recently we have had quite a few people ring our door bell asking for work. They are usually country type people who drive in from rural Virginia or West Virginia and have few corporate type skills. Many of them look like the stereotype of the West Virginia Redneck/Hillbilly.

http://www.reputationdefenderblog.co...hill-billy.jpg

They usually ask if we need tree work, house cleaning, yard work or something fixed. Many seem desperate. But very eager, polite, friendly and ready to hard work at a low price. Cash, no checks.

If you needed something done would you hire someone who knocked at the door and begged for work?

I would never hire someone who knocks on my door. It isn't worth risking your safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment