Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 116,244 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know anything about Rhinelander, WI? What do you think is good, bad or interesting about the town? I'm just trying to get general info. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,181,411 times
My father & grandparents are from there so I've been going up since birth. I consider it my second home & would love to eventually move up there. If you want to know about schools or employment opportunities, I can't help you because I don't know. It's the north woods though, it's beautiful, peaceful, plenty of fishing, boating, outdoor activities. The downtown area is small, seems like there are too many empty storefronts but if you need major shopping you could just go to Wausau I guess. I don't know, what do you want to know exactly?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
My father & grandparents are from there so I've been going up since birth. I consider it my second home & would love to eventually move up there. If you want to know about schools or employment opportunities, I can't help you because I don't know. It's the north woods though, it's beautiful, peaceful, plenty of fishing, boating, outdoor activities. The downtown area is small, seems like there are too many empty storefronts but if you need major shopping you could just go to Wausau I guess. I don't know, what do you want to know exactly?
You gave some great info. Thanks! You say there are a lot of outdoor activities so I assume you mean in the summer when it's warm. Is there anything to do in the winter (not neccessarily outdoors, of course) and how is the weather in the winter? Is it extremely cold up there and is there a lot of snow? I'm from Milwaukee so I'm wondering if there is a huge difference in climate.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

I live in Milwaukee as well. They got a ton more snow this year than we did. It doesn't get warmer until a little later in the spring than we do. And yes, it can be colder as well. In fact, the coldest I've ever felt was up there a few years ago. I go up in the winter, actually I go up every season. You can snowmobile, that's a major activity in the winter, icefish, ice skating, there's probably some winter festivals going on that I haven't gone to yet. You can travel to the other towns up there as well. Lots of drinking going on up there, lots of bars. I don't really DO much when I'm up there in the winter, I just like being up there regardless if I do anything or not. Summer I'm usually in the kayaks or on the pontoon boat.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,179,866 times
It's a bit colder, as it's north (obviously) and the Northern Uplands are a large plateau, which affects the weather a bit as well. Tons of winter (outdoor) activities, but if you aren't into those, you may want to get a stack of books/movies and go nuts with that for a few months. It's a charming little town, I think, and there's quite a history there (beyond the hodag and whatever, Rhinelander was the unofficial capital of the northwoods for many decades). I love it, but I think a whole winter there would be a bit rough on me.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Lots of drinking going on up there, lots of bars.
So, is it a "party town"? Based on the comments it seems to be a nice place, overall...but not if everyone is drunk! LOL

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHomemaker View Post
So, is it a "party town"? Based on the comments it seems to be a nice place, overall...but not if everyone is drunk! LOL
No no, it's not a "party town". It's just, people drink up there. Well, all of Wisconsin does, doesn't it? It's not like you're going to only come across drunk people everywhere you turn, lol. Just take a visit up there some weekend, it's only about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive, get a feel for the place. I don't seem to be describing it very well.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
No no, it's not a "party town". It's just, people drink up there. Well, all of Wisconsin does, doesn't it? It's not like you're going to only come across drunk people everywhere you turn, lol. Just take a visit up there some weekend, it's only about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive, get a feel for the place. I don't seem to be describing it very well.
No, you described it well. I probably just misinterpreted what you were saying. Yes, MOST people in WI drink LOL! It sounds like a really nice town. I'm definitely going to visit! It sounds like the type of town I'd love to relocate to.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM

I meant to ask... Is there any public transportation in Rhinelander? I have a car but who knows when/if it'll break down. Just thought I'd ask.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM

647 posts, read 1,669,836 times
If you move to Rhinelander be aware of the 2nd weekend of July. That is the Hodag country music fest. You can probably forget about going out to eat that weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin