Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM

677 posts, read 1,621,389 times

Advertisements

I suppose that this could carry on to other areas of life, but the most often place that I see it is in work situations. My question to you is this:

Why are people so negative when discussing unconventional careers, or careers in general?

Of course everyone has an opinion but it seems like negativity is way more prevalent lately than it has been. Or maybe I'm just noticing it now. People seem to think that it's impossible to reach for your dreams and is instead 'better' to play it safe and choose to spend your life doing something they would consider normal and predictable, that fits easily into their narrow collection of social norms.

Obviously anyone who is really committed to their goals wouldn't let this stand in their way. But it really makes me think. Is a life of mediocrity all that we have to hope for? Being in a career that may be stable but brings us unhappiness? What's the point in doing that?

I guess that I just don't understand how anyone could insult, demean, attack another person for wanting to follow their dreams and have a career that they enjoy and want to go to every day. I really respect people who have the dedication to get to where they want to be, despite the negativity of others and the roadblocks that may get in their way.

But really, what's the worst that can happen? If I decide tomorrow that I want to be a movie producer, I could move to L.A., try to make connections, get an entry-level gig somewhere to build my skills...I could try and try and try. Maybe nothing would come of it. But if that happened...so what? What did I lose by striving for a goal? Maybe a bit of money, maybe a bit of time. But I've definitely learned something along the way and have gained valuable life experiences. In addition, I didn't sell out and I know that I spent my time the best way that I could have.

Has anyone here taken any career risks? How did it work out for you?

Now obviously there are some people who want careers with little competition and that's great. I'm not saying that to be happy a person should have to strive for a career that's really out there, especially if it's something that they don't find interesting or fulfilling. In fact that's the exact opposite of what I would encourage a person to do. It just seems like the people who DO want something out of the ordinary undergo a lot of scrutiny from their peers and elders. I'm not really sure why that is. I suppose it just goes back to the strange idea that some people will never be able to accept alternative lifestyles in any way, whether it has to do with a career, relationships, family situation, etc. What a strange world we live in.

Last edited by mchelle; 06-22-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I suppose it just goes back to the strange idea that some people will never be able to accept alternative lifestyles in any way, whether it has to do with a career, relationships, family situation, etc. What a strange world we live in.
I think the problem lies in the fact that we live in such a critical society in which there exists the phrase "alternate lifestyle".

Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 AM

677 posts, read 1,621,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think the problem lies in the fact that we live in such a critical society in which there exists the phrase "alternate lifestyle".
Very true. The stereotypes are driving me crazy. I don't know why people feel the need to critique another person's choices. Live and be happy, why can't we all just wish that for one another instead of draining each other with negativity?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM

25 posts, read 89,782 times
Because it goes against our nature as humans where we have this stupid tendency to standardize everything, and if someone deviates from what we perceive as normal, they get heavily criticized. Most people usually tend to be comfortable following some preexisting guidelines that tell them what to do and how to go about their daily lives, but there are those who like to live by their own rules and they are the ones who get resented by the rest of us for being brave enough to follow their dreams and pay the price for doing so. But then again, these are the ones who advance humanity in every field whereas the rest of us are here merely to ensure that Homo sapiens never go extinct.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM

274 posts, read 998,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post

Why are people so negative when discussing unconventional careers, or careers in general?

Of course everyone has an opinion but it seems like negativity is way more prevalent lately than it has been. Or maybe I'm just noticing it now. People seem to think that it's impossible to reach for your dreams and is instead 'better' to play it safe and choose to spend your life doing something they would consider normal and predictable, that fits easily into their narrow collection of social norms.

Obviously anyone who is really committed to their goals wouldn't let this stand in their way. But it really makes me think. Is a life of mediocrity all that we have to hope for? Being in a career that may be stable but brings us unhappiness? What's the point in doing that?

I guess that I just don't understand how anyone could insult, demean, attack another person for wanting to follow their dreams and have a career that they enjoy and want to go to every day. I really respect people who have the dedication to get to where they want to be, despite the negativity of others and the roadblocks that may get in their way.

But really, what's the worst that can happen? If I decide tomorrow that I want to be a movie producer, I could move to L.A., try to make connections, get an entry-level gig somewhere to build my skills...I could try and try and try. Maybe nothing would come of it. But if that happened...so what? What did I lose by striving for a goal? Maybe a bit of money, maybe a bit of time. But I've definitely learned something along the way and have gained valuable life experiences. In addition, I didn't sell out and I know that I spent my time the best way that I could have.

Has anyone here taken any career risks? How did it work out for you?

Now obviously there are some people who want careers with little competition and that's great. I'm not saying that to be happy a person should have to strive for a career that's really out there, especially if it's something that they don't find interesting or fulfilling. In fact that's the exact opposite of what I would encourage a person to do. It just seems like the people who DO want something out of the ordinary undergo a lot of scrutiny from their peers and elders. I'm not really sure why that is. I suppose it just goes back to the strange idea that some people will never be able to accept alternative lifestyles in any way, whether it has to do with a career, relationships, family situation, etc. What a strange world we live in.
many people are afraid of change, most times when they are "established" with families and with children. i really think nowadays with the job market being what it is and the economy picking up very slowly, it's very easy to focus on the negatives and blame everyone for shortfalls and seemingly unfairness. regarding careers, i think people tend to only want the jobs they know that are in their comfort zone (again, not wanting to change or explore) typically because A) they're used to only doing 1 thing B) it's too risky because they have a family C) it's too expensive for further training and/or educational advancement to attain the next level

however, i think while those are good valid reasons, anything can be done as long as you can dedicate time for it and you're passionate in doing it.

regarding career risks (and if you couldn't tell already), i am a firm believer of doing what YOU want... yes, even in this economy. it is possible and there are opportunities out there, but just like getting the finer things in life, you have to know where to find them. you should never live your life and do things according to someone else's wishes or desires. you will always miss out on 100% of the opportunities you don't take.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
My view on career risk taking: A person must be willing to undergo some degree of risk taking as playing it safe in life will not get a person anywhere. It all depends upon what risks they are taking and whether they thought through the consequences prior to taking the risk.

Two years ago, I left a high paying, permanent clerical job with full benefits to gain experience in my chosen career field through several part-time assignments. These assignments were lucrative but offered no stability nor benefits. Due to the economy, I find myself unable to secure the hours I had previously and now struggling to find full-time work in my field. Sometimes I find myself regretting my decision but as I reflect back upon my clerical career, I was really unhappy due to the personalities of those who were supervising me (power trips, etc). I recall months before I resigned how I nearly had a nervous breakdown because of the pressure and the feeling that I could not do ANYTHING right. Although my new field has stresses involved, I have never felt any panic attacks nor other ill effects. I LOVE what I do and despite the odds, I believe that it WILL work out for me if I don't give up.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM

274 posts, read 998,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I LOVE what I do and despite the odds, I believe that it WILL work out for me if I don't give up.
don't just 'believe' chatteress; it WILL happen for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment