Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:04 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Drum circle, live music, festivals, tubing, Sliding Rock, visit smaller towns around, hiking, Blue Ridge Parkway, WNC Farmer's Market, The Regeneration Station, Tobacco Barn, Farmony's Safari Edventure, etc. If you want to go a bit farther, you can take a day trip to Gatlinburg, TN or Greenville, SC. I was just talking about the Equestrian Center yesterday. I'd love to visit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 11:18 AM

642 posts, read 669,047 times
@beckycat Farmony is on my list and there is a farm to table place near there IIRC but can't think of the name of it at the moment. Would make for a full, fun day.

The tour at Dr King's Bison farm is fun - have brought different guests there a few times. Sierra Nevada includes that as part of their employee training as well as Hickory Nut Gap Farm so employees know first hand what is offered.

Another on my list is the Full Moon Wolf Dog Sanctuary in Black Mountain - the next full moon howl in is Oct 12. They used to do it as a potluck dinner but not seeing that on the website anymore.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:25 AM

204 posts, read 202,274 times
One that is on my list of places to go is the Arboretum near Asheville,I’m planning on taking my sister and brother in law when they are visiting from Germany. Also been thinking about Grandfather Mountain as another possibility.
I think Biltmore is overpriced,I’ve been to a few castles in Germany and even Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria charges only €12 to get in.

Last edited by Dackelmom; 09-28-2019 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 11:53 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Also, a visit to the WNC Nature Center in Asheville is fun, especially for children.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Of course that is totally subjective and what's fun to me might not be to you...BUT... thought it might be useful to gather some suggestions in one thread that can be added to over time. We are barely scratching the surface of exploring our new home base and hearing from others who get out more is always nice. Any info is welcome from details on specific hikes, venues for music or festivals..... whatever you think is worth sharing.

We recently had out of town guests who wanted to see the Moog Museum in Asheville - sounded like an absolute snore to me but being good hosts, we went. Total shock, I loved the tour! Arrived about 20 minutes before the start which was just enough time to play around with all the hands on displays but not too much IYKWIM. The tour of the factory, seeing the various work stations, all hands on, nothing automated and watching that community at work was very interesting. Free Admission for museum and tour.

Another time and with other visitors we spent a couple of hours at the Appalachian Pinball Museum in Hendersonville. I understand there is a larger version in Asheville. Again, not my cup of tea but it was fun for a short time and especially fun to see our guests enjoying themselves. And it certainly is visual throwback with a huge variety of vintage machines to play. $10 admission for a full day of play, in and out whenever you want. Without playing you are welcome to walk around and just look at all the pinball machines for free.

Will report back after we go next week with friends but I'm looking forward to Saturday Night Lights at the Tryon Equestrian Center on Saturdays through Oct. Admission and parking are free, gates open at 5, there are vendors, restaurants, magicians, carousel rides, live music and of course the horses. Each night is a Grand Prix jumping event.

Not strictly WNC but we will be canoeing/kayaking on Lake Jocassee (upstate SC) next week also - fingers crossed the weather cooperates. It looks to be a gorgeous small lake.

Many of the local festivals are 'fun' to do once but haven't found many that warrant a return visit for me but there are many we haven't been to yet. Recommendations?

Lots of ideas on websites like Romantic Asheville but they can't cover it all. What have you done, where have you been that you'd suggest to others?
We went to the Tryon Equestrian Center tonight. It's definitely worth going, especially if you have little ones. My granddaughter loved all the free activities as you walked in from riding a horse, the carousel, face painting, magicians, clowns, bull ride and more. There are different restaurants and shops onsite. They have a live band and adult drinks. Finally, the horse show which was enjoyable to watch. I would go back and would recommend it.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
@beckycat Farmony is on my list and there is a farm to table place near there IIRC but can't think of the name of it at the moment. Would make for a full, fun day.

The tour at Dr King's Bison farm is fun - have brought different guests there a few times. Sierra Nevada includes that as part of their employee training as well as Hickory Nut Gap Farm so employees know first hand what is offered.

Another on my list is the Full Moon Wolf Dog Sanctuary in Black Mountain - the next full moon howl in is Oct 12. They used to do it as a potluck dinner but not seeing that on the website anymore.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Wolf Sanctuary. I still would like to make it out there.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 PM

28 posts, read 32,611 times
I don't think Mt. Mitchell has been mentioned, and in my opinion it is highly underrated! It's the highest peak of the Appalachian Mountain range and, at 6684 ft., is the highest east of the Mississippi. Best of all, entrance to the state park is FREE, and there are several ranger-led activities where you can learn about the local flora and fauna. There is a small museum and gift shop, lots of hiking trails and, once again, it's FREE!!

Old 10-01-2019, 10:01 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Of course that is totally subjective and what's fun to me might not be to you...BUT... thought it might be useful to gather some suggestions in one thread that can be added to over time. We are barely scratching the surface of exploring our new home base and hearing from others who get out more is always nice. Any info is welcome from details on specific hikes, venues for music or festivals..... whatever you think is worth sharing.

We recently had out of town guests who wanted to see the Moog Museum in Asheville - sounded like an absolute snore to me but being good hosts, we went. Total shock, I loved the tour! Arrived about 20 minutes before the start which was just enough time to play around with all the hands on displays but not too much IYKWIM. The tour of the factory, seeing the various work stations, all hands on, nothing automated and watching that community at work was very interesting. Free Admission for museum and tour.

Another time and with other visitors we spent a couple of hours at the Appalachian Pinball Museum in Hendersonville. I understand there is a larger version in Asheville. Again, not my cup of tea but it was fun for a short time and especially fun to see our guests enjoying themselves. And it certainly is visual throwback with a huge variety of vintage machines to play. $10 admission for a full day of play, in and out whenever you want. Without playing you are welcome to walk around and just look at all the pinball machines for free.

Will report back after we go next week with friends but I'm looking forward to Saturday Night Lights at the Tryon Equestrian Center on Saturdays through Oct. Admission and parking are free, gates open at 5, there are vendors, restaurants, magicians, carousel rides, live music and of course the horses. Each night is a Grand Prix jumping event.

Not strictly WNC but we will be canoeing/kayaking on Lake Jocassee (upstate SC) next week also - fingers crossed the weather cooperates. It looks to be a gorgeous small lake.

Many of the local festivals are 'fun' to do once but haven't found many that warrant a return visit for me but there are many we haven't been to yet. Recommendations?

Lots of ideas on websites like Romantic Asheville but they can't cover it all. What have you done, where have you been that you'd suggest to others?
if you can wait around til next year, you could acquire Legionnaires disease at the State Fair. Fun for the whole family!(ProTip: bring only the family members who wont shut up about politics around the Thanksgiving table)

Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
if you can wait around til next year, you could acquire Legionnaires disease at the State Fair. Fun for the whole family!(ProTip: bring only the family members who wont shut up about politics around the Thanksgiving table)

Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 AM

81 posts, read 87,310 times
Any suggestions for Wintertime activities? Visitor coming from France this Xmas; I don’t think Biltmore will be very special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina