Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

though we currently live in Madison area; i'd agree that the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area is nice. Beautiful drives in fall, and 2 +/- hours to either Madison or the twin cities ( nothing wrong with a day at the mall of America ), not to mention the Dells if a weekend in winter with indoor water parks is desired. I'd look into property taxes in any area you are considering, WI is by no means low in that aspect, especially in markets where the homes were inflated to begin with. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 17,032 times
Some of the smaller towns around Eau Claire that are nice and would fit your needs,,, Fall Creek (8 miles), Augusta (18 miles)
Elk Mound (8 miles), Bloomer (20miles), Osseo (18 miles). Cadot
(15 miles). If your looking at Boyceville, there really is'nt alot in this town. My picks would be Osseo or Augusta. Augusta is a neet little town, right in the middle of Amish country. Osseo is nice to,
alittle more going on there. their all nice small towns, with great schools.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 58,835 times
Default near Madison (south west area)

I lived near Mineral Point, WI (SW of Madison) and it is out what I compare all of my searches too. (we are moving again as well) Antiques, art, crafts, and ice cream shops in a gorgeous historic down town. It is an old mining town with alot of historic homes and sites to visit. Still safe enough to walk your dog at night and your kids to play. Has a trail that comes into town for 4 wheeling, walking or biking. Schools are good too. Yellowstone and Governor Dodge Parks are beautiful with fishing, hiking, horse back riding, etc...and 20 minutes away. I moved farther north and the towns nearby are not near as picture perfect and I think of the town often. I worked downtown Madison and it was 50 minutes drive though pretty much all 4 lane. I normally shopped in Madison before heading home.
Another town closer to Madison, but quaint as well is New Glarus. You will have to do some searching to find something that cheap in either area, but can be found out that direction. The market is in your favor. The taxes in WI are something to be aware of though. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM

22 posts, read 77,288 times
Ft Atkinson is a great place to live. Very family friendly and would meet all of your criteria. Another city about 30 minutes south of Madison that I would highly recommend is New Glarus. It would also meet all your criteria and has one of the cutest downtown areas you will ever see. It is the hidden gem of the area.

Oregon, WI is also very nice. A mix of the old with the new and only 15 minutes from central Madison. Great schools, and very quaint and cozy downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin