Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 23,700 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to Asheville, NC within the next year and a half. We are coming to visit the city in January to check it out. I was wondering what neighborhoods would be the best to investigate for buying a house? We want the city living element, so that we can walk pretty much wherever we need to go. We have a dog, so we're looking for a dog-friendly neighborhood. We are a young, outgoing, and friendly couple, and love coffee shops and book nooks, parks, and places to bike and jog. This will be our very first home, so our price range is $125,000-$200,000. I know this will probably narrow it down a bit, but any suggestions on neighborhood names would be so helpful! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 AM

53 posts, read 307,525 times
Unfortunately, there really isn't much in walkable neighborhoods that is within your price range. It all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice in regard to size, lot, and condition, though. You are probably going to want to focus on neighborhoods in North Asheville that are also south of Beaverdam Lake, or on areas which are closer to Haywood Street in West Asheville. The occasional inexpensive place will also come available in the Kenilworth area, so look there too.

By January and into Spring I predict that there may be more opening up in that range. Right now, you're looking at about an average of 9-1100 sq ft or less, with a lot size of less than .1-.2 acres for walkable places in that price range, and most of them will need updates to utilities as well as cosmetic or possibly structural. If you can make do with 2 bedrooms and one bath your choices will improve, but if you need more space than that, your options will be quite limited, unfortunately.

Good luck!!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 23,700 times
Thanks so much! We will be moving around August, so hopefully by then our price range might squeak upwards. This is our first home, so we will definitely need to make some sacrifices as to what our ideal home will have. We are quite excited about Asheville, and cannot wait to get settled into our new home!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,961 times
Based on what you have described, your best bet is West Asheville. Lots of other younger couples / families, and quite a few restaurants, stores, coffee shops, etc. in the downtown area of West Asheville. There's some naysayers out there that West Asheville is somehow the scary part of Asheville, but take it with a grain of salt. Just check out the neighborhoods yourself and see what you think - there's some really cute parts filled with very nice middle-income families.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM

184 posts, read 676,457 times
I second West Asheville!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 44,970 times
Default Asheville

You and your husband sound like interesting people. Stay away from Asheville, unless you want to spend the rest of your lives looking forward to watching the grass grow. Reading, did you say? The cab drivers in Manhattan are more literate than the college professors down here. Enjoy the arts? Dollywood is the cultural hub of this area.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM

32 posts, read 102,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blloyd View Post
You and your husband sound like interesting people. Stay away from Asheville, unless you want to spend the rest of your lives looking forward to watching the grass grow. Reading, did you say? The cab drivers in Manhattan are more literate than the college professors down here. Enjoy the arts? Dollywood is the cultural hub of this area.
Totally wrong.
I think you would love West Asheville.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM

291 posts, read 1,204,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleJJ View Post
Totally wrong.
I think you would love West Asheville.
Yes, totally wrong. Asheville is a wonderful, beautiful, unique city. We have lived here for 20 years but are moving next year because of the pollution

West Asheville is the only neighborhood in your price range that is close to town and has it's own little coffee shops, library, etc.

There is also North Asheville and the closest to town, withing walking distance is Montford and Charlotte St. area. Montford is probably not the best area to live in though, I personally wouldn't want to live there ~ and the Charlotte St. area probably has nothing in your price range.

West Asheville has plenty of older homes available and is a community of young and old with lots of activities just across the bridge from town.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blloyd View Post
Interesting...you've JUST joined this forum and already posted insults about Asheville in every single post.

Folks, we have a name for people that do this, so I would remind everyone to just ignore this poster.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Yes, totally wrong. Asheville is a wonderful, beautiful, unique city. We have lived here for 20 years but are moving next year because of the pollution
What a shame. Are you asthmatic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina