Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,504 times

Advertisements

I moved to WI for a job from halfway across the country. Right before the holidays I was informed that I was going to be laid off as of that Friday. I have been looking around for a job, ANY job, and have had no luck.

For everyone that is local and has ideas on where to look for work, PLEASE help. I am a long ways away from my family and new to the area so I don't know where to look and I'm getting really nervous.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas!

sk8r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM

647 posts, read 1,664,913 times
Have you looked into ABR or a temp agency for the time being?

Since you have access to a computer, another option may be the Wisconsin Jobnet.

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/JobNet/mapWI.htm

Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Thank you for the reply about this....I was working through ABR and I have been in contact with them since being laid off. They are looking for employment for me but so far they have had no luck.

I will check out the WI Jobnet and see what I can find there. Thank you again for taking the time to reply to this and including the link to the site.

sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
Have you looked into ABR or a temp agency for the time being?

Since you have access to a computer, another option may be the Wisconsin Jobnet.

Wisconsin Job Search

Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,881,088 times
If you are serious about any job, Schwans is almost always hiring. Long hard days but you can make good money, and they offer full benefits as well. DH did it for a few years and was very successful. Check out their website for openings.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 AM

537 posts, read 1,940,905 times
What kind of work are you looking for. The job center in Wausau on Grand Ave is a great resource. There are also a few temp agencies worth checking out too. The hospital and North Central Health Care are usually always hiring. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Still Out of Work

I posted this 3 weeks ago and since that time I was able to get a job but was asked not to come back after 4 days. This was through a Temp agency. I asked that Temp agency what jobs they have now and they told me that they don't have anything at the moment. Is the economy going downhill so bad that there are no jobs to be had? I have worked in many different industries so I have a good background yet I couldn't even get a job at a movie store.

Anyone that is from here or knows somewhere that may be hiring, your help would be appreciated. I have only worked 4 days out of the past 5 weeks and there is a 4 year old at home to take care of. In reading this it sounds desperate, I guess that is because I am at this point. If you read my previous posts, I am from out of state so I don't have the first idea of where to go to look for work.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rvirgo28 View Post
I posted this 3 weeks ago and since that time I was able to get a job but was asked not to come back after 4 days. This was through a Temp agency. I asked that Temp agency what jobs they have now and they told me that they don't have anything at the moment. Is the economy going downhill so bad that there are no jobs to be had? I have worked in many different industries so I have a good background yet I couldn't even get a job at a movie store.

Anyone that is from here or knows somewhere that may be hiring, your help would be appreciated. I have only worked 4 days out of the past 5 weeks and there is a 4 year old at home to take care of. In reading this it sounds desperate, I guess that is because I am at this point. If you read my previous posts, I am from out of state so I don't have the first idea of where to go to look for work.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Why were you asked not to come back from your temp job after 4 days? Did the assignment end? Or were they unhappy with your performance?

If your assignment just ended, then fine. But if they were unhappy with your performance, then maybe you might want to do some soul-searching and make sure your difficulty finding a job isn't more about YOU than it is about the job market right now.

I'm not trying to be mean...I'm just trying to put a practical and realistic light on your job finding struggles. You might need to brush up on some of your skills, or maybe work on your attitude. I'm not suggesting that this is definitely the case, but it's something worth thinking about. Personal growth and updating your job skills might go a long way in helping you to land (or keep) a job.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,905 times
I know Aspirus is always hiring and I would also check out St. Claires. Have you tried the schools? I know DC Everest and Mosinee are always looking for aides even as substitute you can work almost everyday.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,913 times
Another possibility is going back to school to earn a degree. You may qualify for financial aid which would help will the finances, plus you'll then be that much ahead of those who don't have any degrees.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,538,136 times
Hard to know what to suggest when you havent told us what you do. ?? This economy is rough on companies and many jobs that typically would exist are being cut back. Having just hit a market you'll be hard pressed to break back in.

What type of work CAN you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin