Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times

Advertisements

At the risk of the link reading like a puff piece: the linked art from the free Smoky Mtn News, is worth the 5 min read, imo. It is a flattering but realistic assessment of the town of Waynesville development over the past decade plus, under the leadership of the recently retired town manager, Lee Galloway.

I met & got involved with Mr. Galloway during our area/HOA water debacle a few years ago, when the state EPA basically forced we 30+ homeowners to 'leave' our decades long, quality community well system and go to a town supplied water service. He was instrumental in helping us obtain a grant from the state, and helped us through the bureaucratic and very expensive nightmare. He may be the most professional and clear thinking 'public official' I have ever met/worked with...I know him only professionally, not personally. And, he is not a kudos or accolade seeker, and is now retired.

NEway, the art. is a good if glowing story on Galloway, as town mgr, the Town of Waynesville and why it has become 'successful', and the nature of small towns in western NC.

Yes, I have lived 'here' for nearly 11 years, and I have seen its 'development', but I am not pumping anyone interested, to 'move here'. Just thought it was a good read on what quality leadership, and cooperation among the factions and the 'politicos' of any town can do to make things better over the long run. Worth the 5 min read. Apology for the long post...
BR, mD

How Galloway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
You are lucky to have had him and lucky that he managed to hang on.

Where I live, the good ole boy network is alive and well. Too many people are hired here because of who they know, not because they are best for the job - from the school system to the top. (The school system has been designated as a failing system by the federal gov't.)

We elected a new police chief that was actually from this area, but because he wasn't part of the "network" and had the audacity to want to overhaul the police department and raise standards, he had to rely on newcomers to get elected. The locals wanted to re-elect a former chief who had presided over a department that was wracked with scandals.

I am curious about the community well. Why would NC have a problem with that? Are community wells no longer allowed?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM

138 posts, read 232,575 times
MotorDavid- Could you pleasee recommend an active community with amentities in the Asheville area? We are not golfers however, would love a community to meet new people.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,803 times
Thanks for posting that link! My husband and I are moving to Waynesville in a few months from coastal NC. It was interesting to find out some of the reasons for Waynesville being such a neat town. I know we are going to love it and be really happy there!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 PM

162 posts, read 388,890 times
Nice link MotorDavid
I truly enjoyed it! My husband is waiting impatiently to hear about a job he applied for in Waynesville and articles such as this help affirm our belief that the Waynesville/Asheville area was a good choice for us.

Thank you!

Last edited by SoManyPlaces; 09-18-2012 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Cool article. I doubt I will ever move to Waynesville (looking into an academic job at Western Carolina-they rarely seem to work out), but it is good to see an article about understated leadership. We hear so much braying from the loud mouths, it is nice to see a competent, low key person recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina