Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 PM

979 posts, read 3,671,175 times

Advertisements

To answer your questions... Yes, Yes, and pretty tight still...you sure don't want to just drive out there without planning to find a place to live first. You might need to do some research and find different realtors, numbers, and options for places to stay...might be a hotel, or mobile home instead of an apartment for a while. If you have your own camper...you can always stay at an RV park as well until you get into an apartment. They are still building apartments, but doubt the newest ones will be ready this spring...heard another 100 will be available around July or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,406 times
Hey paul not sure where you are from but i live outside chicago. About 3 weeks ago i found out about williston on this site and got in my work van and drove out there. (for the past 13 years i have been a carpenter) i went to the job service north dakota (they have a web site) and filled out some applications. I then went to the phone company got a phone book and got the williston herald (go online) and started calling and visiting the offices. I feel this is the best if you have the time you can see the town meet the people in the office fill out aplications look someone in the eye. It worked for me i am going to work for a worldwide company. I found that almost every company was hiring, for something and yes there are alot of cdl driver jobs some even had $1,000 signing bonuses. Sanjel requires a cdl black hills trucking, peak, halliburton and nabors just look in the phone book under oil and start calling. My company is helping me with an apartment for a few months. This is were you may have trouble there is nowhere to stay and this is not an exaggeration i had to sleep in my van at wal-mart for 2 nights because every hotel room within 50 mile was full and it was -0 degrees so phone first. I found it exciting just a lot going on a lot of jobs in this economy it was encouraging. I start my new career monday after christmas. So yes lots of jobs no housing but im just glad to be working again good luck hope this helps!!

BY THE WAY THANKS ROLOFF1976 ALL YOUR POSTS WERE HELPFUL AND ACCURATE

Last edited by MMAJAY77; 12-19-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Your Welcome MMAJAY77... I try to be realistic and check into my facts. I sure don't want people to think everything is all perfect and rosey up in Williston. There are some really good opportunities for people willing to work hard, but there are the drawbacks as well. People just need to remember to do their homework before they truck all the way up to that area...especially in the winter...especially if they don't have housing in place before they get up there. Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a GREAT New Year!!! I think it is going to be a busy one in the North Dakota Oil Patch for 2010 !!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 51,332 times
Default Oilfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by roloff1976 View Post
no, not letting them get to me at all...just sticking up for the town i used to live in. I think people get all gloomy doomy about a place they have never even been to, or understand. Some people just don't like the fact that williston is still doing okay, and not busting like they all thought. Heard the new candlewood in is getting ready to break ground. Keating furninture was bought out by i keatings and will be a i keatings-ashley furniture store. Still lots of good thinkgs happening up in that town. Still the second lowest unemployment in the state at 2.7% for march...where most other counties are 4-6%...no ones getting me down. Lol

some good info in the link below...current is about the new park and tennis complex...if u go into the archive, there is a really good article about the new housing being built and coming this summer in williston.

news from williston wire
i work in the oilfields of texas and i think what your seeing with the negative posts saying its over is politically driven their are a lot of people that do not want to see oil come out of the ground they have pipe dreams of wind mills and other biological fantasies for energy i think they are trying to slow it down maybe the leases will run out and the current administration will not re new these either just ask the oil workers in utah about this and on the other side as long as this government keeps de valuing the dollar oil prices will continue to rise

Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,471 times
Hello I own a rough framing & concrete business in Michigan.As most people know Michigan is in the tank big time. We have been working in Lousiana but I dont like the southern climate & am hearing that there id work in Williamston. Just wondering if what im hearing is true.Also how big is the unions out there.Thanks for any info.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

worthing...actually the town is called Williston... and yes, there is a lot of work there (as there is in most of western North Dakota...Minot, Stanley, Watford City, Tioga, etc..). I'm not sure what kind of rough framing & conrete business your in, but am assuming housing? I think you'd best check with Williston Area Builders Association - Home Page Someone from this organization could probably answer some of your questions on the needs in the building industry in Williston. When ever I go up to that town, there are new steel buildings popping up in wheat fields to house the many new oil service companies moving into Williston. Housing is still a problem though, as developers are leary of the boom/bust cycle from the last boom in the 80's...but there are many developers building on their own, but not 100's of homes at a time. I'm not sure how the building industry works in Williston. I know there are a lot of out of town contractors working there. Envision is one out of Michigan. Envision Home New Homes for sale in Williston ND I believe they were originally out of Elkhorn, MI?? His name is Joe LaFave, and is building a design center and an office building downtown (his plans anyway) to sell his new homes out of the design center, and fill a need for new office space in Williston. I could be wrong on the connection, but it is worth checking out. I do know that 1 new hotel was just completed, and 2 more are starting up this spring. One is a 4 story addition to the current International Inn...and the 2nd is for a 7 story Holiday Inn and conference center. The Holiday is actually out on bid (you can check out on this site... Miller Architects and Builders - Since 1874 - Projects for Bid ) The project manager contact is listed.
As far as UNIONS? pretty much Non-existant for the most part in North Dakota. Especially in the Williston area...you are dealing with Oil Companies that already pay well, and have full benefits...they do not want the unions involved in their business...as they already take good care of their workers for the most part) you will find some electricians who are members of the union, but North Dakota is a "right to work" state like Texas. So not sure what that means for you. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 16,471 times
Roloff1976 Thanks for the information it has been very helpfull.I am currently looking into places to stay & restaurants.It looks as tho I very weel may be coming out there with a four man crew.Again thanks. Steve

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Interesting article about moving in some of the Olympic Village housing from Vancouver down to Williston ... kind of shows how desperate they are for housing in Williston...

Olympic complex headed to Williston - MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,852 times
I'm currently in utah and heading to ND soon to open a company. I've read these posts for quite some time now and I can honestly say Rolof1976 is one of the most accurate folks on here. I appreciate your honesty and integrity. Considering the new pres. is for drilling, the oil industry will not be slowing down any time soon. So these posts have helped me alot. I've read almost a thousand, maybe more. The information is to be shared to make accurate calculated decisions. I mean after all it is peoples' live's we are talking about here. So again thank you all for the information and to all those contemplating moving do your research, it helps.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks "new pres" for the compliment. I hope your new company succeeds and thrives in North Dakota.
I was happy to see the governor of North Dakota and other state agencies represented up in Williston for some meetings with local officials. They are in dire need of financial support for the housing needs in western North Dakota, and sounds like they've come up with some solutions that may help developers in building more housing. It is hard for these smaller western communities to entice developers compared to the larger towns like Minot and Bismarck...so hopefully they will see some major new construction projects taking place in Williston over the next year and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston