Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 29,286 times

Advertisements

We are moving to West Asheville and have heard horror stories about Charter Communications. Are there other companies that provide internet and TV options? What are the other options and are you pleased with the service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsummers View Post
We are moving to West Asheville and have heard horror stories about Charter Communications. Are there other companies that provide internet and TV options? What are the other options and are you pleased with the service?
The stories are true, Charter is horrendous, and their customer service is third world. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town when it comes to high speed internet access.

I should note that by "high speed", I mean 20MB, which is required for me based on my needs. If you can tolerate a bit slower speeds, you can get DSL with ATT.

For cable, the only options I'm aware of are Charter and DirectTV. I don't believe anyone but Charter offers a "triple play" type deal, so if cheap is your priority, you'll have to suck it up and go with Charter. If you don't need a land line, it may be worth it to go with DirectTV and ATT DSL for internet.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
sorry, if I jump in there with a related question:

who would be the provider for surrounding areas like haw creek or fairview ?

My husband works remote almost all the time, so hopefuelly he will be able to continue doing that in an acceptable way.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
sorry, if I jump in there with a related question:

who would be the provider for surrounding areas like haw creek or fairview ?

My husband works remote almost all the time, so hopefuelly he will be able to continue doing that in an acceptable way.
Haw Creek is Charter, my daughter lives in Haw Creek and they can't get DSL at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
I suggest you read this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-tv-phone.html

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
already did this afternoon, thanks. that helped a lot !

Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 29,225 times
Check out the nonprofit Mountain Area Information Network (MAIN). They use wireless technology virtually identical to SkyRunner's, but their mission is to push out to underserved areas, whereas SkyRunner focuses on the low-hanging fruit (nothing wrong with that).
[url=http://www.main.nc.us]MAIN - The Community Network of Western North Carolina[/url]

Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
charter sucks

Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 PM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
I don't care what cable company you're asking about, you'll always find someone who will complain about them. I've read here about a bunch of issues with Charter, but none have rated as bad as my experience with Comcast. Over the last 2 years, things have been so bad that the manager of all customer service, after reviewing phone calls and my problems, ended up giving me free Showtime for life. Seriously, between hardware issues that still continue (I'll be returning my 8th DVR in 2 years next week when I can clear it off), billing issues, and horrid customer service, I can't wait to try someone new.

Truth is, as long as companies have a monopoly in a specific area on certain products, they are not motivated to excel at customer service. They have us by the short hairs.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 25,935 times
Default ATT, Charter, and Skyrunner

West Asheville here and I bought a new house 5 years ago and tried to get Charter to come and put the cable down while my house was under construction. I started about a month before I knew the driveway was going to be poured. It was one horror story after another....missed appointments horrible customer service, etc. long story short, I went with ATT and have had DSL for 5 years, but I am on a mission to get ATT out of my life because their wireless service is horrible and once again the worst customer service....I keep logs of when I call in to tech or customer support and LITERALLY hours and hours with ATT. ATT just issued me a $257 credit for my troubles....that's how bad it has been. So I just decided to try Charter again....appointment was yesterday and THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP!!!!! I called and after being on the phone for about 35 minutes, they agreed to waive the installation fee and rescheduled for Monday. I posted my frustrations with all of this on Facebook and a friend said try SKYRUNNER....she loves them. It was after hours last evening so I sent the contact form info and at 9 am they called and they are coming out at 4 to do the install....the guy I spoke with was awesome and he answered all of my questions. SAME day appt!!! And my money stay in WNC!!!! How sweet is that? So now I get to tell Charter and ATT to take a hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina