Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 09:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are traveling to Hendersonville for 5 days in October. Please tell me the best things to see and do. Best hikes, trails, museums, places to eat, and anything else to see.

Thank you for all recommendations!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 10:30 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My friend and I are traveling to Hendersonville for 5 days in October. Please tell me the best things to see and do. Best hikes, trails, museums, places to eat, and anything else to see.

Thank you for all recommendations!!
Hikes: Glassy Mtn. (near Carl Sandburg house); Dupont State Forest (Triple Falls); Jump Off Rock (short hikes)
Museums: Western North Carolina Air Museum (near Hendersonville airport), Hendersonville Aquarium
Restaurants: Brandy’s (upscale dining), Postero (upscale, Continental), Mezzaluna (Italian), Champa (Thai), Umi (Japanese), Flat Rock Wood Room (Bar-b-que), West First (Pizza, pasta, salads), Indian Aroma Bistro, Sol Y Luna (Mexican), Seasons at Highland Lake (extensive Sunday brunch), Arabella (casual breakfast/brunch)
Other: Hendersonville - Elijah Gem Mine, Pinball Museum, Jump Off Rock (amazing mountain views), Carl Sandburg house and grounds (Flat Rock), multiple vineyards/wineries, Sierra Nevada Brewery (near Hendersonville), Flat Rock Playhouse, downtown shopping, drive east of interstate to view apple orchards. Lake Lure - boat tour, Chimney Rock State Park

Time permitting, it's worth the short (30 min.) drive to Brevard (another beautiful mountain town). Hiking and waterfalls in Pisgah National Forest are near there.

I hope you all will be here during fall foliage season. The peak here is usually not until the third or fourth week in October (sometimes even early November) Fall is a great time to visit.

Last edited by Lizap; 08-12-2023 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-13-2023, 03:13 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Hendersonville's very close to the Biltmore Mansion, which is the most popular attraction in the area. It would be a shame to be so close & miss that. It might be decorated for the Holidays by October, & I've heard that is spectacular.

I'm in the area now (neighboring Brevard), & already bought my tickets for Biltmore next week..it's just South of Asheville, close to H'Ville so not a lot of driving.

I've seen waterfalls, but the ones in this area are of a larger scale than I'm used to seeing in N. Georgia. High Falls in the Dupont Forrest is 1 of 4 along the same hiking trail, & is the highest. Its ~.75 mile walk from the parking area...all free. Parking on the weekends is tough, so try to see waterfalls during the week. That can be 1 hr to see just High Falls, or 3 hours if you want to see all 4. High Falls is a must see imho, but I passed on the rest. The pics you see on the internet do not do the waterfalls justice at all. They are much larger in scale than they appear online.

Driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway is very scenic, & is worth an hour or two....especially in October.

There's lots of breweries here, so that is a good rainy day, or weekend activity. I'm in Brevard, so I went to see Oskar Blues Brewery, but was unimpressed, so I went to Ecusta Brewery instead ~1 mile away, & enjoyed that, even though I'm not a big beer fan. The scene on the weekends is fun to watch...hikers, bikers, mountain bikers, kayakers, all mixed in together in a fun environment. Families too, but Ecusta Brewery has 2 areas for 21+ only....1 inside, 1 outside on a terraced deck....nice views. Plenty of free parking, and I thought the prices were very fair...$5 for a large glass of beer, or you can do a mini glass flight of 4, where you get to pick all 4...I'll do that next time.

I had to go to Hendersonville 1 day because they have a Bank of America; Brevard doesn't. I walked up & down the main street. The Pinball mueum/arcade was closed, so check hours before you go. They have a small gem museum under a store front down a flight of stairs that I enjoyed. It was free, w/ a donations basket near the exit. That's a 15 min. activity. There's live music in H'ville too....I'd guess 2-3 venues during the week, & 5+ on weekends. Cute gift shops for the ladies, outfitters for the guys. Nice upscale cigar lounge. Sushi place on North edge of main street looked awesome.

H'Villes ~2x the size of Brevard. I dont think I'd drive to Brevard if I were you, unless you wanted to go to the Ecusta Brewery. There might be a better ones in H'ville, I'm not sure. Brevard rolls up the streets ~9pm, lots of eateries are closed Sunday-Monday.

Saturday mornings these towns have farmers markets that are fun to do for 30 minutes. They might shut down by October though, but I've been to Brevard's twice, and spent $30 each time on fresh flowers (I'm a sucker for Sunflowers), vegees (great tomatoes), honey, blueberry jam, basil, fresh farm eggs. October should be Apple time so apples/cider.

tip: check hours of op for everything you want to do, restaurants, bars, live music...it can be hit or miss.

Have fun, and plz let us know how your trip goes.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Thank you for all of the information. We will be there for 4 full days.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:14 PM

27 posts, read 37,353 times
All the hiking that was mentioned here sounds wonderful. Question: How bad are the ticks when hiking and even in your yard in the mountainish towns?

Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
We are on Beech Mt. We have found a few ticks over the years on our dogs and ourselves, but only one so far this year and it was on our son when he returned from a weekend in Charlotte NC.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonRidge View Post
All the hiking that was mentioned here sounds wonderful. Question: How bad are the ticks when hiking and even in your yard in the mountainish towns?
Havn't had a problem with ticks..

Old 08-21-2023, 06:32 AM

643 posts, read 669,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonRidge View Post
Totally depends on where you are hiking, how wide the trails are and if you can avoid brushing through vegetation. We find a tick on us or our dog here and there from spring through late fall but certain hikes are guaranteed we'll find more. I pulled 20+ off our dog and a dozen off my husband (((insert shudder here)))) after a hike in one of our favorite places - the Gamelands - have not been back since.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:08 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Havn't had a problem with ticks..
For some reason this year, there hasn't been many tics at all. I only have seen two or three on my dog this year which is very unusual. Usually when we hike, we occasionally find tics. We walk/hike daily.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Totally depends on where you are hiking, how wide the trails are and if you can avoid brushing through vegetation. We find a tick on us or our dog here and there from spring through late fall but certain hikes are guaranteed we'll find more. I pulled 20+ off our dog and a dozen off my husband (((insert shudder here)))) after a hike in one of our favorite places - the Gamelands - have not been back since.
The trails we usually hike on are well hiked and pretty much void of much brush. I guess this is why we havn't experienced any ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina