Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Good for you! Congratulations! I'm as happy for you as I am jealous of you. You were the guy who posted 6 years ago on the first page of this thread that all you wanted to do was retire and move back, and I remember wondering if you'd ever made it back. That's a great photo; it reminds me of something Steinbeck once said - that the only place in the world that he'd ever seen the light as soft and clear and golden as Wisconsin was in Greece. When I first read that, I understood exactly what he was talking about, and your photo captures it perfectly.

I grew up an only child at the end of a mile long-dirt road, the nearest neighbor a mile away in any direction, and ten miles from the nearest town - which was pretty small at the time - and I've never been happier. I wish to god I could move back and spend the rest of my life there, but it'll never happen. My wife can't handle the cold. We're for the West Coast in a few years, and a Mediterranean climate, but my heart will always be in Wisconsin, and it will always be my home. At least two or three nights a week I dream that I'm in Wisconsin - the northern forests, the rolling hills and small farms around Amherst, the Chain of Lakes at Waupaca, the backwater sloughs of the Wisconsin River - and then I wake up and I'm only in Kentucky. What a terrible way to start the day.

It was a great place to grow up as a child and my 9 year old daughter loves it now too. I spent many years in AZ and lastly Guam. I'm sure happy to be back in a cool climate. My wife isn't as fond of the weather as me.
Attached Thumbnails
Small town/country life in Wisconsin-20150822_081802.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
YOu mean they don't even complain about the weather in small towns?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,857 times
A few do.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM

306 posts, read 336,300 times
I love rural Wisconsin. I've lived in Marathon County my whole life, and although, admittedly, I don't plan on living here much longer, I will always be thankful to have been raised here and to get to come back and visit family whenever I wish.

I've done quite a bit of travelling over the last couple years, so I've made friends from all over the country (and world, for that matter), and I incessantly brag on Wisconsin.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:30 PM

51 posts, read 48,394 times
Default Yes there is a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Ive only been there twice and there IS a difference (and plan on going back yet again!). My favourite part of the areas we went to is not only no traffic, but no block fences to shield the sound of traffic and no bright city lights close by so you cant see the night sky. Glad to see someone else enjoys the serinity.
As always, small town/country pics are gorgeous.
I know this is an old post, but I just found it, and it really strikes a chord. I have a (former) friend who was fond of telling me "Every place is the same." Uh, no it isn't. The beautiful, peaceful, rural places in the Great Midwest are the polar opposite of the crowded metroplexes. I can't wait to escape the over-crowded, road-raging Denver/front range area, and return to someplace relatively quiet and sane.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:04 PM

346 posts, read 463,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just found it, and it really strikes a chord. I have a (former) friend who was fond of telling me "Every place is the same." Uh, no it isn't. The beautiful, peaceful, rural places in the Great Midwest are the polar opposite of the crowded metroplexes. I can't wait to escape the over-crowded, road-raging Denver/front range area, and return to someplace relatively quiet and sane.

Just curious, why not settle in rural Colorado?

I love visiting rural Wisconsin, but I also loved rural Oregon when I lived in that fair state.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
I've been looking into the McCall/Cascade area of central Idaho at 5,000ft elevation. Nice area with a big lake and mountains everywhere. There is a position opening that I'm qualified for, but it is two hours removed from a larger city as well. Nice climate there if you like more snowfall, 130 inches a season, and the warmest month having an average 80F high and 41F low temperature.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
What a great thread. OP has made it back and enjoys his dream of retirement and has shared some great photos of that wonderful green grass and blue sky country. I admit to being a little bit jealous.

I left WI just over two years ago and miss it dearly, having grown up in N. Wisconsin and enjoyed the big forest and clear lakes. As much as it is beautiful and I miss it, the economy is still a huge challenge to overcome when dependent on a career to feed the family. Unfortunately, Texas provided the opportunity professionally that Wisconsin could not.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

51 posts, read 48,394 times
In response to "why not settle in rural Colorado?", which I often get asked: Because it would still be in Colorado. I do love much about this place - especially all the wonderful local open space parks and trails - but I feel the need to get back to my original home; to be closer to my family and old friends. I just don't want to live anywhere in the desert southwest any more. I need cornfields, farms, and a slower pace, at this point in my life. And humidity.

I always hear variations of this same theme from Coloradans, something along the lines of "How could you possibly leave Colorado?!! It's PARADISE on Earth!!!" No, it ain't. It's nice, and it's great if you like it, but it's not for everyone. No quarrel with those who love it, it's just time to go home.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:48 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Colorado doesn't have the mosquitos though, and it still has all the outdoor activities... that's pretty sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin