Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 11,419 times

Advertisements

Considering a job offer in Rutherford College, NC. Options to live I see are Lenoir/Morgantown, Hickory, Conover and Statesville. Any pros/cons I should consider for each? Brother lives in Charlotte so being farther east is definitely an option.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 09:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rch_naper View Post
Considering a job offer in Rutherford College, NC.
Brother lives in Charlotte so being farther east is definitely an option.
Any pros/cons I should consider ??
Unless you're planning to buy anytime soon...
the the appeal of the immediate neighborhood and easy access to the campus matter most (walking even). So start there. In Rutherford.
If alone, just find a room to rent until YOU can decide for YOURself about which wide spot in which roads the best mix of everything else YOU want.

hth

Old 01-20-2024, 11:02 AM

Thanks. Moving with a family of 4 so high schools are important.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:37 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
For most favorable city of the group along with a better high school, I would suggest Statesville. South Iredell High School is ranked #77 in NC and has a national ranking also.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-14512

Old 01-20-2024, 05:21 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
This is an excellent site for school information: https://ncreports.ondemand.sas.com/src/

If you are willing to commute further than me, Mooresville would be a great choice.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:22 AM

Default Denver, NC?

What about Denver, NC? My brother tells me it’s closer to the Charlotte metro area and 45 mins from the job

Old 01-21-2024, 06:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Denver is the up and coming side of the lake. (lake Norman) It's been up and coming for the past 40 years. Development is slower compared to the east side of the lake (Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Etc.)
If you end up going to the East side of the lake, there are basically two roads.. 150 on the northside and 73 on the dam side. Both traffic nightmares somewhat dependent upon the hour.
you will be going in the opposite direction for work, so Denver is a viable alternative.

If it were me, i'd choose north of I-40 in the triangle between Morganton, Lenoir and Hickory. BUT, your needs are what is important. Search the area a bit, get comfy with it, then decide. Renting is not a bad thing while you get to know an area and the school systems for your children. I always think a school system is just as good as your child makes it.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:06 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
A deeper dive found Patton H.S. on the south side of Morganton is A-rated.

Morganton is just 15 minutes from work so given that parameter along with an A-rated school it seems a good contender. While not as sizable as Statesville or Hickory the town has a pretty good mix of stores and services along with a thriving downtown.

Morganton also has close proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains, at just twenty to thirty minutes to the north along US321 toward Blowing Rock.

https://phs.burke.k12.nc.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina