Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 54,626 times

Advertisements

First, we love this site. We've been looking at moving for a few months and have found most people's insights to be very helpful! Thank you.

We're looking at accepting a position in Beloit, WI. We know we don't want to live there, however, we'd love to get some input on commutable neighborhoods (as in 45 minutes max). We already visited the area and were fairly impressed with the Roscoe area but the real estate prices seemed quite high. We're open to both Illinois and WI. Any suggestions or input would be great!

What's important to us?

1) Quality of schools (kids ages 6, 8, 12)
2) More suburban than rural housing options (kids to be near other kids)
3) Community sports / activities for kids
4) Preferably a more liberal type of community than a stuffy conservative environment
5) Close to the staple amenities (walmart, malls, home depot type places) (but not TOO close)
6) Trees - I know that sounds crazy but we don't want to buy a cookie cutter house in a cornfield
7) Housing options for 300k or less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Janesville sounds like it has all of the qualities you are looking for. It has it's own shopping mecca for the county with every box store you could imagine....and the housing runs the gamit from new, treeless subdivisions to more established residential areas. I think it would be hard to find housed over 300K in Janesville! It is a safe, small city, with good access to other cities...and good schools. The only negative is the high taxes, but you do get what you pay for.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 54,626 times
Anyone else out there have thoughts on this? Are the southern suburbs of Madison too far of a drive from Beloit? Any immediate advantage between living in Illinois and Wisconsin?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Evansville is a 1/2 hour drive from Beloit and is a very nice smaller community. Also Milton and Clinton are nice smaller communities within a 1/2 hour drive. Personally, I like all of them more than I like Janesville but that is more than likely because I grew up in Beloit and the rivalry between Beloit and Janesville is too deeply ingrained at this point.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 116,781 times
Wink Reconsider Beloit

Beloit has some real quality neighborhoods you might like to consider. East Ridge is the most prized possesion of southern Wisconsin, with oak trees dating hundreds of years old and moderate home prices and a great neighborhood elementary school. These homes have huge lots and are located on Beautiful Turtle Creek. Easy access to I-90 and all the shopping you could ever want. (10 minutes to Janesville (north), (20 to Rockford ( south). You will not find a better location then Beloit.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Default uhh, janesville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Evansville is a 1/2 hour drive from Beloit and is a very nice smaller community. Also Milton and Clinton are nice smaller communities within a 1/2 hour drive. Personally, I like all of them more than I like Janesville but that is more than likely because I grew up in Beloit and the rivalry between Beloit and Janesville is too deeply ingrained at this point.
Janesville has OK shopping, but its a crapshoot.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Janesville sounds like it has all of the qualities you are looking for. It has it's own shopping mecca for the county with every box store you could imagine....and the housing runs the gamit from new, treeless subdivisions to more established residential areas. I think it would be hard to find housed over 300K in Janesville! It is a safe, small city, with good access to other cities...and good schools. The only negative is the high taxes, but you do get what you pay for.
Janesville would be a bad choice, "the city of spread out". Taxes are high, but you are not getting anything more. The homes are cookie cutter and the environment is conservative and closed minded. BAD CHOICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin