Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 307,449 times

Advertisements

Tips? I have tried:
Asking them outright
Calling the fire department

Asking outright, they just nod their heads okay, okay. Calling the fire department, I watched the fire Marshall and my neighbor merrily yukking it up while my kids and I choked on fumes from burnt plastic that had blown in the windows of our home. They burn garbage in the fireplace during the winter, and in the yard all summer. Half the time my kids can't play outside because the smoke gets too toxic, what with all the plastic and g** knows what else. At least in the winter we can close our windows, you know? My chest hurts, I have a headache, and I cannot take another summer of this. HELP?

eta: We live inside the city limits, and burning ordinances say we are in our right to complain, because it's illegal to burn anywhere there is trash pickup available. How to get that enforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
If calling the normal number for the FD, and nothing is done, then you need to escalate this issue to the Fire Chief, and if that fails, the city/town manager, elected city officials.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 PM

63 posts, read 356,878 times
If you're in Asheville or Buncombe County, contact Kevin Lance (kevin.lance@buncombecounty.org) of the WNC Regional Air Quality Agency. He's in charge of enforcement for the Agency, which...

[quoting from their website] "...has authority over all outdoor open burning in Buncombe County. The Agency has a burning inspector that inspects land clearing for burning and dust control at construction sites. The Agency has an inspector on call 24-hrs. a days for burning, odor, dust, and industrial complaints. ..."

I have spoken to Kevin on several occasions in dealing with a neighbor of mine who burns trash sometimes. Kevin has a big territory to cover, but if you are vigilant and stick with your efforts, he will do his best to respond and help you get this situation resolved. At least that's been my impression from my interactions with him. He took action in response to my complaint and that reduced my neighbor's trash burning significantly (though I think he still does it occasionally).

If that option isn't practical for you, and going up the ladder at the Fire Department isn't effective, you could always consult an attorney about legal recourse. It may be that a firmly-worded letter from an attorney will convince them to stop.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 AM

76 posts, read 326,417 times
One thing you may try, if they are like my neighbor, is wait till a burn ban is on. Call the FD and watch the tickets fly. If it stays this hot and dry for much longer they will put the ban back in place. Once they get a ticket I bet the size of the fire drops.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaz View Post
One thing you may try, if they are like my neighbor, is wait till a burn ban is on. Call the FD and watch the tickets fly. If it stays this hot and dry for much longer they will put the ban back in place. Once they get a ticket I bet the size of the fire drops.
Call the Fire Marshall of the county, or call NC State Forest Service, these are the people that enforce burning bans with tickets. FD does not, they will ask the person to put it out, and if they refuse, the will then call for Fire Marshall or Forest Service, or Law enforcement and then put it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina