Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,741 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We moved here to Asheville 5 years ago. My husband teaches at UNCA and I will be starting a teaching job in Fletcher just over the county line in August. We have 2 little ones and want to move nearer my job. Any ideas on good neighborhoods between UNCA and Fletcher with houses around $250,000 or less? Of course, we have to fix up and sell our house (near Erwin High) first but we are starting to look around a bit. THANKS for any help. I am not sure which way to go -- toward Sweeten Creek Road or towards I-26. Any ideas are appreciated.

THANKS,
teacherteacher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM

63 posts, read 357,425 times
It's smart to start driving around and getting a feel for areas you may want to target when you get ready to make your move. There are lots of options between UNCA and Fletcher.

You could look at neighborhoods from Oakley all the way South to developments in Fletcher/Henderson.

Just a few:

Biltmore Terrace, Fairview Oaks (Oakley; Off Fairview Road)
Baldwin Cove (Arden; Off Christ School Road)
Brookwood, Muirfield, Saint Andrews, Turnberry (Arden; Mills Gap to Weston Road)
Hadley Park (Arden; Long Shoals to Ledbetter Road)
Laurel Park, Village at Avery's Creek (Arden; Long Shoals to 191)
Meadows of Bradley Branch (Arden; Off Airport Road, East of I-26)
Oak Park (Arden; Off 25, South of Airport Road)
Royal Pines (Arden; Off 25, North of Airport Road)
Skyland Springs (Skyland; Off 25, North of Long Shoals)
Livingston Farms (Fletcher; Mills Gap to Hoopers Creek)
River Stone (Fletcher; 25 to Butler Bridge, South of Airport Road)
St. Johns Woods (Fletcher; 25 to St. John)

This is hardly an exhaustive list, and I know the directions are kind of vague, so let me know if you need more detail.

Another good tip: If you find a neighborhood that looks good to you from the car, get out and take a walk around. I think you really learn more about a neighborhood on foot.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Thanks so much!

Dear Real Estate Agent,

Thanks for the reply. My question was my first post here. I didn't have nearly so many names of neighborhoods. You're a life (and time and gas) saver!

teacherteacher

Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM

63 posts, read 357,425 times
No problem. I'm glad you found the info helpful.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
WOW I hope everybody interested can make mental note of this thread. I can think of one other area South of I-40 that's between $200-250k: Bent Creek off Brevard Rd. But that's not very convenient to Fletcher...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 AM

70 posts, read 219,690 times
Fletcher is awesome. Half way between Downtown Asheville and Hendersonville. Tons of restaurants and shopping and nice people. Good vets dentists and more. We love it here. If you are not looking for new and "cookie cutter" homes, then you also have a lot of choices to buy here and do renovations to your taste. That was our choice and for many a hard one, but we got the home of our dreams and are redoing it the way we want.
If you are looking for newer homes...Livingston Farms is full of BARGAINS now. So many are for sale there and the prices for the size home and only a few years old are really great values. You can make good deals there now, but plan on staying there a while to gain on your investment.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks to all who posted in reply. With gas prices as they are, it's tough to figure where to live so the kids and I can get to work/school early in the morning in Fletcher and the husband can get to UNCA. I'll keep looking. I wish someone would come along and want our home "as is" (great house that needs some cosmetic work on the inside) at a fair price. (Believe it or not, our letter carrier brought our old house in Durham, NC on word of mouth without a realtor. Can't expect that to happen twice.) THANKS AGAIN, ALL!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
One note that may help: There are at least two UNCA professors that live in South Asheville that take advantage of UNCA's agreement with Asheville transit. Their bus passes are paid by the University. You could live in southern Buncombe and he would not need to commute by car, or even pay a cent in commuting costs.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Bus passes

Thank you, cooperwx. I've never heard of this option for UNCA profs. My husband runs a lab and teaches, so I don't know if this option would always work but it might work part of the time. I'm thrilled to get this info. Thanks for passing it on to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina