Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times

Advertisements

It's not sad at all! It is such pretty area in Northwest Wi.! I plan to spend many years discovering it all. Instead of "armchair" traveling, I do computer traveling and have a list of places I want to see this year alone: Chetek, Bayfield, Superior. I want to get to know LaCrosse, as I just rode thru there, but it is so pretty around there.
I also want to get to know the area around Baraboo, as somewhere down the line, it may be where we finally settle, keeping the land up north for recreation. We don't know at this point, we have to spend quality time with our land, first.
For the people who are here (Wisconsin) full time, you are so lucky. It is a jewel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
For the people who are here (Wisconsin) full time, you are so lucky. It is a jewel.
I don't see Wisconsin as some natural beauty jewel at all. I think it's rather boring. Especially when you compare it to: Basically every other state except the plain states and southern states.

If I had to rank Wisconsin on Beauty It would be near the bottom. I just don't think we hold a candle to states like CA, Washington, Maine, Idaho, Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, Tennessee, West Virgina, Vermont, NH, NY State or Montana.

I have been to every state except Alaska and Hawaii and I don't think their is anything special at all about our state.

Don't get me wrong, at least we are not Indiana or ILL or Iowa.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Well, to each their own, Milwaukee City.

Have you spent a lot of time in the northern part of the state. The drive from Eau Claire or Rice Lake to Duluth (or vice versa) is amazing in the fall. So many big rollling hills, so much green.

I definitely have to whole-heartedly disagree that Montana is prettier than Wisconsin. The western and southern parts are beautiful and fun to drive through, definitely. Kalispell, Missoula, Bozeman, Butte. But most of those trees are pines and not the leafy kind that change color. And then to actually live there? Hmmmph. You can only look at the scenery for so long before you think "Okay, now what do I do, if I'm not hunting or mountain climbing?"

You might be able to say the same about Wisconsin, but I was two hours away from Minneapolis and very near Duluth. The culture was there if I wanted it. Here in Montana... even their biggest city is not exactly a Minneapolis, Madison, or Chicago. I think Billings is the biggest. And it's no biggie. lol

From my town Great Falls and eastward... it's actually where it starts to become flat and drab. My town is about where the greenery begins to end. Lewistown is really where it ends, I'd say. Then it's all rocky brown flatlands. And the people in Wisconsin are generally nicer. A pride in the surroundings, too. Even the rest stops get nicer as you travel eastward from Montana toward Minnesota/Wisconsin. You see flowers in planters outside. haha

There's a work ethic there that doesn't exist here, too. I sold magazines part-time for a while a few years ago and my boss was from Arizona. He concurred that there is a laziness about people in Montana vs. his employees in Arizona. They just want an easy paycheck here (Montana).

I wasn't crazy about the move to Montana anyway. We moved because my mother got married. She was excited about the change, and she really tried for a good 5 years to like it. But then, eventually, she resigned herself to the fact that it would never feel like home. It would never seem as pretty, the people would never seem as kind. There's an odd standoffishness here I can't describe. Almost like a hesitance to talk to you, or something? It's an oddness. I call it "Montana odd." It's heavier in some people than in others. (My co-worker is a good example... he's lived his whole life here, and he was downright rude when we first met. And now I think he thinks he's kind of my buddy? I'm like, "Hmm, I didn't get that memo, but okay....")

And my mom was actually trying. A lot can be said for your own attitude, I believe that. Home is what you make it to a large degree. And this town has improved since I began to accept it and do my best to enjoy it. I've found things I like to do and whatnot. And there are things and places I'll miss when I leave. But it is ALSO very true that certain places have their own attitudes. And no amount of trying to adjust will change that. My mom is proof of that, she really tried. LOL!

Okay, back on the subject now.... I've not been to the Milwaukee area. Is it still pretty green down in that area?

ImaloneJill! Chetek still has an outdoor theater I think. Last film I saw there was a stinker. "I Love Trouble" with Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts way back when.
But that makes it quite unique. Just beautiful countryside. Good fishing. There is a restaurant there that may still be open. It's been so many years. I think it's called Pokegema or something? We used to go there now and then with my grandparents. My grandpa used to manage a turkey farm outside Chetek.

Last edited by MSPLove; 02-08-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I definitely have to whole-heartedly disagree that Montana is prettier than Wisconsin. The western and southern parts are beautiful and fun to drive through, definitely. Kalispell, Missoula, Bozeman, Butte. But most of those trees are pines and not the leafy kind that change color. And then to actually live there? Hmmmph. You can only look at the scenery for so long before you think "Okay, now what do I do, if I'm not hunting or mountain climbing?"

Even the rest stops get nicer as you travel eastward from Montana toward Minnesota/Wisconsin. You see flowers in planters outside. haha
Can't disagree with you when it comes to rest stops! I only see Wisconsin's beauty as far northern WI and the driftless area which is nice but it's no Mountain range. Most of Wisconsin though is very average and boring.

Yeah Milwaukee barely has any snow but a big storm is on the way and could bring up to 15inchess but since it will be lake effect snow it will light and fluffy and very easy to shovel.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Can't disagree with you when it comes to rest stops! I only see Wisconsin's beauty as far northern WI and the driftless area which is nice but it's no Mountain range. Most of Wisconsin though is very average and boring.

Yeah Milwaukee barely has any snow but a big storm is on the way and could bring up to 15inchess but since it will be lake effect snow it will light and fluffy and very easy to shovel.
I guess it's all in how much you value mountains. Mountains are pretty. In fact on my way to work the other day, I looked over and noticed how pretty that faraway mountain was. The way the sun was shining in that part of the day it almost looked unworldly for a second. (But where I live there is very little mountain viewing. There are one or two in the faraway distance, that's it.)

Do I wish Wisconsin and Minnesota had mountains, Sure. But... in exchange for trees, green, endless lakes, and hospitality, I'll happily say good-bye to them.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Well, I have done my share of traveling, and have been to at least half of the 50 states, inc. Alaska and Hawaii. There are places that are beautiful, but are not realistic for me to live in. such as the last two states I mentioned.
As for California, I would really only consider living in the northern part, and who could afford to live there?
Same with Oregon and Washington State.
Nevada and Arizona are beautiful, but I would miss the green.
I spent alot of time in Tennessee, as my in-laws lived there for 17 years. It is a pretty state, but, I would never live there. It is a place where the education is either the worst in the country or very near last.
And I prefer my lakes to be clear and cold. I also like the way Wisconsin works to protect their natural resources.
But yeah, as my friend Minnesconsinite said, to each his own.
BTW, MNite, there is a Lake Pokegama there so that could be the name.
I love the rest stop in LaCrosse.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Well, I have done my share of traveling, and have been to at least half of the 50 states, inc. Alaska and Hawaii. There are places that are beautiful, but are not realistic for me to live in. such as the last two states I mentioned.
As for California, I would really only consider living in the northern part, and who could afford to live there?
Same with Oregon and Washington State.
Nevada and Arizona are beautiful, but I would miss the green.
I spent alot of time in Tennessee, as my in-laws lived there for 17 years. It is a pretty state, but, I would never live there. It is a place where the education is either the worst in the country or very near last.
And I prefer my lakes to be clear and cold. I also like the way Wisconsin works to protect their natural resources.
But yeah, as my friend Minnesconsinite said, to each his own.
BTW, MNite, there is a Lake Pokegama there so that could be the name.
I love the rest stop in LaCrosse.

Ahh, look what I found in 5 seconds. What doesn't have a website these days? Welcome Back to The Pokegama!
It became a tradition where I had to get a roll of "Lion Mints" they sold at the cash register everytime before we left.

Washington State is beautiful. I might not mind living in the Tacoma area if I had any family out there.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say. I've only missed seeing a few states (8) but I wouldn't put Wisconsin that low on the list!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,538 times
I would say Wisconsin rates higher on the "peaceful" scale than the "beautiful" scale. As long as you're not around a city. I suppose peaceful = boring to some people. I love everything about our property in the country by Owen.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Yeah, and I am not sure I made any references to Wisconsin being the most beautiful place to live. I did, however, say the places I have been to have been pretty-Door County, the Minocqua area and Hayward, Black River Falls.
Why it is a jewel for me is because I don't see smog or polluted rivers and streams, and if there are, the Wisconsin DNR is working to correct this. Many areas have protected covenants, eliminating the eyesores you see down south. The area we have chosen is still relatively unspoiled. In fact, if you can believe the info given by the DNR, the Upper Chippewa Basin is one of the least populated areas in the state, and that's okay by me.
The dairy farms I have seen have been picturesque and for the most part, well taken care of. This was on the ride from Ladysmith to Lancaster.
Very few people I know can afford to pick up and leave children, grandchildren and aging parents to pursue their dream of living in a place of rugged natural beauty- such as Oregon, Maine or Northern California. These places come at a high cost-either in property value, cost of living or proximity to family. And for this reason, I think Wisconsin fits my ideal of being green, clean, and yes, peaceful. Also, I choose to be close to my family in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin