Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,011 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Appleton and we're trying to make the decision if we should relocate from the UK. We have 2 kids: 7 & 14 so it's going to be a tough one. We're looking for an attractive neighbourhood which is safe and friendly with good schools (elementary, middle & high school). If anyone has any advice or information for us, it would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM

738 posts, read 1,000,345 times
As a whole, I would highly recommend the Appleton area. Most neighborhoods are very safe and friendly and Appleton has very good schools. It has a big small-town feeling without being overwhelming.

Since you are coming from the UK, it may behoove you to find a buyers broker through any one of the major real estate companies there, like Century21, ReMax or Coldwell Banker. You can work directly with them, giving them a list of your priorities so they can help you narrow down your choices. Additionally, using a search engine like Zillow or Trulia may assist you in evaluating schools and home values in particular neighborhoods.

Good luck in your search.

RVcook

Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,623,659 times
There have been quite a few other Appleton threads if you're looking for general info. For example https://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...os-cons-2.html

I'd add that there is some 'culture' there (Lawrence U. helps, though it's a SLAC, not a major university) and there are shopping and hospitals, but Appleton is not a city of the world - it's a medium sized town in central WI. That part of Wisconsin (particularly the nearby Waupaca chain of lakes) is wonderful in the summertime, but it's going to be much colder than the UK.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,791,139 times
I personally really like Appleton very much. Of course, it's going to be a bit of a culture shock for you if you're coming from the UK. But overall, Appleton is quite a nice place, in my opinion. You'll find it relatively safe, there's a good variety of restaurants (such as Sai Ram Indian Cuisine, Taste of Thai, Koreana, etc.) and shopping (TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Hobby Lobby, a fairly large shopping mall, and many clothing stores.) The Trout Museum has wonderful art exhibits as does Richeson's in nearby Kimberly. There are book stores (such as Half Price Books and Barnes and Noble,) College Avenue has a number of taverns, pubs, and clubs. (Some might say a few too many.) Spring, summer, and fall are lovely in the area. Winter can be rather long and cold, to say the least. But it's still got beauty. You might just have trouble finding it a few months in!

You're close to both Green Bay and Oshkosh, which are also nice places.
The state is very "pro-Green Bay Packers" and you might find the constant barrage of football related "news" to be a bit much. (I know I do.) But people are friendly and kind, for the most part. I hope things go well for you, if you decide to come on over!

(I'm heading to Appleton right this very minute, as a matter of fact. And I was just there yesterday.)

Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,603 times
A lot of thought must be put into emigrating to a new country:
Are you originally from the US?
If not, what are your pre-conceived notions or the US and/or Wisconsin?
Will your appliances, televisions, and computers work with the voltage here? If not, what will be the cost to replace those?

As for me, I had the entire USA to choose from and I ended up here in the Fox Valley area (Oshkosh, Appleton, Neenah, Grand Chute, Menasha, Little Chute, Darboy, Kimberly, Kaukauna...)

People are friendly. I moved from Northern Illinois and I noticed on my first visit how much nicer everyone was here. Generally, people are happier here with their jobs and lives. It makes a difference in the mood of a city.
If you ask a cashier how they are doing, they will tell you. You will probably get to know your cashiers very well if you are willing to listen. If you tell them your story or troubles, they will usually go out of their way to remember you or ease your troubles. If they have an issue with you or an opinion, they will let you know politely. People are honest and extroverted here, which I love. You know who you are dealing with.

Hunting is big here. The hunter culture breeds a responsible and independent personality that is society conscious. This area has a can-do attitude. They can do for themselves but are willing to pitch in to help their neighbors. The hunter culture was the hardest for my step-daughters to get used to. You will see kids posing for pictures with a bloodied deer they shot or monstrous fish they speared. You go into some stores and pubs, there are dead animals decorating the walls. The Fleet Farm store here absolutely horrified my youngest step-daughter. I grew up in a hunter culture, so I thought it was fascinating.
That brings up the other difference from the UK: People have guns here. Usually many in cabinets in their homes. When touring houses to buy, I saw them in display cases, in corners, behind couches... It is also an open carry state. You are allowed to wander about with a handgun on your hip if you choose. Most people around here don't. Most understand the fear it installs in some. If they wish to carry, they get a concealed carry permit and carry it out of sight. The hunter culture applies here; sensible, polite, and responsible.

I never lack for shopping. There a lot of big chain stores but there are also a lot of niche places spread amongst the cities. It's fun to explore all the little shops (i.e. in Neenah there is one that sells life jackets for dogs.)

I chose Neenah:
The high school has almost 200 clubs or sports to join. It may rank lower academically than some other schools, but the kids seem happier here.
You are 20 minutes from Oshkosh or Appleton shopping but you have some big box stores and some smaller stores right in town.
The public pool is awesome.
There are bike lanes and paths.
Multiple places to access the lake.
Affordable housing (comparative to other cities in the Fox Valley.)
Beautiful parks (including a free archery range.)
I haven't seen or heard the racism that is prevalent in some other areas of the country that I have lived.
I can walk around from 11PM - 4AM and not fear a drive-by, knock-out attempt, or mugging.
People are active here and in good shape. From 4AM - 10PM, I see people out running, biking, jogging, walking, skateboarding, etc...
People are frugal here and signs of material wealth isn't a primary concern. I see a lot of well-maintained older vehicles on the road. That attitude allows for cabins "Up North" and motorized toys (snowmobiles, jet skis, boats, and motorcycles.)
They didn't cut down all the trees to make way for houses. You can still get a yard with mature trees. People here use hedges as a polite way to fence their yard for privacy.
It's dog friendly.
Wild Animals; I haven't seen this much nature in a city this size ever. I have minks, deer, foxes, raccoons, several varieties of squirrels, rabbits, bats, birds, etc... in my yard on a weekly basis.

The downsides:
Nature does not always stay outside...
Weekends in the summer, the town seems deserted as people go "North" to their cabins. (If you are an introvert, that may be a pro rather than a con.)
Being a little over-weight, I feel a bit out of place and am amazed that a place known for beer, brats, and cheese that they stay so thin. Although I never feel judged for my weight.
If you are worried about blending in, you may have to purchase Green Bay Packers or Milwaukee Brewers shirts and hats. (It's fun, just go with it.)

Electricity is more expensive in this area (4x as much) as the area I moved from.
Taxes are high for the US but lower than some other areas. Also, the taxes seem to be put to better use here.
My average utility bill for a 2300 sq ft home is $195/month, the tax is $3600/year, Cable Internet is $68/month, water and sewer is $100/month. A food bill for a family of 4 that cooks in but still buys some prepackaged freezer meals is around $180/week.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 22,976 times
Hi Maggie Dear
I sell real estate here in Appleton. You might already be here. If not, let me know. I will tell you that Zillow and Trulia have outdated date on if the homes are available or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin