Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,043 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

We're moving to Ashland next week from the west coast and I was wondering if anyone here knows which services are best out there for:

Cellular phones: I know Sprint and Alltel are out there, but I'm not sure how good the service is with either of these... or are there any others that are better?

TV: I was told cable isn't available on our street but it is on either side of us... which doesn't seem right and probably isn't. Either way, we're more interested in satellite anyway if it's not going to cost us an arm and a leg.

Internet: I'd like to get a landline and go with DSL if the speeds are decent.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 57,347 times
I don't have any answers for you, but why on earth would anyone from California willingly go to Ashland , WI? The first Alberta clipper will cause your hair to fall out, girl. It's Duluth, MN without the charm. Do you know the part in Dracula movies where the stagecoach driver tells his passengers he will go no further? He was nearing Ashland. Holy cats. Vaya con Dios. Hope you like snow. No offense, Ashland readers, but you know what I mean. She's from California, for heaven's sakes, talk her out of it.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM

86 posts, read 414,082 times
US Cellular is another Wisconsin provider. A leading Consumer Reports type magazine rated them high about a year ago. I haven't seen this year's ratings.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Dumbell View Post
I don't have any answers for you, but why on earth would anyone from California willingly go to Ashland , WI? The first Alberta clipper will cause your hair to fall out, girl. It's Duluth, MN without the charm. Do you know the part in Dracula movies where the stagecoach driver tells his passengers he will go no further? He was nearing Ashland. Holy cats. Vaya con Dios. Hope you like snow. No offense, Ashland readers, but you know what I mean. She's from California, for heaven's sakes, talk her out of it.
She didn't ask to be talked out of it. She didn't ask for opinion about Ashland. She asked about the availability of cable, internet and cell phone coverage. If you're not going to address her issues, stuff it.

DSL does not appear to be an option in Ashland. Charter (cable) operates high-speed internet in Ashland. I'd call Charter and find out if it's actually true that you can't get cable at your specific address. If it's true that you can't and people on either side of you can, something to consider is this: try to find out if one of your nearby neighbors has cable internet; and if you find one, see if you can cut a deal with you where they share their cable internet with you via wireless if you agree to help defray the cost and, if necessary, provide the hardware. I have my upstairs neighbor paying 1/3rd of my DSL bill, and one of the apartments in the building next door paying another third. My brother-in-law gets his internet free from a generous (and unwitting) neighbor.

Last edited by Drover; 09-30-2007 at 01:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 PM

255 posts, read 1,196,161 times
Hi there. I don't have any up-to-date answers to your questions but we did live about 60 miles south of Ashland and used to go there for Wal-Mart, Mary Kay events, Christian music festival at the bandstand and sometimes for picnics. In fact some friends live there. I was just excited to see someone moving somewhere I know. Have a great settling in time there and enjoy your new life.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times
I buried alot of Charter cable in Ashland and should be all over town. Just call Charter and ask. Alltel is pretty good cell company but unsure how well in Ashland area depends on towers in area and they keep adding more so great possibility.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 19,018 times
I have a question regarding Ashland- What is the general consensus regarding Blacks? I've heard people are.... not too friendly towards them. It's beautiful up there from what I understand and my girlfriend wants to go to college up there and we were thinking of moving up there.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Revenge View Post
I have a question regarding Ashland- What is the general consensus regarding Blacks? I've heard people are.... not too friendly towards them. It's beautiful up there from what I understand and my girlfriend wants to go to college up there and we were thinking of moving up there.

I lived in that area most of my life, and I don't think it's that people aren't friendly towards blacks, it's just that there aren't many people of different races there and people are a little sheltered.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 AM

14,332 posts, read 14,635,457 times
I'd definitely call Charter, too! They have great package pricing. When I came from Illinois to Wisconsin I got wireless internet all through the house, cable for 3 TVs for less than I was paying for Direct TV and Earthlink in Illinois.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM

74 posts, read 191,059 times
US Cellular is usuallly pretty good in WI for providers. Charter should have cable throughout the town, and if so, you can get both internet and tv pretty cheep, maybe 50-70 a month, depending on what options. If you want a sat. tv, I would go with Dish network, you can probably get a good deal with them, with something like a HD DVR, HD channels, and a nice package for maybe 50. Then it would be maybe 20-30 a month for internet through charter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin