Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 AM

187 posts, read 1,023,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ah yes, complacency born in the ignorance that if it is worse someplace else it is perfectly acceptable here.

How do you think 'those' places got so bad in the first place? Because no one raised their voice to say this ain't the way it is supposed to be, and by completely ignoring the problem, your approach, and the problem grew through the complacency of these fools, who were too busy, too uncaring, to self-involved, or just don't care about anything unless it is in their immediate backyard.

I ain't your buddy, but your complacency is the problem. Why don't YOU move next to one of those cesspools, after all you support the stench they emit by your acceptance of the status quo and complacency.

I'm a firm believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but these cesspools are broken and sticking your head in a dark place or attacking those that do protest is counter productive enabling the drug dealers and criminals that are drawn to these cesspools like flies to a pile of dung, all on the backs of property owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Still waiting our your first fact to support any opposition you have to any of my comments. You rant and rave and send rather childish name calling personal messages, and you have yet to produce a single fact to substantiate any of your positions, other than the fact the truth really seems to get under your skin.

I'm feeling a strong wind blowing beneath my wings

Where are your facts, exactly? Posting a diatribe like this and then saying that I need to disprove it is beyond childish - it's just stupid. Just because you blather on about cesspools and city council doesn't really say much of anything other than you are one seriously cranky old man.

I've posted in threads about my experience living in Montford, hiking on trails in the area, things to do in downtown Asheville, good restaurants to try out. Sometimes I reference specific facts (I had fun posting data disproving that Buncombe County had the 2nd highest teen pregnancy rate in the state), but sometimes I post based on what I have experienced personally. I could go on, but it's pretty much guaranteed that people's experiences don't count much with you if it's at all positive and you will post to belittle anything that even remotely implies that this is a nice place to live.

You are one of the most miserable people I have ever seen on a message board. Seriously.

Oh by the way, I've also posted about living near one of the "cesspools" you like to babble on about. It's really not a bad place to live. I have friendly neighbors, no crime, and I can walk to downtown. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's been my experience for the past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
hiking on trails in the area,

Well let's keep it simply, you posted about an encounter with a snake on a trail.

I never even suggested that your post was anything but factual.
I never even suggested that snakes are not a hazard for anyone in the woods.

My only comment on the topic was that in my experience Yellow Jackets are a greater hazard than snakes and your over reaction was defensive, childish, petty and completely irrational. Well here read it again, see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
Must you crap on everything? My dog almost tangled with a baby copperhead - the markings are very obvious. Your dogs must be geniuses - probably because you own them.

3IGs, never mind what I said. It was all a figment of my imagination.
I know the problem, you know the problem, but you don't have the maturity to acknowledge it. What a beautiful clear sunny day to soar

Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM

187 posts, read 1,023,340 times
Whatever, old timer.

I'm done posting in this thread. Feel free to have the last word. We all know how desperately you need to have that.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Looooooong on insults, zero on facts

Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 89,155 times
i really think this thread got off-topic, A BIT. btw in my previous post i was not trying to insult. actually i felt a little insulted myself. and i am not buying in to the status quo. if i was doing that i wouldn't care and wouldn't have ever worked to make these types of neighborhoods better. granted, i never have in avl, but i'm tempted to see if any of them need any help

Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
I am thinking about moving to Asheville. What areas would you recommend to live in on a low middle class income.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakphx View Post
I am thinking about moving to Asheville. What areas would you recommend to live in on a low middle class income.
West Asheville, just be sure to be west of I240.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM

765 posts, read 2,570,076 times
Just how low--different folks have different views of what the middle class really is? For example the Drum Major Institute...places the range for middle class at individuals making between $25,000 and $100,000 a year. If you're at the lower end of that you might have a hard time anywhere in West Asheville unless you choose the public housing there. Hard to say unless one knows the price range of housing you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakphx View Post

Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
If you're at the lower end of that you might have a hard time anywhere in West Asheville unless you choose the public housing there. Hard to say unless one knows the price range of housing you're looking for.
The waiting list for public housing is so long the Asheville Housing Authority has closed the list and are not taking any more applications.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM

57 posts, read 160,200 times
I'm sorry, but I lived in West Asheville for a time, Canteberri Heights Apts to be precise, and I would never live there again.

I devoted 99.9% of my money to Asheville area colleges, businesses, and studied classical fencing for 5 years. I am proficient with multiple weapons, and West Asheville scared the crap outta me. The day I moved in I was leered at for 4 hours, cursed at, called a *****, my family was insulted, and someone tried to steal my washer and dryer. The 3rd night I was there, I heard multiple gunshots. I lasted 2 weeks there, and the entire time I could not leave my apartment without fearing for the safety of my pets and my belongings. Not to mention being called a **** everytime I got out of my car.

I am well aware it was my own fault for not spending more time at the complex, but living four hours away rather cuts into your available time.

I know there are good places to live in West Asheville, but the majority of it...I would not reccomend to an Asheville newbie. Best thing to do is research your butt off, and go and talk to the people who live there, before you move in. Asheville is a great place, but research it first, don't jump in blindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina