Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How do you figure that? I work with people in Detroit who commute to their cottages in the U.P. every weekend in summer.

Those people drive 5 hours minimum to reach upper Michigan from Detroit. I lived in upper mi at one time and it is definitely one of the most remote areas of the lower 48. In the eastern 2/3rds of the country it is the most remote. Parts of Wisconsin that border the UP are almost as remote. Northern Wisconsin however is very comparable to much of northern lower Michigan. Mi and Wi really are similar states in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
What does anyone know about Park Falls, WI?

I get the remoteness. I've been to the UP. I live in Montana. It's not the Alaskan Tundra or even the Bob Marshall Wilderness here in Montana. As long as there is a town nearby where my kids can meet and play with other kids and we can get some groceries and play in a park, I'll be happy.

From my research, the Glidden area seems more remote than the Rapid River area so I don't really care how remote the rest of the UP is considering I'm not looking into Western UP. The weather seems comparable and not all that different than I know now just with more snow. Cost of living seems to be comparable and way lower than here in Montana.

I think I'm game for either.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Those people drive 5 hours minimum to reach upper Michigan from Detroit. I lived in upper mi at one time and it is definitely one of the most remote areas of the lower 48. In the eastern 2/3rds of the country it is the most remote. Parts of Wisconsin that border the UP are almost as remote. Northern Wisconsin however is very comparable to much of northern lower Michigan. Mi and Wi really are similar states in general.

Thank you for not making me type it out.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
The UP of Michigan might be remote but Rapid River, MI is far less remote than Glidden, WI. There is no denying that in any way.

For me all the amenities I need are right there in those 3 towns. Glidden would not have what I needed and I'd not be very pleased to be there. That's just me though. From a topographic standpoint both areas look quite similar once you get away from the lakeshore and drive inland 10 miles I would think the swampiness would go away since the elevation rises in all directions except east, but there's nothing to the east anyways. There are more small lakes near Glidden, about 15-40 miles east of the town, suggesting a more hilly topography. Me personally I'd rather have the great lake at my doorstep.

However it's not all flat by Rapid River by any means.
The drive From Rapid River to Marquette starts at 600 feet above sea level, briefly hits 1100 feet above sea level, before going back down to 650 feet when you hit Marquette. The drive to Green bay would be fairly flat, as you are driving along the Lakeshore. The drive from Park Falls to Glidden never varies by more than 75 feet on elevation the whole way.

The closeness to civilization is what allures me. I'd rather save my long commutes for weekend trips.. plus you get the best of worth worlds, living right next to the great lakes yet you only have to drive inland 10 miles (to the west or north) to get the elevation rise and the less swampy area you are looking for, without having to drive 100 miles to hit the great lakes, or 75-100 miles to hit a decent sized town. To me Rapid River is by far the more 'family friendly' option.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-12-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

If you want to see remote, move to the middle of Nevada.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If you want to see remote, move to the middle of Nevada.

west central south dakota, nebraska, kansas, oklahoma.... the 'western great plains' also. Heck even the eastern half of these states is more desolate than most people have come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin