Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,633,686 times

Advertisements

hey. Well I'm 23 uneducated with travel consulting and home health care experience. My current job is over the phone and internet so it doesn't matter where I am. I have good fam in morganton but according to them that general area is dried up. I like western carolina perhaps because it's the least like n.j. where I lived all my life.

I visited relatives this weekend like I do twice annually but this time it hit me that I'll never own anything in n.j. The property tax alone averages over 5k compared to 900 in n.c. If I'm gonna live tight with money it makes sense to live in a cheaper region and own something. The 1200 me and my mom pay for rent could go towards a home in n.c. If I move it'll be summer '10 with a modest 10k in savings. I'd like to get into a mobile home around 40 k.

I'd like to be within a half hour of a small town or larger town like Asheville. What are your ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM

43 posts, read 204,153 times
Perhaps Boone? A few healthcare options there (Watauga Med Ctr & App Regional Health Syst)... and tourism is big in the area. Just be sure to have the job first before moving and best of luck!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM

120 posts, read 390,955 times
dhanu86: The property taxes may be lower in NC than in NJ but you also need to check out the NC state income tax as the percentage is high, in general, plus the state just added an additional surcharge onto the state income tax. Just depends on how you want to pay your taxes because one way or the other, individual states are going to find ways to tax you especially in these economic times. And when it is a temporary tax, such as in sales tax, it often becomes permanent as history proves. Consider all these aspects before moving so you don't get a financial surprise.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,633,686 times
Thanks. My uncle has a descent job and surprisingly when I compared my check to his, mine after tax was bigger so that did surprise me. His salary is more, but I keep even more.

What jobs are considered tourism for instance? We have a lot of tourism in n.j. but it doesn't employ anyone I've known.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,900 times
Not much available in that range anywhere in WNC. Also check and make sure you really have a Loan Officer that works with Mobiles. Not many do and funding has all but dried up for them. Search the entire WNS MLS (http://www.jerrimccombs.com/Hendersonville_NC_Real_Estate/Search_for_A_House.html - broken link) to see what you can get.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM

43 posts, read 204,153 times
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
What jobs are considered tourism for instance? We have a lot of tourism in n.j. but it doesn't employ anyone I've known.
Not exactly what I meant. I don't believe jobs DO fall under "tourism", since is defined as travel for recreation, leisure, or business purposes (but if anyone finds out differently, please let me know... who wouldn't want to be paid to travel/vacation for their job - ha!). Tourism is an important revenue generator/industry for the WNC area, so if you have travel consultant/agent experince, there may be existing oppportunity in that field or heck, eventually start your own travel consulting business once you learn the area (if you're so inclined).

Just trying to be helpful/offer suggestions in response to your request. We've been to that area many times and everything about it is absolutely wonderful. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina