Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:50 AM

5,464 posts, read 6,074,934 times

Advertisements

I know some of you live up here in WNC full time, so it may not apply.

We have lived here full time, but mostly we split summers and winters. Here in the summer (mostly) and lowlands in the winter (mostly).

This place, WNC, is like a magic elixir to us and our animals. Everyone seems to relax/rejuvenate/recharge once they reach this place. Mt air, scenery, the people, the variety of things to do, etc. Even the dogs love it here, they actually hide on the back porch or garage if they see us carrying travel bags out. They sense we are preparing to leave and they don't want to get dragged into the car. Just the opposite when we leave the lowland house. All we have to do is open the car door and say:, "WANNA GO TO THE MTS?" and they jump in the backseat.

All of our friends and relatives just walk in, grab a beer, wine or coffee and slide into a rocker on the deck to just sit and stare at the mts. CALM, RELAXED and CAREFREE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 16,121 times
Yeah its probably the opposite for me as a full timer. It feels like non-stop work maintaining a place in the mountains in the middle of a forest lol. I feel like I am always raking leaves and trying to maintain our steep gravel roads, fixing things around the house (cause getting a contractor to ever show up is impossible). I actually love going down to Florida (even as busy as it can get) to visit my daughter so I can relax there lol.

Kidding aside, whenever I force myself to stop and take a deep breath, you are right its pretty special out here. I need to do that more often. Our place is pretty private huge back deck looking down the mountain. Sometimes I take it for granted and don't appreciate it enough.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:54 AM

@Kjun09
I know what you mean about getting a contractor to show up. We went through 5 electrician's promising to show and finally found one that was recommended by a neighbor. He had connections to the woman's mother and was a little "skittish" about committing to the job until we name dropped, then he was there the next day and has proven to be very reliable.
Same issues with a plumber, after name dropping he showed up the same day to scope the work and came back two days later with the supplies he needed to complete the job.
Our house, built in the early 90s, always needs lots of work, but the pace and frequency of my DIY labor is less intense than any other house we've owned. Most carpentry work is a piece of cake for me, but major plumbing and electrical is best reserved for the experts.

Blood pressure issues, heart rate, general demeanor/personality just melt away and settle down once I'm up here in WNC.

We lived here full time for 20 months between selling our last flatland home and building another. I did begin to take it for granted, but now that we are back on the seasonal path, it's all appreciated again.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:42 AM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
We love it here - a slice of paradise. If you like nature, I have little doubt it’s one of the best places in America to live.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 AM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjun09 View Post
Yeah its probably the opposite for me as a full timer. It feels like non-stop work maintaining a place in the mountains in the middle of a forest lol. I feel like I am always raking leaves and trying to maintain our steep gravel roads, fixing things around the house (cause getting a contractor to ever show up is impossible). I actually love going down to Florida (even as busy as it can get) to visit my daughter so I can relax there lol.

Kidding aside, whenever I force myself to stop and take a deep breath, you are right its pretty special out here. I need to do that more often. Our place is pretty private huge back deck looking down the mountain. Sometimes I take it for granted and don't appreciate it enough.
We haven’t had an issue with getting plumbers, electricians, contractors, etc. Our neighbors have been invaluable in recommending dependable tradespeople, All our yard work is included in our POA. The POA fees are worth the piece of mind of not having to worry about the yard.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 16,121 times
The challenge for us with contractors is probably our location and just limited availability. We've asked around and its always hit or miss. The "established" companies are in demand so its hard to get an appointment slot if you need something quick. You have to look elsewhere and it seems so many people want to stick a magnet on their truck and call themselves a contractor. Alot of them just literally do not show up or return calls. So I just try and do most of the work when I can.

We are actually considering the part time idea. My youngest graduates HS next month and then will be off to college. I work remote and can work anywhere. We are toying with the idea of getting a place in Florida and splitting the year up.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
The contractor thing has been one of my biggest pet peeves. Girlfriend lives in Madison County just a mile or so from the Buncombe County line.

It was hell finding a plumber to do some underslab work in an unfinished basement. Gravel was supposed to go in this weekend - we rented a skidsteer, but the quarry didn't have three-quarter inch gravel - fortunately, we were able to cancel the reservation.

We've had several contractors look at building a deck. Several didn't seem to want the job.

Electricians have been much more responsive.

Overall, I love the area. No place is perfect, but I'd much rather live in WNC than anywhere else I've lived.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:03 PM

2,499 posts, read 1,877,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I know some of you live up here in WNC full time, so it may not apply.

We have lived here full time, but mostly we split summers and winters. Here in the summer (mostly) and lowlands in the winter (mostly).

This place, WNC, is like a magic elixir to us and our animals. Everyone seems to relax/rejuvenate/recharge once they reach this place. Mt air, scenery, the people, the variety of things to do, etc. Even the dogs love it here, they actually hide on the back porch or garage if they see us carrying travel bags out. They sense we are preparing to leave and they don't want to get dragged into the car. Just the opposite when we leave the lowland house. All we have to do is open the car door and say:, "WANNA GO TO THE MTS?" and they jump in the backseat.

All of our friends and relatives just walk in, grab a beer, wine or coffee and slide into a rocker on the deck to just sit and stare at the mts. CALM, RELAXED and CAREFREE!
I agree completely! We spent six summers in WNC (4 months each time) and it was paradise. Weather was perfect and there was so much to do (just looking at the mountains was enough to lower my blood pressure 20 points...).

Old 05-02-2024, 05:18 PM

Take today for instance, beeeautifulllll day, great sunshine, high 60s low 70s. We hiked down the side of Beech Mt to our favorite ramp patch. We collected enough ramps for an Alfredo /Ramp pasta sauce. Spent over an hour washing the dirt off the ramps and playing with the dog in the hose.

Nothing special, Just another great day in WNC. On second thought, I guess that makes it extra special!

Old 05-02-2024, 08:11 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,877,469 times
I've never felt more peaceful and at home than when I was in western NC.

I need to find a way to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: