Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

460 posts, read 778,751 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a bit of a silly question, but I'm considering applying to a graduate program at WCU and had a few questions about the perception of the university. According to their website, the school is part of the UNC system. Obviously it is no Duke or UNC-CH, but how do locals in western NC view the quality of education? Is it a generally respected school, or is it one of those colleges that has a poor reputation in the area for quality of education? I'm looking at the M.Accountancy program.

Does anyone have any insight, either as an alumni or as someone who may have hired WCU grads recently?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
I would check national lists such as US News & World Report etc for how it ranks.

Within the UNC system of 17 universities, it's not considered near the top, but not near the bottom, either. Being so far west, it kind of serves the purpose as a "Default" college for many people in Western NC. The school is best known for Education programs--lots of really innovative things going on there. the theatre dept is also good. I don't know about the Accounting program or its reputation.

However, I LOVE the campus and the town (Cullowhee). I spent several summers there as a kid and recently, for the first time in 30 years, got a chance to go back, and there is a "magic" in the air in Cullowhee for me. The town pretty much IS the college; there is little else to do (other than "mountain" things, which will not compare to what you have in Denver) without going to Asheville, about an hour away (and Asheville is very cool)--which is probably a good thing for a graduate student not wanting distractions. In fact, I am celebrating my upcoming birthday for a weekend in Asheville and taking a side trip to Cullowhee for the day is one of my reasons for doing that.

I would come for a visit and I bet you'll fall in love with the campus. MAC degrees are pretty marketable no matter where they come from, unless you're looking at Big Eight-type jobs, right?

But as for the reputation, I bet there are grad school rankings published somewhere that will address that.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 PM

460 posts, read 778,751 times
It looks like the graduate business/accounting programs actually take place at the Asheville Biltmore park campus, which makes sense if the school has partnerships with the area business community.

I'm heading to the Asheville area in about two weekends, so hopefully I'll get a chance to get a feel for the local area.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,527,746 times
I don't know a thing about WCU's reputation or quality of their accounting program, but I do know that Appalachian State's accounting program is very, very good. I haven't kept up lately but there was a time that ASU's grads led all UNC system schools in passing the CPA exam in NC.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
My daughter is an undergrad there now. I don't think the general ed type courses are all that great, but now that she is working in her major (environmental science) not only has the pace picked up, but so has the quality of her courses. That probably translate well for grad program.

She has not had huge classes like you get at the bigger schools. She loves Cullowhee. I think their nursing school is pretty good too, very tough to get into.

Don't know much about accounting, but something in the back of my head vaguely remembers a positive stat being quoted on one of our orientation briefings.

Overall I am quite satisfied. In North Carolina you will be fine with a Degree from WCU. If you are looking NYC, LA, or huge out of state cities, it will not be as impressive as other, local schools.

Plus they "played" Alabama in football last year!

Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
...plus they "played" Alabama in football last year!
as an University of Alabama alumnus (and one of the few in the area), I was excited to see a university from the Western NC mountains play in Tuscaloosa (and, actually be one of the few who knew where Western Carolina was located!). I greatly admire the University of North Carolina system (esp its low tuition rates). 49-0 is not too bad of an outcome when considering Alabama is nationally renowned team and your playing at Bryant-Denny.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,633 times
I graduated from there in 06 and loved every minute of it. I cant really comment on the quality of the Accounting program, but I can only assume it's a quality program. WCU is mainly known for nursing and education, but most every program had a good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina