Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 10:54 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times

Advertisements

I think if the ambrichard is concerned with the political climate of the area they are considering retiring in it makes sense to research those specific areas such as town/city government rather than a broader district because you may find a more moderate or even liberal area within a larger red area, like Boone being in Virginia Foxx's district. That said the three areas mentioned are pretty deep red.

Other areas that might be worth considering (also deep red) are Wilkes County, home of the annual MerleFest at Wilkes Community College if that's of interest, and nearby W. Kerr Scott Reservoir. It's in the foothills, but with great views, and about 45 minutes from Boone and Blowing Rock.

Have you thought about the area around Abingdon VA and Bristol VA/TN? It's close to South Holston Lake and a beautiful part of the country.

The area around Badin Lake near Albemarle is in the Uwharrie Mountains, which are more like foothills (very old and eroded by time), but could be some good kayaking there.

Finally, not sure if you are wanting to stick with the mountains, but it might be worth looking around Saxapahaw NC. There is some good paddling on the Haw River there and a real mix of politics. It can get a little testy at times, but usually everyone from lefty hippies to super conservatives manage to get along. Your price point is low, but doable at time, but it is a hotter market there. If you liked Asheville I think you would like the area although it does not have the scenic beauty of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 12:07 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
OP there are a smattering of listings in/around desirable towns like Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Bakersville and Newland which would indicate you might consider that area as well. They're all pretty much smaller 2/1 cottage-style homes but certainly livable for a retired couple. The Burnsville-Spruce Pine area attracts a fair number of artists due to the proximity of the Penland School as well as the well-known Toe River Arts Valley art community, which serves to also moderate the political landscape a bit from "deep red". Newland up in Avery County is similar in my opinion with a sizable population of second home folks from Florida and Georgia who tend more moderate.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M59373-05805
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M93604-86905
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M50996-65978
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M98749-48217
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M61191-74521
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M51996-50502
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M56280-70569
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M59318-59904
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M57809-33447
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M62551-93589
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M59588-70253

Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
I agree, check out Burnsville, Sylva and Waynesville.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
OP, I suggest that you check each area for Senior Centers. They are state run and regulated. They are a source of meeting others in your age group and provide helpful services. Find them in each area and check them out.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've been redistricted to Foxx from McHenry. I'm moderate, came here from South Jersey where my town was gerrymandered into a rural right wing congressional district from the time that I could vote. I voted against that congressman every 2 years and did the same when I came here and found myself in another gerrymandered district with McHenry representing it. In the last shuffle I landed in Foxx's district. I like her less than McHenry.

I'm trying to respect the OP by not going into much detail. Boone is not in their list of possibilities, so I didn't mention it. I don't think that your post was helpful other than you wanted to take a slap at me. I have lived in both districts. I felt that I could be helpful. Have you lived in both districts? Oh, that's right, you take every chance you get to say that you live in Chapel Hill. Why didn't you mention it in this thread?
At least you didn't inherit Madison Cawthorn. Politics aside, he is an arrogant, unqualified hothead. Too young, inexperienced college dropout, and unwilling to negotiate for the common good. A far right wing Trumpster who vows to "fight the libs." Rather than work across the aisle to seek a common sense solution for the good of the country. While I can support some of the conservative principles espouse by Trump, such as small government, strong defense, secure the border, and protect the 2nd Amendment, I will admit his means and methods were wrong. And his inflammatory rhetoric was childish and divisive, serving as a contributing factor to the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6th. I respect Liz Cheney and it was wrong the way they forced her out due to the influence of Trump. But I am more moderate than my typical neighbors here in Upstate SC, although I used to live in Charlotte and Concord.

But not to digress, Morganton is a nice town at the foothills approaching Asheville. It tends to lean conservative, just like Hickory and Lenoir. Although it is close to Asheville, it is classified as Charlotte media market. I like how it is closer to the mountains. But Lenoir is also on the way to Boone, so it would be a comparison between the 2 if you like being near the mountains.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:02 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Also Hickory and Lenoir are on Hwy. 321 which provides more direct access to I-85, Gastonia, and Charlotte. For Morganton you have to travel down I-40 to get to 321 but it is also a direct route to Asheville.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Also Hickory and Lenoir are on Hwy. 321 which provides more direct access to I-85, Gastonia, and Charlotte. For Morganton you have to travel down I-40 to get to 321 but it is also a direct route to Asheville.
Hickory is 30 minutes from Gastonia. This is important for shopping purposes.

Hickory and Gastonia both have their own baseball teams.

All 3 locations that the OP is looking at are in the Charlotte media market.

I'm close in age to the OP. While I'm not big on joining, I highly recommend that the OP check for senior centers. They can provide answers to a lot of questions that come up along the way. They vary by location but they will provide assistance, appropriate to older people. Some are run by counties and some are run by cities. Some provide day trips. Some provide assistance for getting medical help.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
At least you didn't inherit Madison Cawthorn. Politics aside, he is an arrogant, unqualified hothead. Too young, inexperienced college dropout, and unwilling to negotiate for the common good. A far right wing Trumpster who vows to "fight the libs." Rather than work across the aisle to seek a common sense solution for the good of the country. While I can support some of the conservative principles espouse by Trump, such as small government, strong defense, secure the border, and protect the 2nd Amendment, I will admit his means and methods were wrong. And his inflammatory rhetoric was childish and divisive, serving as a contributing factor to the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6th. I respect Liz Cheney and it was wrong the way they forced her out due to the influence of Trump. But I am more moderate than my typical neighbors here in Upstate SC, although I used to live in Charlotte and Concord.

But not to digress, Morganton is a nice town at the foothills approaching Asheville. It tends to lean conservative, just like Hickory and Lenoir. Although it is close to Asheville, it is classified as Charlotte media market. I like how it is closer to the mountains. But Lenoir is also on the way to Boone, so it would be a comparison between the 2 if you like being near the mountains.
To be honest, in my opinion, Virginia Foxx is one step down from him.

McHenry used to have an annual town meeting for Cleveland County in Shelby. One year that didn't work out so he scheduled it in Kings Mountain. Every city police officer was scheduled that day, either on a regular shift or to be available for the town hall. I'm not aware of any attempt from Foxx. Only time will tell what happens with the next redistricting.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:17 PM

104 posts, read 148,505 times
Thank you all for insights. It's a lot to mull over. We'll take a look at all three locations. Judge's Riverside Restaurant seems like a good starting point for Morganton. Or maybe Josh's on Union Square in Hickory. I haven't had dinner and I smell food cooking in our kitchen which is why I'm thinking of restaruants we will probably like in your area.
Thanks again to all.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:30 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
Thank you all for insights. It's a lot to mull over. We'll take a look at all three locations. Judge's Riverside Restaurant seems like a good starting point for Morganton. Or maybe Josh's on Union Square in Hickory. I haven't had dinner and I smell food cooking in our kitchen which is why I'm thinking of restaruants we will probably like in your area.
Thanks again to all.
Check out Root & Vine in Morganton, and the Smoked Ham Shank. You're welcome!

http://rootandvinerestaurant.com/wp-...inner1120F.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina