Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 PM

7 posts, read 27,874 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently accepted a job in Dorchester. We had never been to Wisconsin before his job interview...moving there from Florida. I'm very confused as to where to look for housing. We have two school age children and am mostly interested in which High Schools are the best as we homeschool through Elem. and Middle School. Some have told us to look in the Marshfield Area (I haven't visited there yet) and some say to live on the West side of Wausau. We would prefer to be as close to Dorchester as possible, but not knowing the area or the schools...I'm very confused. Any help would be nice. We are also looking for a contemporary church. (we are Southern Baptist but I don't think there are many there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM

97 posts, read 376,487 times
Where will he be working? How much are you looking at spending on housing? I am asking because we just recently relocating and are about to put our home on the market. Are you looking for a country setting?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,542 times
you can find a nice place in the country around dorchester pretty cheap and your travel costs will be way way less. If you can deal with not much shopping you will save a ton of $$$$$ and drive in 1 or 2 x per week to marshfield and stock up on your groceries. It's what I would do, but I can live like that, many can't

Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM

He is working in Dorchester at Liberty Homes. We will be looking for a house w/ 4 BR at least 3500 sq ft in the 300 - 500,000 range. Living in the country doesn't bother me as long as the schools are great. I figure he drives to work every day...I drive to town once or twice a week. W/ the cost of gas, seems more practical to live closer to work, but then again...we have to consider the children and their socialization and activities too so he would be willing to drive 20 - 30 min to work ea. way.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 PM

122 posts, read 519,319 times
I am positive you will be able to find a home for less than 500k in that area with 4 bedrooms. Look at Medford or Abbottsford as well. Do an Edina Realty search for that area of Wisconsin, it shouldn't take long to find a home. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM

122 posts, read 519,319 times
I just found a 4 bed 3 bath home in Owen that is 85,000, only 2500 square feet however. You would have to do a Google search to find out how far Owen is from Dorchester, doesn't look too far. Looks like a decent home, just needs some updating. With your 500k budget, you could have a castle.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM

20 posts, read 38,105 times
My advice to you is to "google" everything you are confused about. Call and talk to different schools to see what they have to offer and go from there. WI has awesome schools. Living close to your husband's work will not only save time and money, it will limit his time in the cruddy weather conditions in the winter time. You are moving to a very beautiful part of the state....very rural. If you do not find the smaller towns suitable, I suggest Wausau. I lived there for a year recently, and I enjoyed it very much....and you'd be by the highway to zip down "south" to explore other parts of the state. And I think you will find a church in the area you will like.......google and you shall find!!! Or call the chamber of commerces. They know a lot about the area, schools, churches, etc.
I've had some major moves in my life, and WI has by far been the best place I've ever lived. Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Thank you for the advise...I'm getting excited about the move...I've lived in the South all my life and have never seen much snow. Life's an adventure!! I'm looking forward to new experiences. We hope to move sometime next month...I'm going on a house hunting trip in a few weeks.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:29 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Be tough to find a So.Baptist church in a heavily Catholic/Lutheran area but
maybe some of the "Community" churches might come close.
Very conservative area though.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
3 Southern Baptist churches in Wausau.
SBC ChurchSearch Results by City & State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin