Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM

84 posts, read 370,736 times

Advertisements

Class of 89. My sister was 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 25,795 times
man, and i drive through oliver and hillside at least once or twice a week without any trouble. middle of the night mind you. just mind your own business. keep the doors locked in case of a drunk/drughead.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM

14 posts, read 67,674 times
I have lived just outside of Detroit all my life and I'm having trouble believing that WICHITA can be as bad crime-wise as Detroit. Wichita is pretty much a small city IMHO. I don't dispute the fact that there are areas of crime within Wichita, but is it a slight exageration to say it's like Detroit? Im moving to Wichita within a few months and would like an objective viewpoint if possible.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 PM

61 posts, read 269,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have not lived there since the 80s either but according to family that still does, it has gotten worse in those areas. Armed gangs roam almost at will and killings and shootings and as common as rain. Back in the 70s we did not have armed gangs with machine guns roaming the streets of Wichita. While there was the ocassional murder- mainly in the Murdock area, it was usually domestic or between folks that knew each other. Not so today.
I live in Wichita, Crown Heights, which is between College Hill and Eastborough. I dont know what you are talking about, my neighborhood is extremely safe and people are out walking dogs, jogging etc. in the early morning at in the evening. I have never seen an armed gang roaming the streets where I live or heard that from others that I know who live in town. Why don't you look at the REAL crime stats about Wichita - and for the others who disparage real estate in Wichita look at the WSU research on real estate in Wichita. Real estate in Wichita continues to appreciate, sells fast, and is affordable. Regarding the public schools in WIchita there are some really excellant ones. Like all cities, not all are great but if if you got to the USD 249 website you can see all the data - test scores, standards of excellance and rates of school violence. THe facts, rather than scare tactics, speak for themselves.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 69,430 times
Default never been to Wichita, but legalize drugs!!

It's the coke heads meth heads and junkies who make all the trouble. If they had cheap crime we wouldnt have any problems!!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 23,014 times
We live close to Tyler-Central intersection on the West side. Cant say its very nice area to live (we like to go out but there is not a lot of places to do so) but we NEVER had ANY safety problems.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
If you want to talk about metro areas with serious problems take a look at Detroit, St Louis, or Dallas. Wichita isn't even be close to that level.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM

30 posts, read 242,466 times
I live in Oaklawn (South side of 47th) and work at 21st North and Tyler. It takes me about 20 min to drive with having the West side loop, so that's not too bad. I've lived in Kansas City Mo, Little Rock Ar, and Frankfurt Germany. It is true that Wichita doesn't have the crime rate of those cities, but for as small as it is, it does have more than it's share of crime. The map posted was just for violent crimes, doesn't include property crimes, auto theft (non carjacking), or drug related crimes.

I haven't seen armed gangs roaming the streets, but I was at towne east a few months ago, and saw 2 guys (appeared to be a Blood and a Crip because of the "colors") pull guns right inside the mall. Luckily security tased both of them before they opened fire. Yes, having security there saved it from being very nasty, but I'm planning to move out of Wichita as soon as I can.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bettes View Post
I was at towne east a few months ago, and saw 2 guys (appeared to be a Blood and a Crip because of the "colors") pull guns right inside the mall. Luckily security tased both of them before they opened fire. Yes, having security there saved it from being very nasty, but I'm planning to move out of Wichita as soon as I can.
I've heard the worst stories out of Towne East, which is so weird. I've gone during the weekend afternoons and never see any of that crap. Are the bangers there at nite?

Last edited by leighland; 02-25-2008 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I've heard the worst stories out of Towne East, which is so weird. I've gone during the weekend afternoons and never see any of that crap. Are the bangers there at nite?
Even when I lived there they had lots of trouble. The management of the mall was going to ban the city bus from stopping there at one time but backed off after the Eagle got whiff of the plan and put up a stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita