Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM

101 posts, read 219,423 times

Advertisements

Everybody always wants to put down Duluth/Superior aka the Twin Ports. I'm wondering what people find good about the Twin Ports. It's easy to criticize anything about any city. The trick is to find why you live where you live.

I recently moved to Superior because I couldn't find a job in Appleton after being laid off and my brother was kind enough to let me stay with him. I found a job up here (granted it is in the low-paying service industry) within a couple of days. 3 days to be exact. I love it here. Yes, even the winter. We just got a spring blizzard and they closed everything and we even lost power for a day. But I still love it. I just finally got to see a huge ship under the Aerial Lift Bridge. It was amazing. The people here are so friendly compared to Fox Cities people its astonishing that I'm still in the same state.

Sure, I'll be the first to admit that Superior looks ugly. It really does. Like someone took a chunk of southwest Philly and put it on Lake Superior. But this city has a good vibe and, of course, THE LAKE!!

Let me know what you all think about the Twin Ports please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 PM

14,330 posts, read 14,633,800 times
One of these days I will have to visit the Duluth/Superior area. I'm writing to say good for you for having a great attitude, your post was very upbeat!

I come from the make lemonade out of lemons and that we are all in control of how we feel and our own situations. Good for you for finding something right away and you sound like you'll keep looking, too.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,682 times
When I went back to school as an adult I started at UW-Superior. I only had to go to campus twice but I really enjoyed the area. When my kids were little we camped up at Amnicon and we loved it. Lots of waterfalls in the area.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM

101 posts, read 219,423 times
Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them and hope more people can discover how great it really is up here!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
Everybody always wants to put down Duluth/Superior aka the Twin Ports. I'm wondering what people find good about the Twin Ports. It's easy to criticize anything about any city. The trick is to find why you live where you live.

I recently moved to Superior because I couldn't find a job in Appleton after being laid off and my brother was kind enough to let me stay with him. I found a job up here (granted it is in the low-paying service industry) within a couple of days. 3 days to be exact. I love it here. Yes, even the winter. We just got a spring blizzard and they closed everything and we even lost power for a day. But I still love it. I just finally got to see a huge ship under the Aerial Lift Bridge. It was amazing. The people here are so friendly compared to Fox Cities people its astonishing that I'm still in the same state.

Sure, I'll be the first to admit that Superior looks ugly. It really does. Like someone took a chunk of southwest Philly and put it on Lake Superior. But this city has a good vibe and, of course, THE LAKE!!

Let me know what you all think about the Twin Ports please.
I've lived here most of my life (spent about 5 years in central wisconsin where the communities were very "cliquish") - came back and have lived in Superior, Brule and Poplar areas.

What I love about living here:

Lakes, Summers, Community (everyone is friendly - we are a hodge-podge of all mixed ethnic backgrounds and racial backgrounds and always welcome a newcommer), The school system (I have 2 in middle school and 1 in highschool), High School football games, Fall - The colors are sooooooo vivid and beautiful!! Low crime rate compared to some of the cities I've looked at (because yeah it gets to thinking about moving some winters! lol) The ratio of people to sex offenders is 467 to 1, in some places like one I looked at in Nevada it was 222 to 1! - Health care is good - we have 2 great hospitals just across the bridge (wont mention the one here in Superior...lol) We have fishing, hunting, camping, SPACE to move around, beautiful parks and things for kids to do (although there could always be more) We have a great shopping area/mall/district just a few minutes away with everything from Walmart to Abercrombie, entertainment (the DECC just received funds to upgrade/improve/re-do the whole DECC - Duluth Entertainment Convention Center) so on top of all the wonderful concerts, hockey games, symphonies, car shows, etc that already happen there they will be expanding and making it even bigger and better for more venues to come in. Superior is improving it's "looks" each and every day - They have been working on downtown renovation for a few years now - a chunk at a time - and giving these older businesses "face lifts" - it's a work in progress but it's gonna look beautiful when it's all done. The mall in superior was a "bust" but the business / shopping district which should have been on Tower Avenue and is now is expanding niceley and is adequate for shopping and can only get better. We dont have huge issues with gangs (although Duluth needs some work in that area...) and drugs are not "non-existant" but are not a huge problem either. Superior has a good police department and fire department.

So yes - I do like Superior - It's a good community to live in if you'd like to raise a family or come here solo it's up to you and we're more then happy to welcome you.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 AM

29 posts, read 83,833 times
Love the Duluth/Superior area!! We have begun the process of relocating (returning) to the area...so excited!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM

437 posts, read 816,711 times
Duluth is fine, Superior is the armpit of WI.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 AM

63 posts, read 205,176 times
Yeah, I have a hard time associating Duluth and Superior together, even taking geography into account. Superior is an okay (albeit somewhat boring) little town. Duluth is the fourth largest city in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin