Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 AM

371 posts, read 1,363,065 times

Advertisements

Tell me all you know about Asheville (and surrounding area) and your impressions of it.

We are a professional couple with two young children - so schools will matter. Other than that, we want community, culture, outdoor'siness (yeah, I made that up ), and a great neighborhood that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Tell me about the Asheville area.

Forgot to add: we are a bit weary of developments, so we would prefer non-development communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM

165 posts, read 884,754 times
You'll get lots of good feedback on your question....

My choice was Madison County, 15 miles or so north of Asheville....I like the north side of Asheville in General and the towns of Weaverville, Mars Hill and Marshall.

Close but (still) ruralish. (made that up too.)

Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,009,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed&Betty View Post
You'll get lots of good feedback on your question....

My choice was Madison County, 15 miles or so north of Asheville....I like the north side of Asheville in General and the towns of Weaverville, Mars Hill and Marshall.

Close but (still) ruralish. (made that up too.)
I'll second that recommendation!!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM

474 posts, read 2,193,794 times
There is a wealth of information that has been discussed before about Asheville in the NC forum if you do a search for the thread(s).

Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,623,889 times
Agree with Annie,just back track a little.Its all covered..I agree with the other posters though,you will get more bang for the buck OUTSIDE of Asheville.Have looked at real estate right in Asheville and have been less then thrilled with what $$ buys

Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM

371 posts, read 1,363,065 times
Okay, so I'm back tracking and it all sounds wonderful. The thing that concerns me is the issue with the job market. My husband as of right now works from home on a virtual company, so that's not an issue at the moment, but if he lost that job - I'm wondering how graphic artist and 3D animation jobs are doing down there? Also (and more importantly for me - since hubby can always get another virtual job) is the issue of jobs in the field of clinical psychology (hospitals, mental health clinics, private practices, etc as well as academic positions teaching psych). Anyone know about jobs in this area?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM

958 posts, read 2,623,202 times
Graphic design jobs are few and far between here, unfortunately. I work for a software company and those jobs are very slim too, this is not a tech hotbed at all. Jobs are hard to find (especially decent paying ones) in anything but the service/medical/tourism fields.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:59 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,910,968 times
Asheville is a great area. Here's another vote for Madison County.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM

You would have to do further research for specific jobs besides this site,unless someone who frequents here happens to do virutal or 3d animation,not a huge field -check the job directory for the list of clinical psych's or the hospital--people who hire such are not searching here for new employees(I'm a psych nurse by profession)fact is,,jobs are not plentiful in Asheville,,,,jobs are a major issue in Asheville,people who visit often want to move to Asheville,,,unless you can handle min pay scale,it aint boom town.I dont think anyone who lives there will give you the facts and have you equate it "sounds wonderful" and thats that--it has serious drawbacks for people looking to make a living..It has a big new growing population of retirees with some bucks. Others are not that lucky.We are there every few months checking things out...we love it.but.that doesnt pay the rent

Last edited by nanannie; 02-01-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Tell me all you know about Asheville (and surrounding area) and your impressions of it.

Tell me about the Asheville area.
What I have learned and I do love about the south,certainly in Asheville, is the manners and simple respect,,,please and thanks go a long way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina