Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 05:16 PM

680 posts, read 498,183 times

Advertisements

I'm in the Triad, and planning a day trip to check out Polk County sometime in the next two weeks. I've passed through the area several times, but never stopped to spend any time there.

These are the things I definitely want to do.

1. Visit the Saluda Depot and Museum

2. Pace General Store

3. Lunch somewhere

4. Pearson's Falls

5. Tryon ( Nina Simone Plaza, Mountain Trail Soap Company)

6. Visit a Winery

Two questions. 1) do you think I can do all of these things within a 7 hour window ? 2) What places would you recommend for lunch in either Saluda or Tryon? I've marked down the Azalea Bistro, The Purple Onion, and Marengo Tapas, and the Rural Seed in Columbus. Opinions on those or any others? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 06:50 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
I'm in the Triad, and planning a day trip to check out Polk County sometime in the next two weeks. I've passed through the area several times, but never stopped to spend any time there.

These are the things I definitely want to do.

1. Visit the Saluda Depot and Museum

2. Pace General Store

3. Lunch somewhere

4. Pearson's Falls

5. Tryon ( Nina Simone Plaza, Mountain Trail Soap Company)

6. Visit a Winery

Two questions. 1) do you think I can do all of these things within a 7 hour window ? 2) What places would you recommend for lunch in either Saluda or Tryon? I've marked down the Azalea Bistro, The Purple Onion, and Marengo Tapas, and the Rural Seed in Columbus. Opinions on those or any others? Thanks.
We've eaten at the Purple Onion; it is good. There are a number of wineries, near Saluda, in Henderson county. Point Lookout has the best views, IMO. The wines at all are about the same, IMO.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:56 PM

29 posts, read 16,170 times
Two questions. 1) do you think I can do all of these things within a 7 hour window ?

so it's what...about a 2.5- 3 hour drive each way for you to get that area?
leaves little time to do all that in a 7 hour window, imo.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:23 AM

644 posts, read 671,989 times
Even not including travel time, you are in for a rushed day. Yes you can eat in Saluda, then go to Pearson's Falls but do you want to shovel your food in or enjoy the meal and perhaps sit on a patio and people watch a bit? And at Pearson's, it's one trail that you can travel up and back probably in 30 minutes or less but that means you are not stopping to look at any of the surroundings, the wild flowers, the birds, the different leaves on trees (the biggest leaves I've seen in my life are at Pearson's) or taking the time to ask questions of the attendant who always has interesting information to share. Pace General is another place you can linger and look or quickly rush through but then why stop there? Go to a winery and throw back a glass then head to Tryon and rush through there? Don't forget there is some travel time between each and you will still be in tourist season so...traffic and the little road to Pearson's is gravel and slow. Purple Onion is good for lunch as is Azalea but check your days for any restaurant - they vary. I'd try limiting your adventure a bit.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We've eaten at the Purple Onion; it is good. There are a number of wineries, near Saluda, in Henderson county. Point Lookout has the best views, IMO. The wines at all are about the same, IMO.
I've researched a bit on Point Lookout, and the views do look nice.. but I'm trying to limit this day trip to just Polk County. Will perhaps check out Point Lookout at some point later this year. Perhaps in October when the leaves change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainlover View Post
Two questions. 1) do you think I can do all of these things within a 7 hour window ?

so it's what...about a 2.5- 3 hour drive each way for you to get that area?
leaves little time to do all that in a 7 hour window, imo.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I hope to arrive in the area by 11 and I know the wineries close at 6.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Even not including travel time, you are in for a rushed day. Yes you can eat in Saluda, then go to Pearson's Falls but do you want to shovel your food in or enjoy the meal and perhaps sit on a patio and people watch a bit? And at Pearson's, it's one trail that you can travel up and back probably in 30 minutes or less but that means you are not stopping to look at any of the surroundings, the wild flowers, the birds, the different leaves on trees (the biggest leaves I've seen in my life are at Pearson's) or taking the time to ask questions of the attendant who always has interesting information to share. Pace General is another place you can linger and look or quickly rush through but then why stop there? Go to a winery and throw back a glass then head to Tryon and rush through there? Don't forget there is some travel time between each and you will still be in tourist season so...traffic and the little road to Pearson's is gravel and slow. Purple Onion is good for lunch as is Azalea but check your days for any restaurant - they vary. I'd try limiting your adventure a bit.

Thank you for the response. It is still a fluid situation. Could do dinner instead of lunch, could leave off the winery all together.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:47 PM

Trip had to be rescheduled, and decided on the last weekend in October. Figured that would be a good time to go with peak or close to peak fall foliage.

Where are some good spots/picnic areas/parks that you can just pull up with some lawn chairs and sit for awhile? Like the pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Polk County Day Trip (And Lunch Recommendations)-wine.jpeg  

Old 09-29-2023, 08:30 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Trip had to be rescheduled, and decided on the last weekend in October. Figured that would be a good time to go with peak or close to peak fall foliage.

Where are some good spots/picnic areas/parks that you can just pull up with some lawn chairs and sit for awhile? Like the pic attached.
This will be an excellent time to visit. Fall foliage color should be near peak. I highly recommend Point Lookout, Burntshirt, or Marked Tree Vineyards. They all have nice sitting areas with good to excellent views.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:04 PM

Visited Polk this past weekend and had a enjoyable time. Took the Green River Cove Road up to Saluda.Had a nice lunch on the patio at the Purple Onion. Explored downtown Tryon. Did some shopping at Mountain Trail Soap and Wild Petunias, visited the Coffeehouse, and spent time at the Nina Simone Plaza.

Pearson's Falls was tremendous... didn't get a chance to check out the Saluda Museum

I would assume in the month of October, both towns are usually busy. The 80 degree weather this past weekend really had it crowded, especially Saluda. I was telling my friend that Saluda and Tryon get all of the press, I wonder if Columbus feels a little left out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This will be an excellent time to visit. Fall foliage color should be near peak. I highly recommend Point Lookout, Burntshirt, or Marked Tree Vineyards. They all have nice sitting areas with good to excellent views.
Chose Burntshirt over St Paul's, turned into the driveway and saw all the cars and people and I thought about just skipping it and going around the corner to St Paul's. Decided to stay, had an enjoyable time out on the patio. I told my companion about the views at Pt Lookout and she wanted to go up there and do a drive through. It was definitely beautiful up there, and we will return hopefully next year to enjoy the winery.

Last edited by Mr BLT; 11-02-2023 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina