Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 10,672 times

Advertisements

I have been browsing these forums for a month, trying to determine if a cross country move would be good for my family. Some of my questions have been answered but others haven't. Please bear with me, as I haven't had the time to search the forums lately, so all of my questions may have already been answered.

My family consists of my husband, our 20 year old daughter and me. My husband has spent his entire career in law enforcent/corrections and security. I have 8 years experience in the construction field as a helper, drywall installer and finisher and painting. I also have over 10 years experience in office/clerical, warehouse, dispatch, safety, inventory control and property control.

We are considering purchasing a used travel trailer to make the trip, but are unsure if this would be suitable. I read a thread where companies do not hire people who don't have a "permanent" address. That concerns me, because I'd hate to invest in an RV and get all the way there and not be able to find employment.

Would Williston area be the best area for our job skills or would we be better suited to look toward Bismarck? Or even Fargo?

We are currently both employed through the State of Louisiana. We want to get out of this state due to the severe crime rate, unforgiving, sweltering summers (which pretty much encompasses 9 out of 12 months) and peanuts for salaries. We want to make the move as a permanent one.

Our thoughts are to purchase the RV, give notice for our jobs and use our last paychecks (including all leave pay, etc) to drive there, find an RV camp and start seeking employment. And after reading all the threads about winter, I'm thinking we need to do this soon or wait until next March.

The biggest problem I see is that I am nearly 43. Are companies hiring older employees or are they cut-throat like here in Baton Rouge and mainly hire young folk?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

746 posts, read 1,731,984 times
Have you considered the Eagle Ford play in Texas? There are more rigs running there now than the Bakken. The Eagle Ford play runs 400 miles long, from the Mexican Border to northwest of Houston. It is about 100 miles in from the gulf, so it doesn't go through any large cities. Look up Eagle Ford jobs. He town of Beeville is smaller than Williston but going through a similar situation. The difference of course is that winters are mild but summers are scorching.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM

If your husband is in law enforcement, he should be applying to almost all the sheriff departments in the Bakken region, as most are short handed. The counties often help with housing, otherwise they can't get anyone. With housing, you and your daughter could easily find work and not have to deal with an RV.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Fourwinds,

I appreciate the suggestion, but we are really looking to get out of the South. The heat is unbearable. What you all have warned on these boards about the winters is something I would actually love to experience. Here in Baton Rouge, if you have a less than perfect air conditioning system or badly designed house, you can literally strip down to your birthday suit and still sweat. The winters typically see us running around in shorts and it's been probably 24 years or so since we have seen a real snow. It is so hot here with all the humidity that when you open your door from June through September, it is like walking out into a sauna. You can barely breathe. Not to mention there isn't anything pretty about this state. I'm sure I have the "grass is always greener" mentality, but I have viewed the pictures of ND and read everything I possibly can and it is just enchanting to me.

Last edited by ABayouLady; 07-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: bad should have been badly

Old 07-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Also try the Williston police department. Your husband's pay wouldn't be that high in law enforcement, but if he could get subsidized housing that would be huge. Then any pay you get could largely be saved for when housing comes down in price.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM

I wasn't aware that the local enforcement agencies were hiring to be honest and I didn't know they would provide any sort of housing. I've been scouring the jobsnd.com site for weeks now and have only seen a couple of law enforcement jobs. Thank you for the heads up, Fourwinds!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 PM

From my limited understanding, most of the newer hires in law enforcement in the Bakken are fresh out of school to get experience. Once experienced, they move on to lower cost areas. It wouldn't hurt to call the main county offices, which in the Bakken would be:

Williams County, Mountrail, Divide, McKenzie, Dunn, Starke, and maybe Ward. Also police departments in Williston, Dickinson, and Minot.

An experienced law officer applying is likely a rarity in those parts. Any housing they do help with would likely be a trailer or one bedroom apartment.

Some of the new apartment developments in Williston are offering reduced rates to law enforcement, teachers, just so they get them to come. Edit: Think it was Stanley (Mountrail County) where a developer reduced prices/rents for civil servants.

Living in an RV in the winter in ND is a very difficult hardship. Even the young, healthy, and steadfast people used to severe cold consider it very difficult at times.

Don't worry about your age in the Bakken (except for physical jobs in the oil field). Just be capable and upbeat.

Last edited by fourwinds; 07-27-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Go ahead and contact most of those agencies. The William's County Sheriff is supposedly on a continuous hiring cycle due to all the growth.

With your husband's experience with crime in Louisiana, that would be looked on as a huge plus, especially to help train younger deputies/officers on the job.

From earlier this year:

Mockin the Bakken » Sherrifs Top 35

14. Williams County Sheriff’s Department has more than doubled in staff over the last two years, they are now buying trailer houses that come up for sale to rent to newly hired deputies.

15. Williams County new starting salary with the academy is $ 46,000 plus 100% of all benefits paid.

16. They are in a continuous hiring cycle, they have no set budget at this time, the Sheriff has been told to manage his office to the best of his abilities and keep the Commission updated, but do not worry about the budget.

Last edited by fourwinds; 07-27-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,679,856 times
Companies are hiring mid age people, they hire reliable people and mid age seems to be the most reliable.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Aint that somethin'? Seems to be true for me, as well. The older I get, the more reliable I get and the more settled into a routine. I can remember 10 years ago thinking nothing of taking a sick day and now I feel guilty as all get out if I do. Strange how life is.

Thank you both so much for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston