Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 15,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoni Sol View Post
I am too, looking for my place in NC or Sc, and a creative, open minded, apolitical, sensitive and sensible person.
Reading all these super useful observations...Burnsville and Spruce Pine sounds interesting--how is finding work there? And Lenoir, is it liberal friendly? (it is not quite as snowy as Boone)
The internet statistics say that Fayetteville is liberal--although there is the huge military presence--how does this work? Anyone knows?

As the world is now, it would be wise to move somewhere where the weather is not overly cold and where one can grow food for a large part of the year...I can do my own yoga at home. It is just that one needs to have a community now more that ever, like minded people are more cohesive as communities. And it brings the most out of people when they feel accepted, they are able to give and create more.
This is an old thread but today in Burnsville depending on what you are looking for I think jobs are easy enough to find though a lot may be retail or restaurant/fast food. There is also Altec and Glen Raven which are a couple of major employers here. Your main challenge is the major lack of housing. Rentals are very hard to find and the sales market is also limited and often either expensive or with homes needing lots of work. A big challenge is that so many of the homes here are vacation rentals here that limit available housing for residents. I think I've seen a number of over 300 vacation rentals in Yancey County.

I can't speak specifically for Spruce Pine, but I imagine it faces similar challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 04:39 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
The internet statistics say that Fayetteville is liberal--although there is the huge military presence--how does this work? .......
Fayetteville is not really a liberal area. There is enough of a local Black population that votes for Democrats. However, many Black people are social conservatives on gay rights and abortion, others, like Rep. Alma Adams are true liberals.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:08 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjun09 View Post
This is an old thread but today in Burnsville depending on what you are looking for I think jobs are easy enough to find though a lot may be retail or restaurant/fast food. There is also Altec and Glen Raven which are a couple of major employers here. Your main challenge is the major lack of housing. Rentals are very hard to find and the sales market is also limited and often either expensive or with homes needing lots of work. A big challenge is that so many of the homes here are vacation rentals here that limit available housing for residents. I think I've seen a number of over 300 vacation rentals in Yancey County.

I can't speak specifically for Spruce Pine, but I imagine it faces similar challenges.
It is very difficult for residents in WNC working in something like retail or restaurant work to support themselves with the high housing prices.

My girlfriend lives about halfway between Weaverville and Marshall. Weaverville is basically a suburb of Asheville, left-leaning, and has been "discovered." Marshall is tiny, but it's slogan is "the creative life on the river." There's a natural foods market, hemp store, and other somewhat "left-catering" businesses. I wouldn't be surprised to see Madison County starting to turn people as left-leaning people priced out of the immediate Asheville area start fanning out into surrounding communities.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:59 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
I am too, looking for my place in NC or Sc, and a creative, open minded, apolitical, sensitive and sensible person.
Reading all these super useful observations...Burnsville and Spruce Pine sounds interesting--how is finding work there? And Lenoir, is it liberal friendly? (it is not quite as snowy as Boone)
The internet statistics say that Fayetteville is liberal--although there is the huge military presence--how does this work? Anyone knows?

As the world is now, it would be wise to move somewhere where the weather is not overly cold and where one can grow food for a large part of the year...I can do my own yoga at home. It is just that one needs to have a community now more that ever, like minded people are more cohesive as communities. And it brings the most out of people when they feel accepted, they are able to give and create more.

If you are interested in Eastern NC some places to consider might be Greenville (home of ECU big college town) or coastal towns like new Bern or Beaufort.

As far as western NC it's definitely "red" with some blue islands. Even if you live in a conservative area no one's going to bother you. It's not like moving to Portland Oregon where people are going to confront and harrass you if you aren't conforming to what they deem acceptable. Conservative people in western NC just want to be left alone. Sure they may fly a flag in their yard that you disagree with but that's about all you have to worry about.

It's much easier to be a liberal in a conservative area than it is to be a conservative in a liberal area.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:44 AM

187 posts, read 115,451 times
yeah be careful living around conservatives. They're always waiting in the woods waiting to pitchfork and lynch you.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Reading all these super useful observations...Burnsville and Spruce Pine sounds interesting--how is finding work there?
Just.....don't. I don't know how you got that impression.
You would be terribly, terribly unhappy.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:04 PM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Just.....don't. I don't know how you got that impression.
You would be terribly, terribly unhappy.
Because the area has a very significant population of artisans (pottery, painting, metalworking etc) who have tendencies similar to the OP. Involvement with that community would go a long way toward assimilating into the community and would recommend checking out Penland School and/or Toe River Arts. In terms of work it would depend upon your skill level and expectation of income. There are local grocery stores like Ingles or Sav Mor, Blue Ridge Hospital in Spruce Pine, various medical offices, restaurants, varying smaller professional offices and what not.

https://www.toeriverarts.org/
https://penland.org/gallery/

Old 09-24-2022, 05:07 AM

789 posts, read 784,819 times
Yancey co /Burnsville is fairly well split republican to democrats but that are a fair number of blue dog democrats that are gun friendly .

There area a fair number of artisans but there not a majority and penland school is mitchell co . Seems like Boone or asheville area are what your looking for .

Around here if you hear gun fire near by Its not something to be concerned about . Its ether a hunter or just some one getting some practice time in on a range on there property . Yancey is also county with a top 5% of its population that are
legal concealed carry folks .

There can be plenty of work depending on skills BUT rentals are not easy to find or cost effective . People tend to move here to build or buy a home and live a good rural life .

party map -
https://bestneighborhood.org/conserv...cey-county-nc/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina