Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,607 times

Advertisements

It wasn't really an attack... just an observation.

It's not like you are offering any real solutions to what you view as numerous problems with the area - you just like to complain about it.

Incessantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 AM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
There's more to West Asheville than hippies and projects. That's such an over generalization.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
It wasn't really an attack... just an observation.

It's not like you are offering any real solutions to what you view as numerous problems with the area - you just like to complain about it.

Incessantly.
So, you are just fine with the rampant and open drug dealing in your city, in housing projects supported by tax dollars? I guess you are of the "I don't use drugs, I don't go to that part of town" so why should it concern me, I'm happy in my neighborhood of denial.

Yes, I harp on the problems in Asheville, especially when they are tax supported by me and everyone else that lives here, taking your approach only encourages the further decline of Asheville in to the cesspool it is in places now.

I hope you aren't my neighbor, cause I want neighbors that will raise their voice and demand change if an undesirable faction such as drug dealers move into the neighborhood. Your approach of plugging your ears and closing your blinds only empowers the undesirables and their behavior, or is it the simple selfshness of "well it's not in my neighborhood". Or perhaps you would raise your voice, but only for your neighborhood? Now wouldn't that be a very selfish position to take?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM

And you are such a wonderful person for tracking the 'flavor' of my 250 postings, gee I might think you are out to make this personal, and attack me for that. I have opinions, and you have opinions, you came in here attacking me for expressing mine, then you accuse me of being rude. You are the one that wants to make this personal, I was referring to Asheville in general, and the blatant refusal of the current leadership here to do anything about it. Your response is to attack me, oh yea that is a positive and productive position.

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks

Old 12-08-2007, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,653 times
Default Asheville becoming North Florida

Please, please, please stay in Florida. Asheville is being overrun. We cannot handle any more. Our home prices are being driven up and now artists and musicians that once made this great mountain town great cannot afford to leave here.
Instead giant Hummers and Avalanches and escalades can now be seen cruising down West Asheville and the mountaintops are being paved over with huge houses.
Asheville is cool becasue the people get involved with the community, are open minded, and are eccentric and diverse. Floridians come to make a buck because it is cheaper to live here and is less crowded.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridiot View Post
Please, please, please stay in Florida. Asheville is being overrun. We cannot handle any more. Our home prices are being driven up and now artists and musicians that once made this great mountain town great cannot afford to leave here.
Instead giant Hummers and Avalanches and escalades can now be seen cruising down West Asheville and the mountaintops are being paved over with huge houses.
Asheville is cool becasue the people get involved with the community, are open minded, and are eccentric and diverse. Floridians come to make a buck because it is cheaper to live here and is less crowded.

Another member of the "Welcome Wagon." LOL Can't stop people from coming, they come to Florida all the time. People are always coming and going. It's a free country.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Another member of the "Welcome Wagon." LOL Can't stop people from coming, they come to Florida all the time. People are always coming and going. It's a free country.
While I'm not originally from Asheville, I wouldn't have any complaints if the rate at which people are moving here slowed down a bit, especially the very wealthy...as i will likely get priced out of here in a few years, but as previously stated it's a free country andpeople are free to do as they wish. I'm not going to hold my own thoughts on it against every person who moves here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridiot View Post
Asheville is cool becasue the people get involved with the community, are open minded, and are eccentric and diverse.
Better enjoy and take advantage of all the culture and diversity here because there won't be any of that left here in the future. Asheville is gentrifying pretty rapidly. Give it several years and it'll just be a vacation spot, 2nd home, and/or resort community of older folks, most of whom will be retirees.(no offense intended to anyone there, just stating what's happening here) The rest of us who are still fairly young won't be able to afford to live here anymore. Same for the people who are native to the area too. I won't go into all the details of it but I work with a lady who's family is being forced to sell off nearly all of the land that's been in their family for 70 years due to the rapidly rising property taxes (values went through the roof when a developer bought the land adjacent to theirs to put a high end housing community up). It's pretty sad....

Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM

I suspect most of the large segments of family owned land will be gone in less than 10 years. I know several people selling all or part of their property as they watch the taxes on their property increase 10 fold in a single re-evaluation, and with re-evaluations every 4 years the light at the end of the tunnel is another train.

Property tax laws in NC are solely on the side of the cities and counties, the state that never saw a tax they didn't like. People are throwing in the town as taxes simply break their bank, while our neighboring state (SC) is working to cut property taxes by 50%.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
While my comment above was somewhat light-hearted, I have stated many times before that I am in agreement with those of you who are natives and long-time residents. It is sad to see how quickly Asheville is gentrifying - more and more of the "funky" stores that I love on Lexington are leaving, with slicker, more expensive ones in their place. I am afraid to say this but it seems like it might become another "Sarasota", a coastal town in Florida that was once artsy, quirky, beautiful and laid-back until the mega-money from all over the world started coming and knocking down every friggin' historic building and putting up concrete monoliths, and destroying trees and wildlife habitat. If one could see what used to be in this town and see it now the sobbing would go on for a week. Yes, I used to live there, and got out - ugh.

I really hope it doesn't happen in Asheville. Maybe since the housing market is down most everywhere the in-migration will slow. I know that you all know I am one of those "part-time" residents, but we are average folks and came here to appreciate the native culture and all the neat, Bohemian, quirky things about the town, not to mention the beauty and wildlife. We love our little home in our old established in-town neighborhood, we have the best neighbors you could ask for and it has a wonderful community feel. We have a VOLUNTARY community association, not for telling people what to do with their property, but to fight the city against encroachments to our neighborhood and way of life.

Anyway, I hope everyone doesn't just blame Floridians for coming and upsetting the applecart, anymore than I would just blame folks from the NE for ruining Florida. Bottom line is, they come from all over the United States and the world. People discover a nice place and the next thing you know it's written up in magazines and articles and the hype feeds upon itself and next thing you know that nice place has become unrecognizable.

Well, sorry for the novel, just wanted to express some thoughts that are in basic agreement with some of you here. Let's hope Asheville can keep it's unique culture and flavor for many decades to come.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM

I think you will find that most people understand that most vehicles with Florida plates are really occupied by yankees that couldn't take the heat and humidity of Florida and move halfway back. Thus known as halfbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina