Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 78,146 times

Advertisements

We are moving next summer. We'd orginally intended to move near Wausau (we already have some land there) and build. But lately I've been having second thoughts, we're coming from Southern CA and my husband is Mexican and my children are therefore half...I know it's a very white area which is fine, but I'm afraid my kids will miss out on the cultural diversity that they have here in CA, so maybe a bigger city would be better? What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 07:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,682 times
I would say if you want diversity then Madison is for you. We live outside of Wausau and it is starting to change culturally but it still has a long way to go.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,942 times
I would also give the nod to Madison. No doubt in my mind on that one. Second choice would be Wausau. Third, Appleton. Racial Diversity in Appleton and the Fox Cities is near non-exsistent, and is a very Insular community. Madison is a diverse, energetic, and progressive city.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I would also give the nod to Madison. No doubt in my mind on that one. Second choice would be Wausau. Third, Appleton. Racial Diversity in Appleton and the Fox Cities is near non-exsistent, and is a very Insular community. Madison is a diverse, energetic, and progressive city.
Go with Madison. Wausau's not bad (grew up not too far from there); Appleton / Fox Valley is turning into right-wing Bible Thumper Central.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Live in Madison, weekend in Wausau.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

15 posts, read 36,904 times
Default If you HAVE to live in the frozen tundra...Madison

I live in Wausau right now and am counting the years until I can leave (custody arrangement). I moved here from TX 8 years ago and have never fully adjusted. My first job interview I was told flat out that I would have a hard time getting a job because I wasn't from here (no, I didn't get the job). Boy was that an understatement! I recently completed my BS and saw a job posting for an HR assistant that required a BS and they paid $10/hr. Am I bitter? Yes. Am I sinking into a pit of despair knowing I have to suffer through 3 more years of 8-9mos of winter? Yes. As for bi-racial couples...tolerance is is building more but you still have a lot of backwoods, closed minded thinkers. People are uncomfortable outside their box and take a while to trust something new. (I don't mean to lump everyone into stereotypical boxes, this is my generalized overview.) Even those who try to be more open minded sometimes make ignorant remarks, not to be mean spirited...just not very cultured or pc minded. On the flip side, I've talked to a few people who have relocated from bigger cities and say this is a wonderful place to raise kids (it is if you don't have great hopes for their success in the future or a desire to ensure cultural enrichment), it's safe and the school systems are great. Also, being what I consider to be the "gateway to the northwoods", it's a beautiful area. Other than that, I would have left a long time ago were I able.

Last edited by thenikster; 08-28-2007 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 116,242 times
My education and career center around Latino culture, so I can tell you that Madison is your kid's only chance for diversity in schools. But it also varies within the city. I went to Memorial High School and there was one or two Latinos in the entire school. I transferred to West High and there were kids from all over the world and I frequently heard Spanish spoken in the halls.
But that was 15 years ago. The Latino population has grown exponentially since then, and is overtaking African Americans as the largest minority group here.
There is a large Latino community here, with an annual Fiesta Latina, and organizations such as Centro Hispano:
Centro Hispano of Dane County Programs
There are Latino families that have been in Madison for generations, and Madison also is a beacon for new immigrants because of its job opportunities and welcoming community.
I'm sorry to say this, but coming from Southern CA, if you were to move to any smaller town, your kids would have some serious culture shock as they are identified by others solely by their ethnicity.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,086 times
I lived in Wausau until I was 27 years old. I can tell you that Wausau is one of the most close-minded communities that I have ever been in. I now live in a small farming community in northeast Iowa and the people are more open to change and diversity here than Wausau will ever be.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM

175 posts, read 731,597 times
Stay away from small town Wisconsin such as Wausau. Lots of racist thinking going on in those areas.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 20,686 times
If you are looking for diversity, do not move to Wausau! I currently live here because this is the only place that had an opening for nursing school and I am counting the days until I can leave here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin