Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM

195 posts, read 515,609 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in California and are relocating to Wisconsin next summer. We lived in Manitowoc for three years and moved back to Ca due to a work transfer. Manitowoc was nice but we found that on weekends we were always in the Appleton or Green Bay areas, We are familiar with both areas, but I want to know what the locals have to say on the pro and cons. We have done quite a bit of research ourselves. Housing seems to be comparable. I 'd like to know about entertainment, outdoor activities, and community sponsered events such as festivals, craft fair, and parades. We have two daughter still at home and will be 19 and 17 when we move. My son and his wife will be coming too and they have a son who will be a year old. Thank you for any input you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,756 times
Appleton has been getting alot of great restaraunts downtown the last couple of years. It's also got a great farmer's market on Saturdays. And good shopping; people from Green Bay often come here to shop. Don't know how long it's been since you have been here, but there is a (5 years or so) new performing arts center downtown hosting top quality shows.

I'd hesitate to call any part of Wisconsin sophisticated, but Appleton's got a leg up on Green Bay at least. I don't have alot to say about Green Bay except that the city is old, looks and smells it, and has alot more riff raff around. Plus that town is obsessed with the Packers and the drama queen that has become Brett Favre.

You'll probably hear a few comments about the drinking nightlife on Appleton's College Ave, and the truth is that there's a large crowd every weekend. However, there are more police present than any other bar area I've ever seen, keeping order and such. Which makes it the best of both worlds for anyone. Green Bay in contrast has popped up in the news plenty of times for significant fights or worse at their bars.

Curious what part of CA you are living in; I've been thinking of moving out there for a long time now.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
I live in Appleton and I would say "ditto" to what Yo Vanilla wrote. I'm not a big fan of Appleton but it beats Green Bay hands down.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 PM

195 posts, read 515,609 times
I live in an a city called Menifee. We are about an hour north of San Diego or an hour or so east of Los Angeles. May I ask what would bring you to the SoCal area Yo Vanilla? I can let you know anything youd like to know about the area. We have been back in Ca for 6 years now this August. We really miss WI. BacktoNE where are you waiting to move back to?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
I live in an a city called Menifee. We are about an hour north of San Diego or an hour or so east of Los Angeles. May I ask what would bring you to the SoCal area Yo Vanilla? I can let you know anything youd like to know about the area. We have been back in Ca for 6 years now this August. We really miss WI. BacktoNE where are you waiting to move back to?
New England, specifically our home State of Maine.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM

656 posts, read 1,310,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
New England, specifically our home State of Maine.
will you be moving back there anytime soon? hopefully you will get home soon It's horrible to be homesick and feel stuck somewhere when your heart is somewhere else. all my best to you.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
will you be moving back there anytime soon? hopefully you will get home soon It's horrible to be homesick and feel stuck somewhere when your heart is somewhere else. all my best to you.
Thank you Shannon. We should be back home by this time next year.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
Like Vanilla said, neither city is particularly sophisticated. They're both very whitebread, Leave It To Beaver kind of towns. Very conservative. A little bit exclusive in terms of social circles. Not much to do for teenagers, to be honest.

Appleton has a leg up on GB, though. Appleton is much nicer.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,965 times
I can never understand why people like Appleton so much better than Green Bay. Personally, I find Appleton to be congested and full of snobs. There are plenty of things to do in Green Bay. I like taking the kids to Bay Beach all the time. I actually prefer living in a rural area with easy access to either city. But truthfully, we only go to Appleton when we have to. I find it much easier to get to all the stores I need to go to in the Green Bay area.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
California is where the cars are. Ideally I'd like to work in the car business because that's what I love. The LA area has so many downsides, but nearly everything in the industry is present there. Plus, I heard it's warm out that way Who knows, I've been talking about that for nearly a decade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin