Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation from central Florida to gentle four season climate, Asheville or Chattanooga possibilities, romantic allure, advantages versus disadvantages, no state income tax, high sales taxes, numerous dining options, tight job market

Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 17,624 times

Advertisements

I found this forum over the summer and it’s been invaluable in learning more about different areas, but since I’m rather shy with these things I’ve hesitated to post until now. But I could really use some advice.

I’ve wanted to leave Central FL and relocate to a gentle 4 season climate for almost 20 years now, and either fear or common sense has prevented me from acting before now. So I’ve either lost all my common sense or suddenly become brave because now I’m finally ready to make the leap.

For years I was certain that when I did finally make the move it would be to Asheville NC. I’ve been visiting there yearly for most of the past 20 years, and for me it has always been magical. I love the mountains, the culture and the Asheville attitude. I spent a couple of months there over the summer a year ago though, and came to see that it wasn’t exactly the nirvana I imagined. I found the traffic rather stressful, the housing overpriced, and could see many problems associated with an area that has perhaps grown too quickly.

I visited Chattanooga this past summer and liked it so much more than I had when I was there 15 years prior. I fell in love with the downtown and northshore areas, and during my week stay made up my mind that this area had most of what I’m looking for and it felt right. More than anything everyone I’ve met in Chattanooga has been so friendly! I’ve made two more short visits since summer which confirmed my good feelings for the area, and am now making plans to move in the very near future. I am having a difficult time in locating a good home to rent while I look for one to purchase though.

Asheville still holds somewhat of a romantic allure for me though, and I’m curious to hear from others who had considered both Chattanooga and Asheville or perhaps lived in both areas. Since I see this as likely being a final move for me I want to be sure I’ve carefully considered the advantages/disadvantages of both. I will be relocating my business and feel confident that I’ll be fine work-wise in either area, although Chattanooga has the advantage of having a larger population base. Any thoughts or advice for a single, not so young but definitely not yet old woman wanting a second chance in a new area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,627,220 times
secondchances,

My wife and I currently live in the Upstate of SC (about 45 min south of Asheville). We moved here from Chattanooga this year (having lived there for 2 years). Our family has been to Asheville on numerous occasions.

Chattanooga has really turned into a vibrant "city". Larger population than Asheville. Incredible downtown (as you know). Several pedestrian bridges over the Tennessee River. Very family oriented (Aquarium/the awesome Children's Museum/Riverwalk). Chattanooga also offers a few excellent dining options. Shopping/retail similar to Asheville (but Chattanooga has Publix ) Yes, the "Northshore" is wonderful with its excellent shops/restaurants and the new Greenlife Grocery. Mountainous backdrop (much like Asheville).

Chattanooga has a milder climate than Asheville - hot and quite humid in the summer - cool with very occasional snow in the winter. Public schools (with the exception of Signal Mountian and perhaps the Ooltewah area) are below average. Nationally renowned private schools (GPS, Baylor, McCallie) but extremely expensive. Tennessee has a statewide tobacco ban (workplaces, restaurants, etc) - yeah!

Chattanooga has no state income tax and no property taxes on cars. High sales taxes though (even on food). VW will soon begin to build its new North American plant there.

Asheville has a "vibe" to it like no other city in the Southeast. Very scenic. Numerous dining options. Of course, the Biltmore. Cooler climate with "true" four seasons. Some snow and not nearly as humid as Chattanooga.

Asheville has a very tight job market. Healthcare, tourism, and government are the main employers. Living expenses are considerably more: state taxes, property taxes (autos), higher gas prices, higher housing costs, etc. Not sure if NC has a tobacco ban.

If you're in healthcare (or a related field) and don't mind paying more for living expenses, I'd say Asheville *may* be the best bet. Really both cities are great places to live.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 AM

drfranklin,

Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I will assume that since you *were* in Chattanooga and moved from there it perhaps wasn't the place for you and your wife. I wasn't aware of the statewide tobacco ban in TN, but I see that as very positive!

I agree with you that Asheville does have a vibe unlike other cities, and no doubt that sort of intangible quality has been largely what I've been attracted to. But I wonder if the practical aspects of actually living and working there would diminish that attraction, and this is what I'm trying to figure out. If I were ready to retire and had a nice sized nestegg accumulated I don't think there would be a question for me: I would prefer the weather and the lifestyle that Asheville offers. But since neither are true for me I'm also trying to be practical.....well as practical as anyone can be who is willing to completely uproot and change their life midway through, ha!

I welcome hearing from anyone who has considered these same two areas and what they ultimately decided upon and why.

Thank you!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM

17,586 posts, read 39,292,963 times
Hi there secondchances. I haven't lived in Chattanooga so cannot offer a perspective on it (from what I have heard and seen in pix, it sounds like a really wonderful city that is really taking off!) I am, however, also from west central Florida (a native) and we also had visited Asheville fo several years and until this year had a second home there, so I will share my experience with you.

Basically, Asheville is a very beautiful place and it does have 4 distinct seasons which are lovely (although winter is too cold for me! lol) I found that there is some attitude from some of the locals toward Floridians, as the area is/has been growing and developing very rapidly and many blame outsiders, particularly Floridians for this; so be prepared for a bit of that. Overall, most folks are friendly, but I have to say I met many more transplants than locals.

This past year the glow really wore off for us; I love for a place to have a nice downtown, and had always loved Asheville's downtown, however there are a number of problems there - too much construction is causing all the neat funky businesses that we loved to close. There is also a growing population of "homeless" and outright bums that congregate under bridges and in doorways of businesses, panhandling passers-by. Don't get me wrong, I have much sympathy for those truly in need, but by far the majority were young, able-bodied "hippie" types who prefer a laid-back and stoned lifestyle.

Now if you are the type of person who doesn't care about these type things you may love Asheville; it has some great places to eat and buy food and of course the beautiful mountain scenery. We will always love that about Asheville. However, we have decided that right now Florida has more to offer us and we recently got a tremendous buy on a beautiful little 1950's rancher in Sarasota just two blocks from the bay. This city has it all for us right now.

If we were to get a place in/near the mountains again, we would definitely look into Chattanooga. From the things I read about it, it seems like it has an overall "friendlier" vibe, with a little more going on. I love the pix I have seen of it and hope to vacation there in the future.

I hope my perspective has helped. I am not trying to bash Asheville, I do love it, just not as much as I thought I would after spending time there.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Thank you gypsychic, your perspective has helped and I didn't think you were bashing Asheville in the least. I'm really wanting to separate the fantasy of a life in Asheville or anywhere for that matter, from the reality. There is so much that I love about Asheville, and always will be attracted to, but I know I'm not looking for a permanent vacation spot as much as I'm looking for a home--a place where I will be accepted and can become part of the community.

Thanks again for your thoughts and I'd love to hear more!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM

32 posts, read 102,537 times
My husband and I moved up to Asheville last year from south Florida. We had been visiting here for the last 10 years or so and fell in love with Asheville.
A couple weekends ago we visited Chattanooga. Beautiful city with all the activities you expect in a city. What struck me the most in reference to differences from Asheville to Chattanooga was that Chattanooga really was a city where I see Asheville as a large town. I myself prefer the smaller town feeling of Asheville. I walk around Asheville and see people I know. We live in east Asheville and have found everyone really friendly even after they find out we're from Florida! I love the mountains and weather. I found it easy to blend into the Asheville scene and lifestyle as opposed to Ft Lauderdale.
Chattanooga was beautiful and I really loved some of the neighborhoods but I prefer the smaller town vibe that I just didn't feel there.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,045,614 times
If climate matters, Asheville is cooler in the summer by around 5 degrees. Asheville is also much drier than Chattanooga.

Elevation:

Asheville - 2,134 feet above sea level.
Chattanooga - 685 feet.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,627,220 times
Just to clarify the climate of the Chattanooga area:

Chattanooga really has several microclimates surrounding the city. Signal Mountain (SM) - a town of about 8,000 - is 15 minutes from downtown Chattanooga to the northwest - sits at nearly 2,000 feet in elevation. Very affluent area with excellent schools. SM is always 5 or more degrees cooler than Chattanooga. When snow melts in Chattanooga, there will always be some remaining in SM. Lookout Mountain, TN (population of 2,000; southwest of Chattanooga) - has a similar climate - very affluent area as well.

Of course, Asheville has similar microclimates with wide-ranging elevations (some exceeding 6000 feet).

Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,045,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Just to clarify the climate of the Chattanooga area:

Chattanooga really has several microclimates surrounding the city. Signal Mountain (SM) - a town of about 8,000 - is 15 minutes from downtown Chattanooga to the northwest - sits at nearly 2,000 feet in elevation. Very affluent area with excellent schools. SM is always 5 or more degrees cooler than Chattanooga. When snow melts in Chattanooga, there will always be some remaining in SM. Lookout Mountain, TN (population of 2,000; southwest of Chattanooga) - has a similar climate - very affluent area as well.

Of course, Asheville has similar microclimates with wide-ranging elevations (some exceeding 6000 feet).
Yes, my original climate comments were about the cities themselves, not the surrounding metro area.

Historical climate summaries for other areas from the Southeast Regional Climate Center.

http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/his...istorical.html

Last edited by mm34b; 11-09-2008 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina