Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 19,857 times

Advertisements

My Husband may be accepting a job in Asheville (at the Hopsital). I was hoping to get some info on where to concentrate our home search. We have 2 children in Elementary school. Good school's are a must, are there some school's better than others in the area? We also want to be within 15 miles of Asheville. Are there any surrounding areas that are nice and have good school's? Our price range for a home would be in the 200K-300K range and we would like at least 1 acre of property. We would probably need to rent when we first move down and we do have pets, 1 medium size dog and 2 cats. Any one know of any houses to rent that allow pets or how I go about searching for this information. We will be coming down the end of March to look around and get acclimated with the area. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM

121 posts, read 278,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvt View Post
My Husband may be accepting a job in Asheville (at the Hopsital). I was hoping to get some info on where to concentrate our home search. We have 2 children in Elementary school. Good school's are a must, are there some school's better than others in the area? We also want to be within 15 miles of Asheville. Are there any surrounding areas that are nice and have good school's? Our price range for a home would be in the 200K-300K range and we would like at least 1 acre of property. We would probably need to rent when we first move down and we do have pets, 1 medium size dog and 2 cats. Any one know of any houses to rent that allow pets or how I go about searching for this information. We will be coming down the end of March to look around and get acclimated with the area. Thanks in advance for any help!
My choices in order of preference:

1)Weaverville
2)Fairview
3)Riceville Rd Area
4)Mills River
In a close tie I would also consider Fletcher

I would throw in all the others W. Asheville, E. Asheville etc. but your price point w/ and acre could get tight.

As for rentals check out Craigslist and Mtn Express Magazine.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-17-2010 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: No soliciting allowed.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,569,037 times
As Brian said you'll be really pressed to find a house on 1 acre in the 200-300K range unless its a real fixer upper. There was one near us that sold for $250K with 1.25 acres but it had a real mold problem and backed up to I26 with a lot of traffic noise. We looked at it when we were searching but the smell and noise were too much. Most houses in town are on small lots of about 0.1 acres. Riceville might be worth a try and sometimes you see a good buy in Fairview and they are all about 15 min to Mission--Larry

Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
What is the easiest airport or way to get to asheville if flying?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:11 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,369 times
Asheville Regional Airport or flying into Charlotte and driving to Asheville (two hour drive).

Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,608 times
Can also try Greenville/Spartanburg, SC. About a 50-60 minutes drive to Asheville.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 19,857 times
Thanks everyone for your help, It gives me a place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina