Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM

23 posts, read 66,988 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Lately I have been looking for land and have been focusing on western Wisconsin. I really like the look and feel of the area. I am looking for seclusion, however I am only 24 so I will need to find work. So my first question is what counties in Western Wisconsin have the best economies and strong work force? I have looked at land from Bloomer to Sparta. I'd assume since Eau Claire is a fairly large town there are a lot of jobs there. I don't mind a 50 mile commute one way as long as where I live is nice and secluded in the woods. I have noticed many lakes in Chippewa County. I am a avid Crappie fisherman so that is a plus. However, are these lakes still secluded? Or have they been urbanized by high end resorts? I love a nice quite lake. Lastly, what area of western Wisconsin would you say is the best from Lake Superior to Illinois? I am not set on one spot yet so some feedback from locals would be great. Thanks.

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Brandon, I've lived in the Portage/Pacific area my whole life but have been to La Crosse a few times and must say the scenery and qaulity of life seem pretty good there. I'd check it out.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 24,336 times
Talking Yea -

I agree with Brandon - I've been to La Crosse many times because it's beautiful - one of my favorite places in WI. There's a lookout point that you can see three states at once.. pretty cool. Lots of hills and valleys, laid back people and decent cost of living. The population isn't all that big, and there's some nice places outside the 'city' part that has a secluded feel to it.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by christina0001; 02-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: spamming - third time

Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Eau Claire,Chippewa,Rusk,Dunn county areas be good. Lakes have some resorts and alot of nice ones that are pretty nice fishing. Crappies good at Fireside in spring Rusk County,Otter Lake Chippewa County and alot of other small lakes around.Bass fishing fun also and lakes and rivers to have fun with smallies.
Try WDNR web sitelook at fishing lakes for crappie and such and maybe go from there.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 32,582 times
lived in Eau Claire at one time. OK people,good place to buy a car,party town(UW school) bad drivers, blue collar jobs low pay. clean, high wisconsin TAXES, low crime, lots of fishing. Had fun there I guess but low pay job I think you need to be a professional.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymanl67 View Post
Hello,

Lately I have been looking for land and have been focusing on western Wisconsin. I really like the look and feel of the area. I am looking for seclusion, however I am only 24 so I will need to find work. So my first question is what counties in Western Wisconsin have the best economies and strong work force? I have looked at land from Bloomer to Sparta. I'd assume since Eau Claire is a fairly large town there are a lot of jobs there. I don't mind a 50 mile commute one way as long as where I live is nice and secluded in the woods. I have noticed many lakes in Chippewa County. I am a avid Crappie fisherman so that is a plus. However, are these lakes still secluded? Or have they been urbanized by high end resorts? I love a nice quite lake. Lastly, what area of western Wisconsin would you say is the best from Lake Superior to Illinois? I am not set on one spot yet so some feedback from locals would be great. Thanks.

Brandon
In a previous life, I used to be responsible for equipment at hospitals and doctors offices at a number of locations throughout Wisconsin. One of the areas that struck me with natural beauty, was from Spring Green north through Richland Center, north through the Sparta area, and over to La Crosse via Bohemian Valley. The area is very peaceful.

It took me a few months to catch on, but I finally figured out that people were waving at me when I'd drive on the smaller highways in western Wisconsin. And I sincerely doubt it was me they were waving at... I think it was everyone. There's something about Western WI that is very endearing. It is inexpensive, and the rolling terrain is much more interesting than other areas of the state. I used to call it "Horse Country" because a lot of the docs who I did business with, had horses on their property. And there were some Amish people too, but that's worth another thread.

I'm not sure what you do for work, but with a 50-mile commute, you could live in these areas and find something.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM

26,409 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
In a previous life, I used to be responsible for equipment at hospitals and doctors offices at a number of locations throughout Wisconsin. One of the areas that struck me with natural beauty, was from Spring Green north through Richland Center, north through the Sparta area, and over to La Crosse via Bohemian Valley. The area is very peaceful.

It took me a few months to catch on, but I finally figured out that people were waving at me when I'd drive on the smaller highways in western Wisconsin. And I sincerely doubt it was me they were waving at... I think it was everyone. There's something about Western WI that is very endearing. It is inexpensive, and the rolling terrain is much more interesting than other areas of the state. I used to call it "Horse Country" because a lot of the docs who I did business with, had horses on their property. And there were some Amish people too, but that's worth another thread.

I'm not sure what you do for work, but with a 50-mile commute, you could live in these areas and find something.
Sparta is one of the colder locations in Wisconsin because it sits in a valley surrounded by bluffs. They had a low temperature of colder than -30F so far this winter. I like the scenery in that area of the state as well

Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You might also consider the Sauk Prairie area of Wisconsin. It's not really in the "western" part, but that particular patch of Wisconsin was not glaciated, so it has the same hilly terrain as much of western Wisconsin; plus you have access to the Madison market, which is one of (if not the) most vital job market in the state.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 AM

26,409 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Sauk County is growing in both jobs and population, and is not too far from Madison obviously.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Sauk City is beautiful and even allows for Eagle Watching. I love western Wisconsin kind of reminds me of Kentucky and Tennessee. I can't believe how beautiful of a state we have.

Brandon, I'm sure whatever you choose you will be happy with. La Crosse has always been a beautiful area to me. Good Luck and go with whatever your gut and the folks here at city-data rate positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin