Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 08:21 AM

10 posts, read 16,009 times

Advertisements

Hi CityData,

OP here. So, I did make the move to Eau Claire this past summer, but unfortunately, I have to move back to the tri-state area (but Platteville this time....no way am I moving back to IA....I switched my car to WI plates and mailed back my IA plates for a refund as a passive-aggressive you-know-what). I've decided that living alone is a priority for me and Eau Claire is so expensive that even adults have to get roommates. Is Eau Claire turning into Denver and Seattle in that regard? I hope not.

Actually, Eau Claire does have some things in common with Seattle (I did live there for a short time to live with my aunt for a while): homeless, hipsters, modern-day hippies, cyclists everywhere, but just not as big of a tech industry as Seattle. I actually do want to move BACK to Eau Claire in the future to work for Jamf, the one major IT company here. I just need to take some online IT courses first. I tried CVTC but didn't pass the first 8-week courses, so that's one reason I can't stay here.

Those of you local to Eau Claire: would you say that Eau Claire is, or will become, the "Seattle of Wisconsin/the Midwest"? If you ask me, I never would've thought that a Wisconsin town would be SO liberal, almost by Seattle standards! What makes Eau Claire so liberal and the rest of WI more conservative?

But yeah, all in all, I really like it here in Eau Claire! No more lifted pickup trucks with "TRUMP 2024" banners like in Iowa! Actually, Wisconsinites in general (except maybe in more rural/backwoods areas) don't feel the need to drive large, loud, lifted, obnoxious pickup trucks to show their status or "compensate" for something (whereas in IA, half (by exaggeration) of the vehicles are lifted pickup trucks). That's one thing I like about WI and Wisconsinites.

As mentioned, I really hope to move back to Eau Claire in x number of years (hopefully 2? Maybe less if I can get an internship?) to work for Jamf, so it's "just goodbye for a little while." Also, I know I can always visit Eau Claire 2-3 times a year (while living in Platteville), just to make sure it's where I want to live. Bye now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 12:25 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlaresWasser4189 View Post
Hi CityData,

OP here. So, I did make the move to Eau Claire this past summer, but unfortunately, I have to move back to the tri-state area (but Platteville this time....no way am I moving back to IA....I switched my car to WI plates and mailed back my IA plates for a refund as a passive-aggressive you-know-what). I've decided that living alone is a priority for me and Eau Claire is so expensive that even adults have to get roommates. Is Eau Claire turning into Denver and Seattle in that regard? I hope not.

Actually, Eau Claire does have some things in common with Seattle (I did live there for a short time to live with my aunt for a while): homeless, hipsters, modern-day hippies, cyclists everywhere, but just not as big of a tech industry as Seattle. I actually do want to move BACK to Eau Claire in the future to work for Jamf, the one major IT company here. I just need to take some online IT courses first. I tried CVTC but didn't pass the first 8-week courses, so that's one reason I can't stay here.

Those of you local to Eau Claire: would you say that Eau Claire is, or will become, the "Seattle of Wisconsin/the Midwest"? If you ask me, I never would've thought that a Wisconsin town would be SO liberal, almost by Seattle standards! What makes Eau Claire so liberal and the rest of WI more conservative?

But yeah, all in all, I really like it here in Eau Claire! No more lifted pickup trucks with "TRUMP 2024" banners like in Iowa! Actually, Wisconsinites in general (except maybe in more rural/backwoods areas) don't feel the need to drive large, loud, lifted, obnoxious pickup trucks to show their status or "compensate" for something (whereas in IA, half (by exaggeration) of the vehicles are lifted pickup trucks). That's one thing I like about WI and Wisconsinites.

As mentioned, I really hope to move back to Eau Claire in x number of years (hopefully 2? Maybe less if I can get an internship?) to work for Jamf, so it's "just goodbye for a little while." Also, I know I can always visit Eau Claire 2-3 times a year (while living in Platteville), just to make sure it's where I want to live. Bye now!
I've been in Eau Claire for 13 years and it's a great town, definitely changing. I think the overall tone of Eau Claire is liberal, driven by both the people and but moreso by being a university town. There is also a conservative element to Eau Claire. My guess would be that Madison is much more liberal than Eau Claire, but that's just a guess. I don't see Eau Claire changing anytime soon.

Housing in Eau Claire is super expensive, I own but if I rented I would pay more in rent and get less space than what I get for owning. The city (apparently) has a major housing shortage which is why they are constantly building apartment buildings and housing. Unfortunately builders use this as an opportunity to jack up the rent, but that's just the way it goes. My best advice is to keep your options open. Chippewa Falls, Menomonie and some areas that are away from Eau Claire are good options and the rent is cheaper. Good luck with your program and I hope you make it back to Eau Claire soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin