Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 25,553 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what radio stations come in clearly in Franklin NC. Can you get Atlanta Stations? I love talk radio and it is important to me that I can get Coast to Coast, Drudge, Hannity, etc., before I consider retiring there. Any info would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
If you have problems picking it up there you can get a high gain VHF/UHF tv antenna to help you out. The radio spectrum falls between tv channels 5 and 6 and tv antennas work excellant for reception. I use a 120" Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna for my HDTV and I can pick up stations from Morehead City to Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks! Gosh, I never thought about TV reception in addition to the radio. Guess that is important too. I'll have to check on internet access also. Those three things are our only forms of entertainment.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 AM

I"m guessing that you're talking about the Franklin in Macon County. With a decent antenna you should be able to get it all of the time. It looks to be about 60/70 miles to Atlanta. Remember, the higher the antenna the better it works. TV will definately be an iffy proposition though and you will have to rely on either satellite or the local stations. The local tv station list provided by City-Data doesn't include much. 5 stations and 3 of those are PBS. Cable tv may be an option as well as high speed internet but I wouldn't count on it.

I highly recommend you do a whole lot of research before you move there as it doesn't appear that there is much in the way of civilization there. You sound like you're used to some of the perks of Metro living and I don't think Franklin has those perks. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
I believe Mediacom is the local cable company provider for the city of Franklin and Macon County for high-speed Internet, digital radio and HDTV.

http://www.mediacomcc.com/home.html

Last edited by mm34b; 03-07-2007 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 05:31 AM

30 posts, read 126,520 times
Snickers,
I just bought a place in Murphy where the radio is spotty at best. I also love talk radio and one of the best things that I did was to get XM Radio. It gets it's signal from a satellite, so you can get clear signal anywhere across the country, even on top of the most remote mountain. I always thought that I wouldn't pay for radio when it's free otherwise. It's now one of my favorite things and I wouldn't give it up. Try looking on-line between XM & SIRIUS Satellite radio to make sure that your favorite people are on there lineup.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
Richard Martin

Talk radio is almost exclusivly on the AM broadcast band which goes from 520 to 1700 KHz range. The FM band goes from 87.5 to 108 Mhz. Notice the Kilohertz versus the Megahertz.

A VHF anntenna of the TV type you speak of will do nothing to improve AM reception...ie talk radio. It's not off just a little bit...it's off by approx. two orders of magnitude in frequency.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown
Talk radio is almost exclusivly on the AM broadcast band which goes from 520 to 1700 KHz range.
People still listen to AM radio?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
yes...AM is very far from dead. It's a HUGE market.

Coast to Coast with Art Bell, Mat Drudge, Glenn Beck.Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh etc all have listener audiences that FM stations would die for.

Besides the format differences the lower frequencies used by the AM band propagate much further than the VHF line of site FM broadcasts.

To improve distant reception of AM signals a loop antenna can be added to nearly any reciever. A loop (commercially available from many places) also helps to null out near by interference sources which often is the real cause of poor reception.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 PM

So much to think about--may be heading to Hendersonville after all. Media is our life. Interested in finding out about XM and Sirius on the net. I am aware of streamlink but I rarely take my computer to bed with me. And I definitely think cable is a must for HDTV. I have a loop antenna to put in back of the radio and it helps a little here in Florida but anything over 40 miles away isn't good. Only have one local talk station. I grew up with Chicago and St.Louis radio which was topnotch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina