Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2024, 11:42 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
That bit of realism is starting to sink in. (I hate sugarcoating, so thanks.) That just means that I'm going to have to make "touristy" a less important. Again, this is helping more than you know and what I had hoped to gain from posting here.
We don’t mind tourists, but this was still a surprise for us. The number during leaf season and summer can be overwhelming at times. We had visited for extended periods for many years, but still the number of tourists and seasonal residents has been an eye-opener. We have about 350 homes in our development and I would say about 40% are seasonal residents; roughly 90% are from outside of NC. We live between Hendersonville and Brevard. We see many FL tags in this area of WNC. Don’t get me wrong, we still love it here. It’s a good fit for us, but it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:51 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
I'm open to Ashe and Avery counties but there hasn't been a single (available) property there that I liked. Watauga County can be liberal in places but, I haven't found any properties there that I liked either.

I just know I'm NOT moving from Minneapolis, MN to Minneapolis, NC! LOL

The northern counties appeal to me because they have more of a winter, even if some areas get a little too much snow. If I told you how much, and how large of an area, I've had to shovel for the last 10 years, you'd understand! My shoveling days are over!

I definitely do hate heat and humidity more than any other climate. But, even in East TN, humidity is a thing and it doesn't vary all that much from one area to another so I can't let that be a limiting factor. I'm a homebody in the summer months and A/C is a great thing. Instead, I'm looking more at how much winter weather there is in different areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
OP...do yourself a huge favor and come across to the north/west side of the mountains. Humidity is a lot lower...Carolina summers can get oppressive, especially coming from the northland as you are.

Explore Northeast Tennessee.....same delights as western Carolina, but lower humidity...and NO State Income Tax. Saves you several percent of your retirement income right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'm open to Ashe and Avery counties but there hasn't been a single (available) property there that I liked. Watauga County can be liberal in places but, I haven't found any properties there that I liked either.

I just know I'm NOT moving from Minneapolis, MN to Minneapolis, NC! LOL

The northern counties appeal to me because they have more of a winter, even if some areas get a little too much snow. If I told you how much, and how large of an area, I've had to shovel for the last 10 years, you'd understand! My shoveling days are over!

I definitely do hate heat and humidity more than any other climate. But, even in East TN, humidity is a thing and it doesn't vary all that much from one area to another so I can't let that be a limiting factor. I'm a homebody in the summer months and A/C is a great thing. Instead, I'm looking more at how much winter weather there is in different areas.
NC, as a whole, is not as conservative as TN. With that said, you can find conservative areas in rural areas of WNC.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:06 PM

The only issue I have with tourists, personally, is the littering situation, especially when they camp and hike in rural areas. I actually love meeting and chatting with tourists. The extra traffic they create can be frustrating but there are workarounds for that with back roads and planning your errands around "rush hours" when possible. It's more that I don't want to live on a tourist route. A tourist area is fine.

Still, I can't imagine how much frustration and "getting used to" this must be for actual residents. It's the price you have to pay for living in an area that's well known for being absolutely gorgeous.

Personally, I have my flaws. I post far too much because I enjoy chatting with people and learning from them. Research is far too much fun for me so I'm overly thorough, right down to the smallest details. Online, that can come across as obsessed, stressed or wildly worried! I get that, but I'm really NOT! Every single one of you have made this a real joy for me! But, for my flaws, I'm good at readjusting my expectations once I get the facts. For example, tourism, heat and humidity, and small town politics aren't big factors for me anymore. Cities and their proximities still are, but not in the rural areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We don’t mind tourists, but this was still a surprise for us. The number during leaf season and summer can be overwhelming at times. We had visited for extended periods for many years, but still the number of tourists and seasonal residents has been an eye-opener. We have about 350 homes in our development and I would say about 40% are seasonal residents; roughly 90% are from outside of NC. We live between Hendersonville and Brevard. We see many FL tags in this area of WNC. Don’t get me wrong, we still love it here. It’s a good fit for us, but it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
NC, as a whole, is not as conservative as TN. With that said, you can find conservative areas in rural areas of WNC.
That's where I've adjusted my mindset. It's why I didn't originally consider NC in the first place. But, political mindsets aren't as militant in NC as they are in other states, regardless of being liberal or conservative. Folks have their beliefs and live by them but the "live and let live" attitude seems to be more prevalent and I like that. I can live with that.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'd strongly urge you to reconsider that. Burnsville is also 35 miles from Asheville so I guess its out? There's really no reason for that. There's no way urban sprawl from Asheville is going to ever go that far.
Thanks, Owen. I'm learning that that seems to be the case. Please understand, as I said, I was only going by my own experiences. As another poster mentioned, that might not be the case in NC but, here in Minneapolis, 35 miles outside the city is the same as being right in the city.

Still, I'm as allergic to cities as it gets. I'm a hundred times more comfortable in a holler than a city. Cities, to me, are for emergencies and Costcos. That's it.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:17 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Quote:
This is a scenic area, but I would also rule it out for you as this area has a fairly significant liberal population, as it is relatively close to WCU.

I'm guessing if the OP lived happily in Knoxville he can tolerate being around some liberals.

As for wanting a year round community, then I'll recommend Waynesville over Maggie Valley. Bonus the topography is not conducive to sprawl. I wouldn't rule out Sylva but you'll have a chance to visit and judge for yourself. Another town that hasn't been mentioned is Newland. I get the impression it has more of a working class vibe.

West Jefferson, perhaps. One thing to remember is the mountains slant to the northeast. So you can be pretty far east and still be in the higher elevations.

Last edited by Lizap; 01-04-2024 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Deleted inflammatory political comment

Old 01-04-2024, 12:19 PM

The folks here have succeeded in helping me stay more open-minded. I live in Uptown, myself. I was here for the riots and so much more. Nothing will ever change my mind about living in another city again. That's why the thought of being remotely close to a city is almost equally as unappealing. But, you (and others here) are right. North Carolina is NOT Minnesota. Asheville is NOT Minneapolis. To not be open to understanding that would mean that I've become jaded, resentful, and bitter. I choose not to be. I'm not too proud to see my faults, admit them, and change them, so thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Understand, but please make sure you're doing an apples to apples comparison.

I spent almost 10 years in Minnesota living in the St. Cloud Area, Uptown in Minneapolis, and Mankato (briefly.)

Asheville is far more comparable to Duluth or Rochester from a size perspective and much more comparable to Duluth from a remotenes perspective.

In that, 20 miles outside of Asheville especially off the I40 corridor, it's about as remote as you're going to get.

It isn't like being in Minneapolis and you drive 35 miles and you're in Albertville and then a little further up and you're in St. Cloud.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:25 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
It's the short term rentals that concerned me the most, especially in the Little Switzerland and Spruce Pines area. In your area, how much farther do you have to travel for supplies during the off-season when businesses are closed?
From the home I posted on the back side of Beech mt,
This one:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...02249295_zpid/

it's 30+ minutes into Banner Elk for shopping and about the same for Boone shopping.

The good part about that home is not much tourist traffic because it's on the less accessible side of all the touristy ski and shopping attractions.

I love the Sparta area over by Western Carolina University too. The more liberal crowd doesn't effect me much because I don't have much business in towns other than shopping and neighbors keep to their own business mostly.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
From the home I posted on the back side of Beech mt,
This one:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...02249295_zpid/

it's 30+ minutes into Banner Elk for shopping and about the same for Boone shopping.

The good part about that home is not much tourist traffic because it's on the less accessible side of all the touristy ski and shopping attractions.

I love the Sparta area over by Western Carolina University too. The more liberal crowd doesn't effect me much because I don't have much business in towns other than shopping and neighbors keep to their own business mostly.
Sparta is not near WCU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina