Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 53,612 times

Advertisements

I should quite start by saying I also posted this in the Tennesee forum and I hope that's ok??

I have been reading here for months and months and everyone has always been so helpful, so I decided it was time for me to try out this message board thing I'm hoping that someone will sort of know both of these areas enough to help us out!

My husband and I decided long ago that we'd like to move a bit farther south (ok, quite a bit as we're from small town WI). We've been looking at the Lenoir, NC area and also the eastern part of Tennesse.
Now, obviously we wouldn't make the move until a job was secured, but we're trying to decide which one would be better for us to concentrate on the job situation better. We have been to both areas, but mostly just a "drive though" type thing.

We are mostly concerned with a nice, friendly place to raise our kids (ages 5, 3 and 1).
I've heard many people say that the Lenoir/ NC area was not very friendly as far as welcoming "transplants" in that kids tended to be with their family and kids they grew up with. I was thinking that this shouldn't be a concern as my kids are still little??
Safe area.
A good school system.
Small town (or small town feel) where I will know my neighbors and we can do things for each other, but they still don't have to "know" everything. I come from a small town in WI (pop.5,000) so everyone knows me, my parents, my grandparents, etc LOL It has it's benefits, but it does get a little old!

I guess probably the typical things everyone wants. If you can give me opinions on which areas you liked better or disliked it would be great! We're hoping to come down in a few weeks to check things out a bit more for ourselves, but I'm hoping to maybe get a few pointers on where to start or stay away from.
THANK You so much!
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8tn2go View Post
I should quite start by saying I also posted this in the Tennesee forum and I hope that's ok??

I have been reading here for months and months and everyone has always been so helpful, so I decided it was time for me to try out this message board thing I'm hoping that someone will sort of know both of these areas enough to help us out!

My husband and I decided long ago that we'd like to move a bit farther south (ok, quite a bit as we're from small town WI). We've been looking at the Lenoir, NC area and also the eastern part of Tennesse.
Now, obviously we wouldn't make the move until a job was secured, but we're trying to decide which one would be better for us to concentrate on the job situation better. We have been to both areas, but mostly just a "drive though" type thing.

We are mostly concerned with a nice, friendly place to raise our kids (ages 5, 3 and 1).
I've heard many people say that the Lenoir/ NC area was not very friendly as far as welcoming "transplants" in that kids tended to be with their family and kids they grew up with. I was thinking that this shouldn't be a concern as my kids are still little??
Safe area.
A good school system.
Small town (or small town feel) where I will know my neighbors and we can do things for each other, but they still don't have to "know" everything. I come from a small town in WI (pop.5,000) so everyone knows me, my parents, my grandparents, etc LOL It has it's benefits, but it does get a little old!

I guess probably the typical things everyone wants. If you can give me opinions on which areas you liked better or disliked it would be great! We're hoping to come down in a few weeks to check things out a bit more for ourselves, but I'm hoping to maybe get a few pointers on where to start or stay away from.
THANK You so much!
Jenn
Jenn, just my 2 cents...stick with the Knoxville, TN general area. Unemployment in the Hickory/Lenoir NC area is MUCH higher (15%) and jobs would be much tougher to come by there.

Another area I love is the Roanoke, Virginia area. Unemployment there is only about 6%! The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and it's a great place to raise kids

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 28,441 times
Try the boone area

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM

I had heard that the Lenoir/Hickory area was hit pretty bad with unemployment I will check out the Roanoke area too, thanks!
My husband will be very happy to have places narrowed down so I don't insist he drive all over the state! LOL

Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,527 times
How about the Johnson City, TN area? I am a California transplant and lived in Johnson City (TN) for about a year and a half before moving over to Boone (NC) in Nov 2007. I liked the tri-cities, it's at the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, has an airport served by several airlines, and was close to major interstates. Additionally as people have said, there was no state income tax. Yes, the sales tax was higher to compensate but you could always buy things across the border in VA if the extra 2% bothered you that much. Further, TN does not require inspections on your vehicles and does not charge a vehicle tax. It cost me $24 to renew my vehicle registration on my 2002 Honda Civic (vehicle registration costs vary by county, but Washington County and Carter County - (where Johnson City is located) were among the cheapest in the state). AND, gas is cheaper in much of TN than in NC because, as I understand it, NC has the 2nd highest gas tax in the country.

When I lived in TN I thought it was a bargain. I didn't own property, though, so not sure about the property taxes. But sometimes I wondered why more people didn't live there. Great location in the rolling hills of East TN, PLENTY of chain stores in Johnson City (Wal Mart, K Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels (craft store), Old Navy, Best Buy, Kohls, JC Penney, Belk, Sears, Sams Club, Pier 1, Barnes and Noble, plus many many other commonly known stores including FedEx Kinkos, UPS Store, Dollar General, Honeybaked Ham store, Blockbuster, etc, etc, etc ...plus many chain restaurants - Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, Smoky Bones, Red Lobster, Johnny Carinos, Carrabas, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Texas Roadhouse, Cheddars, Ryans, Golden Corral, Logan's Roadhouse, Outback Steakhouse - and other local eateries and many fast food places). You'll find all the drug store chains and all the car dealership chains. You name it, Johnson City likely has it (or something similar) - and with a population of around 50,000. But it still has a very rural feel. A minute or two out of town and you wouldn't know you're so close to civilization.

You've also got ETSU (East Tennessee State University), the Bristol Motor Speedway (NASCAR), and a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital. There are also, I think, two trauma centers within the Tri-Cities region.

There's a nice lake nearby for recreation, and if you want to ski or have fun in the mountains, you can hop in the car and drive the 60 miles to the area where I now live in NC.

You could live in town, or travel out of town by just 5 minutes and be in a country setting. And there's no rush hour, either. Just minutes outside Johnson City is a town called Jonesborough which is Tennessee's oldest town. They still have the old west style main street.

To me, East Tennessee (Tri Cities - Johnson City area) is a great place. Even though I now live in the Boone (NC) area, just 60 miles from Johnson City, Johnson City was where I chose to relocate (when I was trying to decide between East TN and Western NC) after living in Northern CA for 35 years.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM

451 posts, read 1,566,345 times
I think that if you check out a town with a decent size University, it seems to draw more people and employment opportunities. Universities bring a special energy because of young people. I live in Boone which has gotten expensive, but I love it here. The Tri Cities is a great place. I have not lived there but have met many people from there. It does have a lot going for it. VA Hospital as well as a University. Lenior is very depressed right now although Google has opened there.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM

I have gotten many responses that the tri-cities area is such a great spot. I think we will definitely concentrate our visit on that general area!Thank you everyone! You don't realize how helpful all your thoughts and opinions are to us hoping to relocate smoothly.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 PM

38 posts, read 64,837 times
Be careful with the Tri-Cities area. We left Erwin TN several months back and they had been hit very hard with job loss. I'm originally from Mars Hill (Asheville area) North Carolina and to me, nothing beats the hospitality of the NC mountains! Boone is beautiful, but just across the mountain from Johnson City is Asheville NC with LOTS more opportunities and a much wider diversity of people. People tend to care more about education & health (in my personal opinion) in NC more so than TN. I too have three children the same ages as yours and if I were going back (having lived in both areas) would absolutely go to Asheville. Schools in Buncombe Co are top notch, as well as health care. Did not like the schools or health care in JC TN at all! Hope this helps! Good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM

50 posts, read 165,569 times
Hey all, new here as well. Looking to relocate (I am a resident) to TN, NC or AR from a beautiful place in WI. We are open to any town/city with great views. Right now I love the view we have in WI (bluffs of the Mississippi river) so we prefer that view if possible. I can pretty much go anywhere where there is a hospital , my kids will be in college, and my hubby will be retired service member. I must be close to an aiport and love to shop! please give me ideas....East TN area (tri-cities vs Knox), Western NC, or AR>>> thanks.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

69 posts, read 181,703 times
It depends on what you are looking for. Life in Tennessee is cheaper but I found that it is more like anywhere USA when it comes to character. Johnson City has potential but it still has a ways to go.

Aside from Asheville and Boone there are several other small NC towns that are extremely quaint with neat shops, cafes and dinning in the center. Black mountain right by Asheville is among my favorites. There are also some other college towns like Sylva/Dillsboro, Brevard, Mars Hill. Some upscale wealthy towns like Blowing Rock, Highland/Cashiers (the highest town east of the Mississippi before Beach mountain was built). Tiny but precious towns like Saluda and Hot Springs where everyone meets in the town center because there are no strip malls. Horse country towns like Tryon and Columbia. Towns like Bryson City and Waynesville that bump up against the Smokies. Also form some spots in WNC you can make it to the coast in less than 4 hours. Saluda to Charleston is 235 mi of interstate. It can be cold in the mountains in the winter and sunny and in the 60s in Charleston.

I find the NC mountain towns are far more progressive and artsy than Eastern Tennessee and the lifestyle is superior but it comes with a cost. There are not many depressing deserted towns in NC. I think maybe the southwest corner could be though. I suppose it is like comparing Utah to Colorado or Virginia to West Virginia. All areas are beautiful but the wealthier state has more to offer culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina