Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

I live in Robbinsville, which is about 30 minutes from Murphy. It's a lovely town, very quiet but still gives access to daily needs. A lot of the folks from Florida like it there and have purchased homes, including my family. There is a good bit of flat land also, and it is surrounded by mountain terrain. It has a good feel to it. I highly recommend it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM

63 posts, read 152,093 times
Quote:
Forgot to mention, the residents we spoke to that had moved there, yes mostly from FL, did enjoy living there. I will say that if you try to become friends with the families who have been there for generations, you will definitely find resistance/indifference so don't bother. Plenty of transplants in the small subdivisions all around there to become friends with from what we could tell.
LOL, my family has been here for generations and some of my best friends are from "off"

Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyLivin View Post
Murphy is the city to me! LOL We live in the county next to cherokee county, Clay County. It is very peaceful and beautiful. We have a mountain spring we use for drinking water. It is sooo nice. But we are "retiring" to Virginia so are moving away soon too. I hate to leave this place, anyone who moves here loves it.

We have been here for 9 years and have been welcomed by the community.

I will miss the clean mountain air, the cows mooing, and the horses across the road.
My husband are moving to Murphy within the next year and are coming down in september to look at houses..........chalets. I have never been there but from what I've found out it is extremely beautiful and a great place to retire. I'm a bit concerned about the people though. I've been reading the comments and I get both good and not so good about the locals. How long have yu lived in Murphy and why are you going to Va? I grew up in Va.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,628 times
My husband and I are moving to Murphy within the next year. We are making a trip down there to look at houses..............chalets. We've never been there but from what I've been able to find out it is absolutely beautiful. My only concern is the locals. I've read both good and not so good comments. Please tell me it is a friendly place and how does one go about getting in with all the community organizations?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
I lived in Murphy / Hayesville for over 8 years, and it's very hit and miss. there are some people that are friendly and others that are not. there are people that are friendly to your face and then talk about you as soon as you leave. However, that is true for everywhere. the problem with both Clay and Cherokee County is that the area is so small everyone knows your business. Also, with the economy the way it is, the area has gotten more violent and drug ridden. When I was taking classes at the community college there, I got to be friends with one of the sherrif's deputies, and we talked several times about how there are many many child molesters in the area, both registered and non registered. It's easy to be off the grid there, and believe me after selling real estate there for several years, I can tell you some stories about people looking to move there for that very reason.

Not trying to scare you. It's a beautiful area and I still have family there. Would i move back? NEVER!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 AM

8 posts, read 28,238 times
Murphy is a great place to retire to. We have been here for two years and love the area and the people. The BS about drugs etc is never backed up by facts, just opinion. The area is no different then any other part of the country. If you want trouble you can find it and if you want to meet great people and live in a great community you can find that too. Am I glad I moved to Murphy YES!!! would I move NO WAY.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
I am glad, movingtomurphy, that you are having a good experience there. But I have to tell you that the drug problem is absolutely NOT BS! It has gotten so bad there, that even one of the prominent real estate agents was recently busted for drugs, and as the economy gets worse, so does the drug problem. And speaking of real estate agents, there were several of us a few years ago ( maybe three years) that took a class to be able to handle the after effects and dangers of a meth house, the problem had gotten so bad. You see when the meth is manufactured, the fumes / gasses get into everything and cause a health hazzard and it's extremely hard to get out of the dwelling. In fact, it gets into the water supply of not only the house where it's made, but can get into the surrounding homes.

Yes, you can find trouble if you are looking for it, but there are a lot of cases where it comes to you.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 AM

227 posts, read 856,024 times
Glad movingtomurphy is enjoying it also. We have a lot there and hope to either build or buy existing within the next 3 yrs. Friends just finished their cabin so they will find out first hand. Beautiful area and plenty of FL folk or locals to become friends with. Yes, drugs are there as they are everywhere plus we read the Cherokee Scout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina