Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM

360 posts, read 811,983 times

Advertisements

Just wondering from a native or someone who is working up there now, how accurate is the following video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqIcGQrHe40

Very accurate?
Somewhat accurate?
Not very accurate?
Complete BS?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 PM

435 posts, read 453,863 times
Lol I saw that vid a while ago, and there's a reason he turned the comment section off and it has more than two times as many thumbs DOWN as it's does thumbs ups: it's because 90% of it is bull****.

Seriously, a decent amount of what he says is totally made up, most of it is at least embellished, and it really seems like the guy just had a bad experience and wanted to vent.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-31-2014 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Filter

Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Well is he at least driving in the Williston vicinity? I dont see what looks like a boom as he is driving.

But what specifically is inaccurate? The wages he proclaimed, or the chances of getting a job?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well is he at least driving in the Williston vicinity? I dont see what looks like a boom as he is driving.

But what specifically is inaccurate? The wages he proclaimed, or the chances of getting a job?
Both.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 PM

98 posts, read 289,752 times
Its still boomin' but it's getting warmer so the ppl that left for the winter are coming to get their jobs back lol if that makes sense

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Not accurate at all. Not sure what this guys problem is or was, but I saw this video months ago and laughed. He sounds angry and mad about something. Maybe lost his job? Who knows. But the oil industry is still flourishing and Williston and other towns are still booming. Again, not sure the story behind the video, other than he was upset about something. It also appears the video was created early Sunday morning when you look at the empty roads, highways and downtown streets. Maybe this was for visual effect by this guy? Trying to make it look like everyone has left and the town has very few people living here anymore?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Not accurate at all. Not sure what this guys problem is or was, but I saw this video months ago and laughed. He sounds angry and mad about something. Maybe lost his job? Who knows. But the oil industry is still flourishing and Williston and other towns are still booming. Again, not sure the story behind the video, other than he was upset about something. It also appears the video was created early Sunday morning when you look at the empty roads, highways and downtown streets. Maybe this was for visual effect by this guy? Trying to make it look like everyone has left and the town has very few people living here anymore?
Kind of reminds you of people that post, "I hate it up here, nobody is friendly, everybody yells at me, nobody will talk to me....." and you think, "Have you looked in the mirror?"

Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM

267 posts, read 448,071 times
He sounded truthful to me. So you guys are saying that its almost all bs? I can get a 17 dollar an hour job at walmart within a month? I can get my cdl and even with a dui 3 years ago and no commercial truck driving experience get a job easily? My job applications wont be lost in the shuffle for a month or more? Ill have a good chance of landing an oil job that pays over 20 dollars an hour? That job will last a few years without my hours getting severely cut on a seasonal basis? I can find some reasonably priced housing with warm, running water in the winter? There are a lot of cute, single girls? Theres not much crime?

Im just trying to get the facts straight here guys because youre giving this dude a hard time and I think hes saving a lot of people from a long trip and a miserable time in a cruddy looking town.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
He sounded truthful to me. So you guys are saying that its almost all bs? I can get a 17 dollar an hour job at walmart within a month? I can get my cdl and even with a dui 3 years ago and no commercial truck driving experience get a job easily? My job applications wont be lost in the shuffle for a month or more? Ill have a good chance of landing an oil job that pays over 20 dollars an hour? That job will last a few years without my hours getting severely cut on a seasonal basis? I can find some reasonably priced housing with warm, running water in the winter? There are a lot of cute, single girls? Theres not much crime?

Im just trying to get the facts straight here guys because youre giving this dude a hard time and I think hes saving a lot of people from a long trip and a miserable time in a cruddy looking town.
No one said there weren't small kernels of truth in his little rant, but the fact is that he's exaggerating a lot of it and outright lying with some of it.

Why? Who knows. Maybe he had a bad day. Maybe he got laid off. It doesn't really matter.

AGAIN, there's a reason he turned off the comments and the video has been rated waaaaaay into the thumbs down side: it's because the guy is painting things with a much more negative, pessimistic brush than reality dictates and people are/were calling him on his bull****.

But hey, if you're the type of person who would make major career and life decisions based off the whims of a random unidentified youtube-er, then feel free to stay away.

Either way, the opportunity is still in North Dakota for those who want it.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Just listen to the guy constantly contradicting himself. He starts out saying there is absolutely no overtime and then later he says they work you to death with long hours. At the beginning he says $20 an hour and later says $11 Max and then say $16. He can't keep it straight. He said at the becoming that there are absolutely no apartments, but if you want one you'll pay $2000. a month and then later says apartments are $1600. a month.

Like previously stated, it sounds like he got laid off and is ticked. Also he said you have to live in a camper, but then said its impossible to live in a camper because you freeze. I lived in an RV for 10 years straight. I and my family were just fine.

He just can't keep his story straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston