Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 17,749 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a second home in the WNC area. I have been looking at log homes in Murphy. Can anyone give me some info on the area, ie property taxes and quality of life? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM

535 posts, read 1,742,672 times
Quiet area, not much there. There is a walmart, for "mall" shopping you're going to have to drive to Asheville (a couple of hours if the weather is nice) or into GA. Lots of retirement homes there, a lot of Floridians. They have an odd beer law there, you can buy wine but not beer. If you want beer you're driving into Andrews or so for it.

The downtown is pretty, everything is in one area.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,013,433 times
Property Tax Rates

County - 0.3850
Murphy - 0.3300

Total - 0.7150 per $100

Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM

93 posts, read 371,289 times
Within the city limits of Murphy the laws have changed regarding wine and beer sales. They voted last year and passed a referendum that wine & beer could be sold and served in the restaurants and groceries. No longer have to drive to Andrews, even though the drive there is absolutely beautiful.

The downtown is very nice and walkable with shops and restaurants, not sure if the recession is going to put anyone out of business, hopefully not. I believe Chattanooga is a little closer for major shopping as mapquest said about 1.45 hrs, of course that too depends on weather and the sales tax is higher. Our goal is also to have a 2nd home there in 3 yrs. Good Luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 371,289 times
Forgot to mention, the residents we spoke to that had moved there, yes mostly from FL, did enjoy living there. I will say that if you try to become friends with the families who have been there for generations, you will definitely find resistance/indifference so don't bother. Plenty of transplants in the small subdivisions all around there to become friends with from what we could tell.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,923,480 times
I'd just add that there are some nice golf courses in the area (both in NC and across the border in GA), if that's a consideration, and a couple of decent restaurants downtown. Not much in terms of night life or cultural interests, but a nice, small, quaint town. Close to some great hiking trails and not far from NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center).

Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM

535 posts, read 1,742,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysDreamer View Post
Within the city limits of Murphy the laws have changed regarding wine and beer sales. They voted last year and passed a referendum that wine & beer could be sold and served in the restaurants and groceries.
Oh good. I have a remote office out there and it stunk to go out to get food and no one had beer. :P Glad the cultured finally allowed beer.

It was funny, I walked into Ingles to get beer. "Where is the beer cooler?" They gave me a look like I was from Mars.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 17,749 times
Thanks for the information. We are planning a trip to the area over spring break. It's also good to know we will not be the only Florida people in the area.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM

129 posts, read 489,326 times
No, you won't be the only Fl people.But I have to warn you, that in my experience, it's sometimes the Fl people that are harder to connect with IF they've made it in with the locals. The economy in Murphy is almost non existent.Businesses are closing up left and right.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,212 times
Default Let me warn you

PLEASE, PLEASE Do your homework before you buy a log home.
We restore log homes and work in the area from time to time.
I can tell you, If you know nothing about them, it is real easy to buy a junker.....believe me. Also understand, A log home although very beautiful they ARE high maintenance. I know, I live in one. I would not trade it for anything, but you must educate yourself on
1) Construction -80% are improperly built (check the caulking)
2) If they are built close to the ground...pass!
3) Type of finish, Latex,oil, solid, semi....to much to explain here.
4) Porches, overhangs- the more the logs are exposed, the more maintenance.
There are others, just do your homework!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina