Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 44,010 times

Advertisements

hi, myself and my family are looking at moving to wisconsin to live and work we currently reside in north wales uk. We have looked at some town's and cities and like the sound of Appleton and the village Wales (for obvious reason lol) where we currently live is fairly small but over the past couple of years has gone down hill we don't have the same resources as yourselves when it comes to sex offenders we don't get told where they reside which is very unnerving considering we have 6 children just recently 3 were caught and they all lived on the same street which also has all our local schools. Ihate walking anywhere at night and don't like my children going anywhere as there is nothing to do and all the youngsters hang around looking for trouble and drinking and smoking, not a nice place to raise children. So back to my question now i've finished ranting (sorry) any info would be great and if anyone has any pics of these places that would be great, but if you recommend any other places that also would be fantastic as you know wisconsin and i'm just reading about it. Anyway thanks for your time reading this hope i didn't bore you all to sleep!

Many thanks
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Appleton has been voted one of the safest cities in the United States numerous times over the years. There almost seems like there is a conservative feel to the town. Madison is alot more liberal. Any ways Appleton from what I've seen when I've been there has quite a bit for a family to do. You have Lake Winnebago, museums. I know Appleton can be somewhat expensive... But not as pricey as Madison.

Good Luck

Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM

thank you for your information it probley won't be as expensive as here we're paying about £9 (about $18) a litre for fuel to run a car our cost of living has rocketed this year and for a nice place to live you can pay around £800 (about $1600 on av) and that does not include any services etc thats where we live but in the cities you can pretty much double it

Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 AM

made a mistake i mean't a gallon not a litre probley won't be long untill it is that much

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 11,907 times
Personally I like the Menomonie/Eau Claire area. Big enough to have a little of something for everyone but yet small enough to give that "home town" feeling. But of course it is growing and I wouldn't be surprised if within 20 years it would be like a small suburb or the Twin Cities area.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM

thank you i'll have a look at those places

Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM

122 posts, read 519,419 times
Default Wisconsin is a nice state

You will like Wisconsin. People are overall friendly. I prefer small towns over the large ones. I live in Turtle Lake which is about 1100 people. It is an hour or so from a large city like Eau Claire and about 1-1/2 hours from the Twin Cities Metro area in MN.

However, I am planning, or trying to plan, a move to Montana. That is where my heart lies.

Good luck with your planning.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 41,953 times
I've lived in the Menomonie/Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls (our area is called the Chippewa Valley) area most of my life. Even though I've traveled this state, and quite a few others, extensively, I believe this part of the state is the nicest place to live. There aren't any "huge" cities, but we're, at most, two hours away from a few. I love being able to go to St.Paul or Madison whenever I feel like it, or just drive five miles down the road to the state park.

We have just as much in the way of art, entertainment and culture as larger cities. It's just spaced differently, lol. Let me know if you'd like any info about our area-I'll send you links to websites about our area.

Marsha

Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 41,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJS View Post
Personally I like the Menomonie/Eau Claire area. Big enough to have a little of something for everyone but yet small enough to give that "home town" feeling. But of course it is growing and I wouldn't be surprised if within 20 years it would be like a small suburb or the Twin Cities area.

I grew up between Elk Mound and Downsville. That area will always have a special place in my heart. Our family church is out that way, as well as our family cemetary. I guess if I had to pick a permanent place to live the rest of my days, it would be in that area.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:55 AM

thank you so much links to websites would be great they sound ideal places as i come from a fairly small town which i've lived in all my life so i think a big city would scare me lol my husband is more experienced with bigger places as he has lived in lots of different places, thank you for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin