Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,318,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
LOL, This might be the most un-informed/over reaction opinion on the issue. I'll get into this later, but they are not stripping a single power of Evers RE-LAX!

To strip the governor of any powers you have to change the state constitution which requires two consecutive elected sessions which will never happen. IE it's very hard to amend the states constitution. I assure all you Evers lovers there is nothing to fear hear and in the words of Walter Sobchak...

...."relax dude, nothing is F'd here man"

Some of you need to go back and do some reading and studying on the process and procedures of government instead of just reading partisan new pieces(both sides). I don't want to be overly preachy but you need to understand the 3 different spectrums of politics. Process, Politics and Policy which are 3 very different things.
The legislation signed by Walker does transfer specific executive duties from Evers to the legislature. It also weakens the role of Attorney General. And it does a few other things besides.

How could this not be obvious? Or is this fake news?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...or/2238900002/

From the article itself:

Limits early voting to two weeks.
Gives Republicans more say over the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp.
Puts lawmakers in charge of litigation, allowing them to keep alive a lawsuit to overturn the Affordable Care Act.
Gives lawmakers — instead of the attorney general — control over how court settlements are spent.
Makes it easier for lawmakers to hire private attorneys at taxpayer expense when they are sued.
Eliminates the solicitor general's office, which oversees high-profile litigation.
Modestly lowers the state’s income tax rates next year to offset about $60 million in online sales taxes from out-of-state retailers that Wisconsin recently began collecting.
Requires Evers to get permission from lawmakers to ban guns in the state Capitol.
Bars judges from giving deference to state agencies’ interpretations of laws when they are challenged in court. That could make it easier to win lawsuits challenging how environmental regulations and other laws are being enforced.
Broadens lawmakers' powers to block rules written by the Evers administration.
Requires the Evers administration to report if the governor pardons anyone or his aides release anyone from prison early.
Forces Evers to get permission from the Legislature before asking the federal government to make any changes to programs that are run jointly by the state and federal governments.
Requires Evers to go along with a plan aimed at reducing premiums for insurance plans offered through the Affordable Care Act’s marketplaces for individuals.
Channels federal money into a smaller number of state road projects, so that other projects could avoid having to comply with federal environmental and wage laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:42 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,830 times
Scott Walker signs legislation because he doesn't think Wisconsin governors should be able to do certain things ... like the sort of thing he did a mere 24 hours before he signed the bill in question.

Quote:
The move came a day after Walker announced a $28 million incentive package for Kimberly-Clark Corp. using powers the legislation strips from incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers. If Walker had signed the legislation earlier, he wouldn't have been able to cut the deal with Kimberly-Clark without permission from lawmakers.

Proving once again that today's GOP is increasing a party that cares nothing about democratic norms and solely about wielding naked power at all costs.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:07 PM

512 posts, read 475,160 times
I've said it all along that Walker would most likely get appointed to a position in Trump's cabinet. It's looking like a possibility according to this article: https://wkow.com/news/political/2018...ior-secretary/

About the only place a Walker can still get a job in politics is the corrupt Trump Administration. Surprise, surprise. Does this mean he'll leave Wisconsin for good? I hope so!

Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,125,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I've said it all along that Walker would most likely get appointed to a position in Trump's cabinet. It's looking like a possibility according to this article: https://wkow.com/news/political/2018...ior-secretary/

About the only place a Walker can still get a job in politics is the corrupt Trump Administration. Surprise, surprise. Does this mean he'll leave Wisconsin for good? I hope so!
If you click on the wkow link, then click on the Bloomberg link that reports it, you'll see this is just the reporter suggesting who he thinks might be contenders, there is no source or actual report from the Trump Admin saying such things. It's not fake news completely, as Scott Walker is unemployed soon to be, but there is no actual evidence or facts linking him to the job. You have to be careful how you read things, sometimes it sounds like one thing but if you re-read it slowly it says another thing.

So wkow reports it..."according to Bloomberg", but Bloomberg just throws it out there with no accredited source. The correct headline should read Scott Walker could be a possible replacement for IS. You could also say "Scott Walker could possibly be the new Packers new coach" since the packers have a vacancy and Scott Walker will soon be vacated. It's just speculation, and lousy reporting in my opinion. Bloomberg doesn't say "this is what I am thinking" or speculating, they just put it in there all by itself. As Politifact would say...FALSE!

What's more dangerous is that every newspaper in America could do the same thing as WKOW and say according to Bloomberg...therefore making it sound credible.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
If you click on the wkow link, then click on the Bloomberg link that reports it, you'll see this is just the reporter suggesting who he thinks might be contenders, there is no source or actual report from the Trump Admin saying such things. It's not fake news completely, as Scott Walker is unemployed soon to be, but there is no actual evidence or facts linking him to the job. You have to be careful how you read things, sometimes it sounds like one thing but if you re-read it slowly it says another thing.

So wkow reports it..."according to Bloomberg", but Bloomberg just throws it out there with no accredited source. The correct headline should read Scott Walker could be a possible replacement for IS. You could also say "Scott Walker could possibly be the new Packers new coach" since the packers have a vacancy and Scott Walker will soon be vacated. It's just speculation, and lousy reporting in my opinion. Bloomberg doesn't say "this is what I am thinking" or speculating, they just put it in there all by itself. As Politifact would say...FALSE!

What's more dangerous is that every newspaper in America could do the same thing as WKOW and say according to Bloomberg...therefore making it sound credible.
Note that I used the word "possibility" in my post. You didn't have to give me a three-paragraph lecture about why the source isn't credible. I just thought it was an interesting article to share.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Note that I used the word "possibility" in my post. You didn't have to give me a three-paragraph lecture about why the source isn't credible. I just thought it was an interesting article to share.

LOL, hang on. I wasn't attacking you at all, you can't tell tone in these post which is why it sometimes turns into a spat battle. Here, when you read my post read it with a John Stossel aka The Stash tone of voice. I was just pointing out how articles and "reports" sometimes are just thrown in an article to make it look like an official report. BTW Sports reporting is the worst when it comes to half truths and fake news, with it's "sources close to Lebron" line of crapola. It's a way of getting it out there.

Anyways post away I always enjoy reading most posters on here even if I disagree with them.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 PM

LOL, see what I was saying...a few hours later the journal now reports what a reporter just put in there and people nowadays just seem too read the headline instead of the last 2 paragraphs which is where the meat of most articles is put. Now some reporter will ask Scott Walker about this and Scott Walker will say,"Well, this is the first time I am hearing it, from you guys" Which is probably not true but people will think he is a liar because of some "many" newspapers reporting what the Bloomberg news report just fit into an article. These things take on a life of their own and the reporter just sits back and smiles because his report is getting re-reported all over the country. It's kinda like click-bait and all they want is more "shares" of their reporting. The more newspapers that say Bloomberg news is reporting gets Bloomberg hopped up in a tizzy.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ob/2323273002/

Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
LOL, hang on. I wasn't attacking you at all, you can't tell tone in these post which is why it sometimes turns into a spat battle. Here, when you read my post read it with a John Stossel aka The Stash tone of voice. I was just pointing out how articles and "reports" sometimes are just thrown in an article to make it look like an official report. BTW Sports reporting is the worst when it comes to half truths and fake news, with it's "sources close to Lebron" line of crapola. It's a way of getting it out there.

Anyways post away I always enjoy reading most posters on here even if I disagree with them.
I wasn't trying to make it seem like you were attacking; however, I apologize if I misconstrued your response. You tend to be more reasonable than other right-wingers on C-D, I'll give you that.

Yeah, journalism pretty much sucks these days. Thanks for specifying the major flaw in that MJS article!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:30 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,571,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
The legislation signed by Walker does transfer specific executive duties from Evers to the legislature. It also weakens the role of Attorney General. And it does a few other things besides.

How could this not be obvious? Or is this fake news?

From the article itself:

Limits early voting to two weeks.
Gives Republicans more say over the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp.
Puts lawmakers in charge of litigation, allowing them to keep alive a lawsuit to overturn the Affordable Care Act.
Gives lawmakers — instead of the attorney general — control over how court settlements are spent.
Makes it easier for lawmakers to hire private attorneys at taxpayer expense when they are sued.
Eliminates the solicitor general's office, which oversees high-profile litigation.
Modestly lowers the state’s income tax rates next year to offset about $60 million in online sales taxes from out-of-state retailers that Wisconsin recently began collecting.
Requires Evers to get permission from lawmakers to ban guns in the state Capitol.
Bars judges from giving deference to state agencies’ interpretations of laws when they are challenged in court. That could make it easier to win lawsuits challenging how environmental regulations and other laws are being enforced.
Broadens lawmakers' powers to block rules written by the Evers administration.
Requires the Evers administration to report if the governor pardons anyone or his aides release anyone from prison early.
Forces Evers to get permission from the Legislature before asking the federal government to make any changes to programs that are run jointly by the state and federal governments.
Requires Evers to go along with a plan aimed at reducing premiums for insurance plans offered through the Affordable Care Act’s marketplaces for individuals.
Channels federal money into a smaller number of state road projects, so that other projects could avoid having to comply with federal environmental and wage laws.

Notice that Milwaukee City has completely ignored this post.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,865,788 times
Bloomberg is just as partisan as Breitbart, consider the sources. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin