Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM

74 posts, read 185,862 times

Advertisements

Is this a possibility in Western NC? We love the mountains and want to stay relatively close to my family in Atlanta but it seems that there are no affordable towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 PM

122 posts, read 457,431 times
For $175K you could do very well in Rutherford County as long as you stayed out of the Lake Lure area.
We got a 2 or 3 bdr with 3.5 acres that is 2.5 miles from the highway and 5 miles from shopping for $79K. It is an older house, but we love it.
There is a good school here too. Thomas Jefferson Classical, a free public charter school. The high school is third in the nation or something like that. My son goes to the elementary and it is amazing.
As far as close to Atlanta, Forest City is right by 26 and not far at all from 85.
I can be in a city in an hour in three directions.
C'mon down!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,012,491 times
For $150 to $175 you can buy brand new less than an hour from Downtown Asheville in Johnson City, TN.....just a thought.....I'm from NC but live in TN now due to tax/cost of living/home price issues with NC

Good luck no matter where you go, this whole area is gorgeous.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM

283 posts, read 1,292,462 times
Depends on what you are looking to get with your $175K.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM

648 posts, read 2,983,581 times
Couple of nice places in Royal Pines (Arden) for <$175k right now. Great schools, close to Asheville, I-26 and the airport.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM

106 posts, read 399,334 times
In Asheville, you would have to buy an older home that's been remodeled. That's all $175000 would afford. Think "bungalow, cute, modest, etc". - More modern resale homes run about $235000 and up. New homes will be more. Rutherford County isn't in the mountains. You might as well buy in Charlotte, as there. By the way, you could do well in the Charlotte suburbs (Lake Norman area - Concord, Cornelius, Davidson, Moorseville etc for that price) for that price.

The Tennessee suggestion is intriguing.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill O'Blarney View Post
In Asheville, you would have to buy an older home that's been remodeled. That's all $175000 would afford. Think "bungalow, cute, modest, etc". - More modern resale homes run about $235000 and up. New homes will be more. Rutherford County isn't in the mountains. You might as well buy in Charlotte, as there. By the way, you could do well in the Charlotte suburbs (Lake Norman area - Concord, Cornelius, Davidson, Moorseville etc for that price) for that price.

The Tennessee suggestion is intriguing.
Gill, sorry to disagree - but the only thing you're buying in Davidson or Cornelius under $200,000 is a townhouse. It's a close call for all the others you mentioned too - except for Concord, which still has some affordable neighborhoods.

Rutherford County may not be in the mountains but it's a nice area with affordable homes and easy access to the mountains.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-06-2008 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM

No problem with disagreement. - But have you checked Glenridge, Heritage Green, and Cedarfield subdivisions? I'm househunting at the moment, so I'm very familiar with the area, and often see buys in those particular subdivisions at the prices I mentioned. True that Concord is the least expensive area, since it's farther from the lake and all of the development close to the lake.

Although I live in Asheville and like it very much, I'm househunting in the Charlotte suburbs for the simple reason that prices are humongously cheaper there. A $150000 to $175000 home is comparable to what a $250000 to $350000 home would be in Asheville. - And, "as the crow flies", it's only about 100 miles from Asheville.

Last edited by Gill O'Blarney; 10-06-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill O'Blarney View Post
No problem with disagreement. - But have you checked Glenridge, Heritage Green, and Cedarfield subdivisions? I'm househunting at the moment, so I'm very familiar with the area, and often see buys in those particular subdivisions at the prices I mentioned. True that Concord is the least expensive area, since it's farther from the lake and all of the development close to the lake.
Well, we are going off topic since this IS the Western Carolina forum. And, I don't think the op wants to live that far away from the mountains. But for anyone else wanting this kind of info I will say again - you are not getting in Davidson under $200,000. Cornelius does have a small handful of places under $200,000 like in Glenridge and Heritage Green, but most of the homes in those neighborhoods are well into the $200's. As for Cedarfield, it is in Huntersville, which is a nice enough place to live for sure (though not mentioned on your original list) but again, too far from the mountains I'm sure for the OP to be happy with

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Charlotte is in Western North Carolina. But I take the point that the original poster was inquiring about the mountains. I won't belabor the point, but you just don't know the real estate market in the Charlotte suburbs. - And Huntersville is just south of Cornelius, for anyone who is interested.

The only time I visited Rutherford was to mail an express mail overnight package to Europe. Rutherfordton is a small town and doesn't sport any of the amenities of a city,- shopping-wise or recreation-wise. But to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina