Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 38,892 times

Advertisements

My Dh is talking to Mills Fleet Farm in Appleton about a position in their corporate office. Anyone know what the work environment is like there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,461,066 times
Probably like all Home Improvement centers. Did he have any corporate material to share with you? Are the hours competitive or set? Being that it is an office job, it may be similar to other office environments.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 AM

He's worked in other corporate environments. And knows people throughout the industry. The hours are very set. Some corporations are very much chew em up & spit them out, and people are burnt out very quickly. He is not getting that impression with F & F, but hoping to learn something from someone first hand.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,400,962 times
They used to be combined with Blaine's Farm and Fleet which is head quartered in Janesville. Things are changing slowly with BFF, but it has been a very conservative corporate culture.

Not sure if they are similar at all since there was a split, but here is my impression of BFF. Until the last 10 years they made a huge deal of simple things such as accepting checks - you actually had to go to the service counter to get them approved - but currently they will even accept debit cards. Almost 20th century stuff! Forget credit cards, though, I don't see that ever happening. They may have an "in house" card though, not sure.

Very cheap and small minded in my opinion. Seems to be micromanaged.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
I don't think it's accurate that Mills Fleet Farm and Blain's Farm and Fleet used to be combined. For one, Farm and Fleet is a franchised-owned operation (Blains just happens to own a lot of them) while Mills Fleet Farm is corporate-owned chain. They were founded by separate families back in the 50s. So I don't think it's necessarily fair to give an assessment of Mills Fleet Farm's corporate culture based on BF&F's practices.

And at any rate, I don't really blame them for not taking credit cards. The interchange fees on credit cards are borderline outrageous and it can make a big dent for companies that operate in industries with razor-thin profit margins. Even Wal-Mart stopped accepting MasterCard credit charges on debit-capable cards until MasterCard agreed to reduce their interchange fee. BF&F and Woodmans (who also don't take credit cards) are in industries with tiny profit margins where interchange fees can make or break a profit margin in any given quarter. Unfortunately for them, they don't have the kind of bargaining power Wal-Mart does.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 AM

20 posts, read 150,972 times
Fleet Farm has its own credit card.
I know this because EVERY time I am writing out a check in clear view of the clerk, they always ask me if I will be putting this on my Fleet Farm card today.
I figure they have to ask this so I refrain from giving them a hard time.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks everyone for responding.

Things I know - While Blains & Mills look remarkably similar, there is and never was a connection between the two. They did start around the same time , Blains in WI, Mills in Brainerd MN. Mills main office is now in Appleton WI. Mills pays close attention to their bottom line. They operate debt free. They expect their employees in the corporate office to work 10 hours days Mon- Fri & every other Sat morning 8-12.

So if anyone has any experience with working for Mills, or knows someone who has, I sure would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,828 times
Fleet Farm has taken regular credit cards for awhile now. They also have their own card.
It is a myth that Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm were owned by brothers. I like Farm and Fleet better but we have Fleet Farm here.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 24,998 times
I do know that the Fleet Farm in Appleton is brand new, as of the last 3 or so years. It takes up all four corners of the street!! Apparently it has stuffed exotic animals inside, though I've never been in myself to see them.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM

656 posts, read 1,310,258 times
i worked for mills fleet farm. not in appleton though. i found it a really nice place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin